SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
ExMiata
ExMiata is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Engine Temp Gauge Doesn't Work

Hi Folks!

I just picked up my 2001 SC2 and the temp gauge doesn't appear to work. No idea why. Suggestions?

It also appears as though the dash lights don't work. I didn't get an owner's manual with it, as I don't know which fuse(s) to check.

"Luck" does not seem to be with me - somebody hit by rear bumper in the dealership parking lot. I bought it "as is"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExMiata's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExMiata reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Engine Temp Gauge Doesn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMiata View Post
Hi Folks!

I just picked up my 2001 SC2 and the temp gauge doesn't appear to work. No idea why. Suggestions?

It also appears as though the dash lights don't work. I didn't get an owner's manual with it, as I don't know which fuse(s) to check.

"Luck" does not seem to be with me - somebody hit by rear bumper in the dealership parking lot. I bought it "as is"
speedometer and tach work?

By temp gauge doesn't work do you mean it just stays all the way over to the left?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
By temp gauge doesn't work do you mean it just stays all the way over to the left?
I'm betting it's at the halfway mark all the time.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I'm betting it's at the halfway mark all the time.
That's what I was wondering...if that's the case then the issue with the dash lights is seperate(or that was my thinking) if it never comes up and the dash lights don't work that's a whole other ball of wax

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
ExMiata

The gauge needle stays all the way to the left....speedometer and tach both work

Now that it is dark out I can see dash lights, but the odometer is dark.

BUT NOW SHE WON'T START!! I have to punch the gas pedal hard...then it kinda coughs to life, but I have to work the pedal a few times to keep it going.

I think I got it from a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ExMiata reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

2001....check the ECTS and change it out if you have to. Some of the 2001's were forgotten and had an old style sensor put it. you want a brass one

might just help your starting issue also

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Staggman
Staggman is on a distinguished road

sounds like a thermostat, some 194 bulbs, a bottle of Techron Fuel Additive, and quite possibly a tune up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Staggman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Staggman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Staggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggman View Post
sounds like a thermostat, some 194 bulbs, a bottle of Techron Fuel Additive, and quite possibly a tune up.
The only confusing part here is the thermostat suggestion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
ExMiata

I let it sit a while and it started - had to drive it to physical therapy(from the Miata accident) - hard starting again. When I got home I noticed a large "wet" spot on the driveway. I couldn't figure out what it was 'cause it soaked in and its too dark out.

Can a bad ECTS leak??

Last edited by ExMiata; 01-16-2008 at 08:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Check your coolant again. It needs to be up to the seam on the reservoir. If it's low, you have a coolant leak, one that could strand you, and if left, could damage the engine. This _might_ also explain the hard starting and the gauge not working.

A bad ECTS can leak, but it would have to be a pretty bad crack. Unlikely to leak enough to leave a puddle on the ground. Still, it's probably bad anyway (IOW, multiple, slightly related problems).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
ExMiata

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

I checked the coolant level hot the bottle is full, but could there be a blockage?

Not related to the starting, but my power steering fluid was way down. I topped it off. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Check your coolant again. It needs to be up to the seam on the reservoir. If it's low, you have a coolant leak, one that could strand you, and if left, could damage the engine. This _might_ also explain the hard starting and the gauge not working.

A bad ECTS can leak, but it would have to be a pretty bad crack. Unlikely to leak enough to leave a puddle on the ground. Still, it's probably bad anyway (IOW, multiple, slightly related problems).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

I checked the coolant level hot the bottle is full, but could there be a blockage?

Not related to the starting, but my power steering fluid was way down. I topped it off. I'll keep an eye on it.
since you checked the level hot, go back out there and undo the cap to the reservoir and don't tighten it until it has cooled down....the plastic side tanks on these radiators don't always do well when the system is checked hot and then sealed .....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
ExMiata

DONE! phew...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
since you checked the level hot, go back out there and undo the cap to the reservoir and don't tighten it until it has cooled down....the plastic side tanks on these radiators don't always do well when the system is checked hot and then sealed .....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #14
Staggman
Staggman is on a distinguished road

well, if you had a bad thermostat, (they are designed to fail in an open position) coolant would be flowing all the time... never allowing it, or the motor, to heat up enough to register on the guage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Staggman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Staggman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Staggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Check the ECTS for the old type, and the connector for corrosion. Replace as necessary. If the circuit is high resistance due to a failure or corrosion, that could cause no indication on the temp gauge and contribute to hard starting and poor idle.

From experience, even with an open t-stat in winter weather, the gauge should come off the peg after a 5-10 minutes and miles, just not get above 1/8 scale during normal driving. And an open t-stat should not effect starting.

Check the puddle. If it is coolant and on the passenger side under the engine, it may be from a leak in water pump, perhaps around the shaft. If the pump is leaking, replace it as soon as you can. It might also be from hoses. If the puddle in on the driver side, it might a hose or a radiator end tank crack, although 2001 sounds a bit early for the radiator end tank crack. And if you arfe in a warm climate, and the puddle appears to be just water, it might even be condensate from the A/C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #16
ExMiata

Quote:
Hi Folks!

Car is in the shop.......the mechanic called - the fan is hot wired to run as soon as the key is turned and there were soooo many codes he didn't know where to start. I convinced him to change the ECTS and fix the fan wire. He called back to say it's a miracle cure and all is well with the world.....NOT!
I drove it a block came to a stop sign and the brakes felt soft then pulled to the left, engine made some odd noises kinda deep knockclunk and the Service Engine Soon light came on. Back in the shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #17
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Car is in the shop.......the mechanic called - the fan is hot wired to run as soon as the key is turned and there were soooo many codes he didn't know where to start. I convinced him to change the ECTS and fix the fan wire. He called back to say it's a miracle cure and all is well with the world.....NOT!
I drove it a block came to a stop sign and the brakes felt soft then pulled to the left, engine made some odd noises kinda deep knockclunk and the Service Engine Soon light came on. Back in the shop.
You trust this shop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #18
ExMiata

Default Re: Engine Temp Gauge Doesn't Work - Update

OK, The code - torque converter clutch can not engage.

Because I have a third party warranty, the folks at my shop told me to take it to a transmission shop so we avoid any trouble with the warranty claim.

The wife of owner of the shop closest to me is expecting her first baby any moment and he is taking a week off when the baby is born. He has me "penciled' me in for Feb. 11th.

Might have to go somewhere else.

Suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
OK, The code - torque converter clutch can not engage.
What was the actual code number, not their interpretation of it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #20
ExMiata

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
What was the actual code number, not their interpretation of it?
I forget

The mechanic did say, but I was at work and.....

I'll check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!