SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturnized Corsa on the Horizon?

A new story entry has been added:

Saturnized Corsa on the Horizon?

Quote:
Rumors of the subcompact Opel Corsa coming stateside to join Saturn's lineup have been circulating for long time. The idea became a matter of when

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Saturnized Corsa on the Horizon?

LOL I said the ASTRA and Corsa would be sold as SATURNS right after the Opel/Saturn LS hit the market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
BOSSC2
BOSSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

How much will it cost is th most important question. These new small cars are too expensive to justify buying one over a slightly used car.

Other than that, I think it is good. I'm glad we are getting Vauxhalls. Now can we get some european Fords please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BOSSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BOSSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BOSSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

We need these cars YESTERDAY! (Especially here in Canada, where the small car is king.) I just hope thye're not too expensive.

But Cahrlie, becareful in your title block wording, jeez! If you're not careful, you'll conjure up some unwanted parallels.

Ya know, that other european designed sub-compact.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post

Ya know, that other european designed sub-compact.
hahaha.. The Omni/Horizon has become a well loved car on this forum apparently!

The Corsa looks girly... Hahaha.. I think it will do well among rich-daddies-trying-to-buy-their-bratty-daughters-brand-new-cars crowd

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

My brother drives a Corsa (really his wife's car, but he's finally got an English driver's license).

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
My brother drives a Corsa (really his wife's car, but he's finally got an English driver's license).
Did he get an English accent like Madonna and Britney?

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Devil Re: Saturnized Corsa on the Horizon?

I feel that it was GM's plan to leave the Corsa price market segment to Chevrolet as Saturn's direction is clearly "up scale markets". But that was before $3.00 a gallon gasoline. We all heard Mr. Lutz state that the next generatrion Opel Corsa would be marketed here as a Saturn Corsa.

Regardless of Saturn's up scale direction, they need the Corsa to compete in this insane $3.00 per gallon fuel market because gas prices aren't going down anytime soon. All indications are, gas will continue it's upward spiral.
:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
BOSSC2
BOSSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

All I wanted as a kid was an Omni. For some reason I really liked them. I still get a little excite when I see one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BOSSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BOSSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BOSSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet View Post
I feel that it was GM's plan to leave the Corsa price market segment to Chevrolet as Saturn's direction is clearly "up scale markets". But that was before $3.00 a gallon gasoline. We all heard Mr. Lutz state that the next generatrion Opel Corsa would be marketed here as a Saturn Corsa.

Regardless of Saturn's up scale direction, they need the Corsa to compete in this insane $3.00 per gallon fuel market because gas prices aren't going down anytime soon. All indications are, gas will continue it's upward spiral.
I don't think GM was intent on taking Saturn out of this market segment. It's not as much a matter of price as it is segment. The Corsa will/should cost more than the Aveo, since Saturn is still going to be more upmarket compared to Chevrolet. This would mean that the Corsa would come with more features standard and be a better all around car.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a lot of future Corsa in this Saturn Concept that was revealed on Monday?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSC2 View Post
All I wanted as a kid was an Omni. For some reason I really liked them. I still get a little excite when I see one.
Trust me, you're much much much better off in your SC2. I had an Omni (Horizon actually) and all I wanted to do was not have one.

NOTE: The picture I posted a few posts up is actually of a Plymouth Horizon, and that was my tie-in to the title. The only difference in the cars was a subtly different grille and badges (only name bages, all the Chrysler products wore the samepentastar, which fueld the confusion ). Chrysler was just as bad if not worse than GM for it's rebadging in the 80's, they just had fewer divisions to spread the cars across and only one logo to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post

That was my first car. Almost identical to that one. Mine was a 1979 that I bought in 1989.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSC2 View Post
The regular Omni or the GLHS?

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Always thought it was a blatant ripoff of the VW Rabbit.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Always thought it was a blatant ripoff of the VW Rabbit.
Yeah, it does look a lot like the rabbit at the time. I think it may of even had a VW engine in it. I know it wasnt a Chrysler or Mitsubishi engine. The thing was more gutless than a Saturn TBI SOHC. At least the regular Omni/Horizons were. I never drove a GLHS.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

most cars in those days were pretty gutless. gms 3800 v6 was 110 hp. celebritys, cieras etc with the iron duke were about 90 or 95 hp. high output v6 was 130 and z28s and transams were about 180hp. in those days 200 hp was just a dream except for a few cars like the vette which was right around 200 depending on the year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Yeah, it does look a lot like the rabbit at the time. I think it may of even had a VW engine in it. I know it wasnt a Chrysler or Mitsubishi engine. The thing was more gutless than a Saturn TBI SOHC. At least the regular Omni/Horizons were. I never drove a GLHS.
VW motors till 1981 then 2.2L K-car motor

Yes most then were gutless - 205hp in the GT Mustang seemed huge at the time...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post

Nothing wrong with the K-cars. My brother has a 1992 Spirit R/T. That sucker is fast. And its all stock.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
The 2.2 became available in the Omni/Horizon/etc. in '81, but the standard, 'til '83, was still the 1.7 VW engine. (That's what your '79 would've had, Mike.) Automatic trannies were all Chryslers, but the 4-speed was a VW tranny. Lookit that TDI -> SL2 drop-in for a glimpse of what it sorta looked like. Photos of that project show the same funky flat flanges on the tranny outputs, driveshafts bolted to with six allen bolts. Actually made it very easy to do both driveline and suspension work, since you didn't need room to pull a splined shaft out. I transplanted a complete engine/tranny in one, using a "fat lady lift".

For a while, they put some funky French 1.6 in 'em, with a Mitsu carb or some such. They really made some weird mongrels of those cars. Then, of course, there was the Shelby and GLH (Goes Like He!l).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The 2.2 became available in the Omni/Horizon/etc. in '81, but the standard, 'til '83, was still the 1.7 VW engine. (That's what your '79 would've had, Mike.) Automatic trannies were all Chryslers, but the 4-speed was a VW tranny.

For a while, they put some funky French 1.6 in 'em, with a Mitsu carb or some such. They really made some weird mongrels of those cars. Then, of course, there was the Shelby and GLH (Goes Like He!l).
They were developed by Simca, a European arm of Chrysler Corp at the time. My '86 had the 1.6L Simca engine and auto tranny. They were ugly ( I had that afterthought 3rd brake light stuck on the back of mine) and very simple cars (perhaps some could liken them to the S-series) and they served their owner's well. I enjoyed mine because I hated it at first and it proved itself a decent ride.

And BTW, K-cars RULE!

But this Corsa is something GM really needs right now. The Aveo is cheap crap and it shows. Hopefully the Corsa can add some quality to GM's small car reputation. The same goes for the Astra, as well. We're about to find out how that goes...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation