SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
KenCary
KenCary is on a distinguished road

Default Resistor Mod in IAT Sensor?

Has anyone tried adding a resitor in line with the IAT sensor?

If you do this you can fool the PCM into give more igntition advance.

I am about to try this and I am not sure of what resitance range to start with.

Suggestions?

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenCary's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenCary reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenCary is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Resistor Mod in IAT Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCary View Post
Suggestions?
DON'T! You asked and you received.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
KenCary

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek View Post
DON'T! You asked and you received.

OK I appeciate your strong feelings about this, but this post does not tell me why you feel so strongly about this.

I have done this with other cars and it works, not as good as a PCM program or piggyback chip, but it works and it is free. What's the worst that could happen--- check engine light? A little spark knock? I can undo this mod in 1 minute if I don't like it.

On the other hand, maybe I am missing something. I don't claim to know everything, that is why I am posting this question.

Fair enough?

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KenCary reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Asterixx
Asterixx will become famous soon enoughAsterixx will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
1996 SL1

These cars run plenty rich as it is. I can't see richening them up even more helping matters, and will probably only serve to carbon up your rings even faster than stock...

1996 SL1 5m loaded except sunroof *SOLD*
1997 SL2 5m Loaded including sunroof, fog lights, and console bin.
Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judacati terram

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asterixx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asterixx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asterixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCary View Post
What's the worst that could happen?
These cars run way rich as it is. Fooling the PCM into thinking its colder than it really is would cause fouling of the spark plugs, the O2 sensor(s), clogg the catalytic converter, poor performance and poor fuel economy.

In the short term, you would waste money on gas the goes unburnt out the tailpipe. In the long term, you'd ruin hundereds of dollars in parts. All for a $0.25 part that really does nothing beneficial.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
KenCary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
These cars run way rich as it is. Fooling the PCM into thinking its colder than it really is would cause fouling of the spark plugs, the O2 sensor(s), clogg the catalytic converter, poor performance and poor fuel economy.

In the short term, you would waste money on gas the goes unburnt out the tailpipe. In the long term, you'd ruin hundereds of dollars in parts. All for a $0.25 part that really does nothing beneficial.

OK now this is some useful information. I did not realize that the Saturn ran so rich. I don't think a few degrees shift would cause as much disaster as you mention, but you point is well taken.

Thanks for the good info.

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

BTW, the iat resistor mod is not an ignition advance trick as it has absolutely nothing to do with the ignition system's electronically controlled timing. There are numerous threads, if you take the time to research it, in these forums using the search function, reading the suggested threads initially posted at the bottom of these posts, or simply wading through the posts. The members here are not impressed when someone comes here presuming to know a few facts without some research behind this and will let you know very quickly, if not abruptly, to cease any lengthy postings since it been covered so many times in the past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
asdf
Advanced Member
asdf is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

You have to realize though that it will only have an affect on the fuel control until the O2 sensor warms up. Once the O2 sensor is online, it makes all the corrections to maintain the 14.7:1.

If you disconnect the O2 sensor, it will always run off those sensors however.

If you really wanted to get serious, you'd want to use a scan tool to observe the effects to be able to tune it. The MAP and ECTS also play a part with those operations.

But, with a knock sensor integrated into the system, the car is suppose to utilize maximum spark advance without spark knocking anyways...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxgoof View Post
But, with a knock sensor integrated into the system, the car is suppose to utilize maximum spark advance without spark knocking anyways...
Though it doesn't change anything in the original topic of the replies to this post, this statement isn't entirely true. Spark tables are tied to fuel tables. There are many fuel tables that have associated spark tables with very conservative spark profiles. In these tables, the engine would acheive nothing near full or optimum spark advance. Though, in general, what you write is true, just not in an absolute sense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

I did the opposite.I put a 110ohm resistor to fool the engine into thinking the intake air is 224*.according to my scanguage, it's netting me around 2-4 more m.p.g.

www.bold-fortune.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
deadmeat3344
deadmeat3344 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxgoof View Post
You have to realize though that it will only have an affect on the fuel control until the O2 sensor warms up. Once the O2 sensor is online, it makes all the corrections to maintain the 14.7:1.
At WOT is around 12 (from my readings)

Saturns are slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deadmeat3344's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deadmeat3344 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deadmeat3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

My saturn ran 9.8:1 at WOT before I put the SAFC in. Adding more fuel would definitely NOT help you in this situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

It does not run off the O2 sensor at WOT. WOT is not normal operation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Though it doesn't change anything in the original topic of the replies to this post, this statement isn't entirely true. Spark tables are tied to fuel tables. There are many fuel tables that have associated spark tables with very conservative spark profiles. In these tables, the engine would acheive nothing near full or optimum spark advance. Though, in general, what you write is true, just not in an absolute sense.
I was pretty sure that, while yes it does use a table as a baseline, it was still constantly pushing the ignition timing to its max (for fuel economy).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Under most of the maps, that's true. But under some, it provides a very slow and limited advance rate. That is why goofing around with the sensors anticipating some improvement somewhere can put you in a place you didn't intend. Doing these things without the benefit of at least reviewing sensor data for a baseline is not good tuning discipline.

And anyone running A/F ratios below 12:1 on a stock engine has some serious tuning issues going on. 9.6:1 would be pouring black smoke out the back. Must be something wrong with the wideband to see that kind of ratio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic torpedo View Post
My saturn ran 9.8:1 at WOT before I put the SAFC in. Adding more fuel would definitely NOT help you in this situation.
WOT is not closed-loop operation but that sounds a little on the rich side, even for a Saturn. Stock injectors and fuel pressure regulator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote