SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Watch Saturn's NAIAS Press Conference and Concept Unveiling Live at SaturnFans.com

A new story entry has been added:

Watch Saturn's NAIAS Press Conference and Concept Unveiling Live at SaturnFans.com

Quote:
At this year's North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, Saturn maintains its aggressive roll-out of new products and innovative technology with continued focus on European-inspired design and environmentally friendly, fuel efficient vehicles.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Watch Saturn's NAIAS Press Conference and Concept Unveiling Live at SaturnFans.co

Any idea of what Saturn will be unveiling? Is their concept car the next Aura?

Oh I can hardly wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Watch Saturn's NAIAS Press Conference and Concept Unveiling Live at SaturnFans.co

probably the Flextreme

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Watch Saturn's NAIAS Press Conference and Concept Unveiling Live at SaturnFans.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post

Oh I can hardly wait.

Just listened to Mark LaNeve's polished presentation. Even allowing for the hype that tends to mark such occasions (hehe), it was impressive that GM is tackling some vital problems in a multi-pronged, technologically advanced fashion. Of course, Toyota, with its enormous financial resources, is not exactly sitting fat dumb and happy as some other companies were 35 years ago, and Honda is no slouch either.

I was left with the following somewhat dispiriting "what if" thought. What if GM had, a decade ago, put even a quarter of the brainpower into this type of thinking as they are doing now? Surely, when they were flush with profits, they could have done so more easily than they can today. Yes, Wall Street would have probably knocked them for pursuing long-range thinking at the expense of this quarters earnings, but what a benefit it would have been to the business in longer term. I suspect, a decade ago, GM had the talent to do more or less what they are doing today. Certainly people who studied such matters realized that the price of oil was headed up significantly: I recall an article in Foreign Affairs in, I think, 1998, that compelling made that case.

Well that's my journey into a parallel universe where marketing types don't run the show. Was it Jack Smith, in the 90's, who said he didn't want any improvement in GM vehicles that he couldn't see? [I think he meant by visually inspecting at the interior or exterior of the car, but not troubling himself to pop the hood]? Much as I admire Honda, had GM shown the kind of leadership a mere decade ago that it is demonstrating now, well guys like me wouldn't be driving rice burners. As Norte Americanos, we can only hope it is not too late for this great American industry to prevail in world competition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

It was interesting to see that the press conference was conducted by high level GM Execs and Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak was brought on the stage only at the end. This was a GM show all the way and I hope it is a strong indication that GM is taking Saturn seriously in terms of investment and emphasis.

It is also interesting that GM seems to be now using Saturn to launch its upcoming new electric technologies from the 2 Mode Hybrid VUE through the Flexstreme. The new themes seem to be that Saturn will be a brand that will be both technologically innovative and "green". It seems to me that GM is trying to push an image that Saturn will once again be a GM test bed for new ideas, and represent something new and different from the company's past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote