SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Vas
Vas is on a distinguished road

Default Backup Camera on New Nav

Hi,
I took over a lease on a Outlook for the wife and it did not have Nav/DVD/Camera system. It had the 6 disc DVD chamger instead. So like so many people on this board I purchased a factory Nav system for the unit.

On the back of the Nav system there are 4 inputs. One for the Nav antenna, one for the radio antenna, and 2 for the large OEM plugs.

My questions are these. Can I put in a backup camera to view on the Nav screen and if so where does it plug in? Can I add a DVD screen to the headliner for viewing from the rear seat and where does it plug in?
I don't see any inputs on the back of the unit. Should I expect loose fittings in the dash?

Aslo, anyone know what model disc it takes and where i can get one for a descent price? I know the preffered disc is 25880099 but they are tough to find.

Thanks for any help.
Vas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
amyers
amyers is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Backup Camera on New Nav

Of course there is always a way. However, are you sure you want to put these into a leased vehicle. Realize that you are not going to be able to pull them all out when you turn in (i.e. the DVD in the headliner)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amyers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amyers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Vas
Vas is on a distinguished road

amyers,

I don't mind. The company is paying for it. The backup camera is not so important but I would love the headliner DVD. I own a farm 3 hours away from my home and drive with 4 children under 6 (I've been busy).

While my wife and I mostly play games and converse with our kids, a 1 hour movie would be a good chage of pace now and then on the drive. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

There are two different Navigation units in the Outlook, depending on if there is rear DVD or not. The Navigation-only unit has a CD slot, the Nav/DVD unit has a CD/DVD slot. Unless you have the correct radio, it's not going to work.

In regards to hooking up a rear camera, that's only supported with the '08 navigation radio firmware. There was a lengthy post on here a while back where an individual working with the dealer couldn't get an '07 radio to recognize the rear camera due to the firmware issue. You'll need an adventurous technician with good electrical experience to hook this puppy up correctly...maybe.

There are two Saturn dealer accessory DVD's for the Outlook. One has dual headrest DVDs - watch different movies or the same. The other is a big (10"?) removable overhead DVD, that snaps in and out. And of course there are many aftermarket options to consider, from a roof-mounted installation to simple velcro around the headrest solutions (Target dual screen 7" Audiovox unit is on sale this coming week for $129 I think - of course you'll now have wires laying around and need to used wired headphones...but they cost less too).

If your objective is to get DVD in the rear, putting a factory unit in is probably going to be the most expensive (does your vehicle even have the advanced audio package, which "may" have some of the circuits required in the wire harness? - oh wait, it does as you started with a 6 disk changer). I'd talk to your local Saturn store about accessory DVD options, and even non-GM options they install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
monte70z20
monte70z20 is on a distinguished road

I went the aftermarket route and had an Alpine PKG-RSE2 DVD Rear Seat Entertainment Package installed. It came with 1 wireless headset and like you, I have 4 kids so I purchased 3 more sets. You can also listen through the radio. It was installed where the middle interior lights sit but the unit comes with LED's which make up for the removal of this middle set. If you go to the Alpine website you can see a demo for this unit and other accessories, go to:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PKG-RSE2
It makes long trips very peaceful for Mom and Dad and keeps the kids occupied for hours. I plan on removing mine when I get rid of the vehicle so I kept the middle interior light set and let the installers know of my intentions in hopes of minimizing the cutting, splicing and drilling. All in all well worth the purchase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monte70z20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monte70z20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
monte70z20 is offline   Reply With Quote