SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
ajnbf
ajnbf is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Roll Eyes Cleaning throttle body and IACV

Good evening! I have been searching the posts and am pretty confident I have found the solution to the issue my car ('97 SL2 1.9 DOHC) is having. Last week we had a cold spell in Florida and the idle was staying high. This morning enroute to work, after warming up a min, the car started idling real low when let off on gas and stalled at light. Everything is pointing to the IACV. My question is then how do you clean the IACV and throttle body of carbon as so many have suggested in other forums? I watched the video posted by richpio6a (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KD51U5eofqo) on removing the TPS but how do you clean the affor mentioned parts? If some one can explain or point me to a link, i would be grateful!

'97 SL2 - Paid $600, invested $250 (to date) in parts plus all my own labor and whatever gas wasted trying to fix it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajnbf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajnbf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajnbf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Cleaning throttle body and IACV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnbf View Post
Good evening! I have been searching the posts and am pretty confident I have found the solution to the issue my car ('97 SL2 1.9 DOHC) is having. Last week we had a cold spell in Florida and the idle was staying high. This morning enroute to work, after warming up a min, the car started idling real low when let off on gas and stalled at light. Everything is pointing to the IACV. My question is then how do you clean the IACV and throttle body of carbon as so many have suggested in other forums? I watched the video posted by richpio6a (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KD51U5eofqo) on removing the TPS but how do you clean the affor mentioned parts? If some one can explain or point me to a link, i would be grateful!
take the throttle body off the intake manifold. there is no How-to for taking it off, however its just a few nuts and bolts, removing of the throttle cable, and the wire connectors. all very easy. becareful with the gasket or you'll have to get a new one. once its off, use a tooth brush or what have you and some carb cleaner and have at it

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Motorhead62
Motorhead62 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Re: Cleaning throttle body and IACV

You can also clean it while still bolted in place. Start the engine and spray away. You will need to actuate the throttle to increase the speed to keep the engine from stalling.

I have been doing it this way for many years. I like using Berrymans B-12 cleaner, the best there is!

Good luck

Chris

AKA "Motorhead62"
2008 Aura XE EcoTech 2.4
2001 L200 EcoTech 2.2
1993 SL1 1.9L
1967 Chevelle "496" BBC
1967 El Camino "388" SBC
1967 C-10 "463" BBC

www.C-DPerformance.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Motorhead62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Motorhead62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Motorhead62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
kkspeed
kkspeed is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Since this is the first time that you are cleaning it, I would suggest taking it off. I was surprised at the amount buildup on mine after removing it.
You can't clean all the ports with it installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kkspeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kkspeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Once you have the TB off, Clean it liberally with Acetone or carb cleaner and a rag. Unbolt the IAC and clean the pintle off. To make it easier to clean inside the TB remove the two screws from the butterfly valve shaft inside the TB then the metal disk slides right out. I would also clean as much of the carbon deposits in the intake manifold as you can reach. Take the MAP sensor off and remove any carbon plugging the orifice. Also a good idea to remove the PCV valve and soak it for a few hours in Acetone or carb cleaner in an enclosed container to remove any carbon/oil deposits.

BTW, if the TB gasket is damaged you may want to replace it to avoid a vacuum leak. I believe the gasket costs around $5.

Happy cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Motorhead62
Motorhead62 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Re: Cleaning throttle body and IACV

FYI, regular oil changes will also prevent carbon build up!

Chris

AKA "Motorhead62"
2008 Aura XE EcoTech 2.4
2001 L200 EcoTech 2.2
1993 SL1 1.9L
1967 Chevelle "496" BBC
1967 El Camino "388" SBC
1967 C-10 "463" BBC

www.C-DPerformance.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Motorhead62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Motorhead62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Motorhead62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
SL2-Guy
SL2-Guy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I don't know if anyone has posted anything about cleaning the TB on a 2000 SL2 engine... But my TB is in a different spot than the 97-99 models... Does anybody know how to take it off?

Last edited by SL2-Guy; 01-09-2008 at 01:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2-Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2-Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
liljr89
liljr89 is on a distinguished road

i wish i would have read this firstmy mechanic charged me 85 dollars to clean but i lowered it to 50 but still DAMN

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liljr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liljr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liljr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead62 View Post
You can also clean it while still bolted in place. Start the engine and spray away. You will need to actuate the throttle to increase the speed to keep the engine from stalling.

I have been doing it this way for many years. I like using Berrymans B-12 cleaner, the best there is!

Good luck
Same way I do, I spray while having a friend goosing it so it doesn't stall...much easier than trying to spray it yourself while working the throttle cable.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
nsr20de
nsr20de is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Arrow Re: Cleaning throttle body and IACV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2-Guy View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted anything about cleaning the TB on a 2000 SL2 engine... But my TB is in a different spot than the 97-99 models... Does anybody know how to take it off?
I'm having this random high idle issue again.. seems like it happens during colder months and at any random time when the car is warmed up.. Shutting the car off solves the problem untill the car decides to idle high again.

I have cleaned the TB with the engine running with carb cleaner, but I would like to take it off and give it a good cleaning. But the how to i have found on this board is for pre 2000 S-Series.. My car is a 2002 SL2 and its a different TB..

I see alot of posts about this random high idle, but no one solution to it.. Mines an SL2 (2002) so the intake manifold gasket shouldnt be the problem correct??

Another question...

Is cleaning the TB by spraying carb cleaner while the engine is running bad for the plugs/oil or any of the sensors like the O2? I just replaced the plugs and pcv valve with saturn parts (plugs had alot of carbon build up, but looked ok otherwise.. )

Thanks
Matt

2002 Saturn S-Series Sl2
90,000 miles
5sp tranny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nsr20de's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nsr20de reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nsr20de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
adhsc2
adhsc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

get a manual for your car and it will show how to take off your problematic parts. and no, carb cleaner will not hurt your plugs enough to notice, and it wont do **** to your o2 sensor.

easiest way to get your TB off is to follow your air intake tube to where it connects to the engine, remove the intake, and start removing the bolts holding the TB on. its more difficult to screw it up than it is to remove it correctly.

1995 Saturn SC2
Screw engines...I R HAVS A POWER MODULE!
Member of: Saturn Tuners Club - Southeast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhsc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhsc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2

Cleaning throttle body...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ilHTkyWRpU

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
nsr20de
nsr20de is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post

LOL, love the song playing in the background of that video.. That TB is from a pre 2000, but it looks pretty str8 foward for getting it off of my 2002.

I went to autozone tonight before i saw this video, and the TB gasket in the video looks identical to the one they sold me for a 2002... I looked up the part number on autozone.com's website and according to them, its the same part (autozone part FP-61177) Is this true?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nsr20de's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nsr20de reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nsr20de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
jcasekim
jcasekim will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

A big thanks to the members of Saturnalia for the posts on cleaning the TB and the IAC. Two days ago I cleaned my TB, presumably the first time anyone cleaned it in 9 years and 142K miles. (I don't think any of dealers sprayed some cleaner in there during a major maintenance just to be nice.)

Took me 2 hours becuase I was learning as I went and trying to clean it really well while minimizing my exposure to the cleaning solvent. Used tips from this board, that YouTube video on cleaning the TB, Haynes manual, and some torx bits and deep sockets bought on eBay. Can of intake cleaner $3.75 at Carquest becuase Gumout carb and choke cleaner said not to use it on fuel injected engines. Guess I could have just used $2 carb cleaner from Target/WalMart.

TPS looked really clean so I just put it back on. IAC pintle tip was really dirty so I cleaned that thoroughly but didn't clean the pintle shaft. Is it safe to squirt C&C cleaner (or intake cleaner) into the IAC? Also pulled EGR valve off and cleaned the open port a little with paper towel, but didn't spray any cleaner inside.

Cleaned TB with paper towels and toothbrush, then sprayed cleaner and was amazed how easily remaining deposits washed off. TB and EGR valve gaskets both looked pretty good, fortunate because I didn't buy replacements. After starting to reinstall TB, realized I'd cleaned the IAC gasket and put it back dry, so pulled the TB again and put some clean motor oil on the gasket. IAC torx bolts looked like they had red threadlocker on them, so I put some blue LocTite on them.

Before cleaning had most idle at 800-1000 RPM w/intermittant high idle at 2K RPM and gas mileage ranging from 27 to 32 MPG. Immedately after cleaning car stalled a few times with idle dropping too low, then it steadied after a few minutes. IAC pintle in wrong position? Or PCM was re-learning? (I didn't disconnect the PCM fuse or neg batt cable.) Now car idles at 500-600 RPM, which is I guess where it should be. Can't tell if acceleration is smoother or not. We'll see if I get better MPG. Next time I will replace the TB and EGR valve gaskets.

Questions:
--No vacuum lines going into my EGR valve. Normal on a 98SL2?

--Port on manifold was really filthy. Wiped it out before remounting TB but saw more black gunk further inside. Do I need to clean that too, and if so what is the best way? Does squirting cleaner into the TB with engine running clean out the manifold also, or do I need something like Seafoam?

--What happens if my TB gasket is damaged--vacuum leak which leads to rough idle? Damaged EGR valve gasket --> NO2 smog problems and/or rough idle?

--Is it safe to squirt cleaner into EGR valve? Or do I need to disassemble the EGR valve to clean it? (I'll search on this forum for thread on cleaning EGR valve.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcasekim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcasekim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcasekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Your idle is low and should be in the 800RPM range. That sounds like the IACV isn't functioning since 500 RPM or so is the base idle.

The EGR is electronically controlled with no vacuum lines at least since 95.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasekim View Post
--No vacuum lines going into my EGR valve. Normal on a 98SL2?
Correct; it's fully electric.

Quote:
--Port on manifold was really filthy. Wiped it out before remounting TB but saw more black gunk further inside. Do I need to clean that too, and if so what is the best way? Does squirting cleaner into the TB with engine running clean out the manifold also, or do I need something like Seafoam?
Seafoam thru the PCV valve hose (sucked in via vacuum) will get some of that. There's a spray version of Seafoam called Deep Creep that some have used on the inside of the intake manifold via the TB opening. I just put some Seafoam in a pump sprayer, and it got quite a way in there.

Quote:
--What happens if my TB gasket is damaged--vacuum leak which leads to rough idle? Damaged EGR valve gasket --> NO2 smog problems and/or rough idle?
Vacuum leak usually means a high idle (to the engine, it's no different from the throttle being open). Not sure about the EGR gasket.

Quote:
--Is it safe to squirt cleaner into EGR valve? Or do I need to disassemble the EGR valve to clean it? (I'll search on this forum for thread on cleaning EGR valve.)
I think the better way is to put some carb cleaner, Seafoam or what have you in a shallow "puddle" in a plastic lid or the like, and set the bottom of the EGR valve into it to soak a spell. IIRC, spraying it into the valve while it's upside down, and letting it get into the top part of the valve, could mess it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #17
jcasekim

1998 SL2

Greg1, madpogue: Thanks both for your quick answers. Had I done a little more reading before posting, I would have realized there are two kinds of EGR valves and I have the newer, all electrical kind.

I think this weekend I'll take the EGR valve off agan and properly clean it and start the engineto blow the ports clear. Or maybe I'll mail order a new EGR Valve gasket first. And eventually I'll either squirt Seafoam into the PCV line or spray intake cleaner into the manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jcasekim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #18
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

EGR gasket should be available at a parts store. Oh, and if you're gonna do the "steam clean", I'd recommend installing a set of retired spark plugs for the duration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM   #19
jcasekim

1998 SL2

madpogue: Thanks. I have Bosch Platinum +2 plugs in the car with ~15K miles on them and Champion standard plugs on the shelf with ~7K miles on them. Planning to switch to copper NGKs once I hit 150K miles. I wonder which set I should use as my "retired" plugs? Probably both!

Greg1: You're right, my actual idle now is 800-900 after the car warms up, not 500-800 RPM. 800 RPM with car in drive, 900 RPM with car in neutral. Right after starting in 45F weather idles at 1500-2000 for a few minutes. I think before I cleaned the TB and IAC pintle it was averaging 1000-1200, occasionally sticking at 2000 RPM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #20
madpogue

1996 SW2

150,000? Spark plugs are good for about 30,000 on these cars. Platinums will go bad a lot sooner, with our "waste spark" system (search "platinum waste spark" sometime when you've got some time to kill). I'd say the Champions would be a good set for this procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!