SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
OceanVue
OceanVue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default V6 Vue smoking when cold

Hey everyone, I just moved to northern Virginia from Florida, and now that I am here this issue seems more prominent. I know all cars have some smoke/steam come out when they are first started and it is cold out, but doesn't it stop after the car is warmed up? My Vue smoked when it was cold in Florida as well, but it is more now that it is colder here. I see some cars on the road that don't smoke at all and some that smoke like my Vue does. I have no experience with cold weather and this is starting to worry me. Oil and water levels are fine. Is this just a Vue thing or is something wrong with my car?

2006 Saturn Vue 3.5 V6
"Oversteer is when the passenger is scared; understeer is when the driver is scared!!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OceanVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OceanVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OceanVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Re: V6 Vue smoking when cold

Technically it's not smoke but steam. It's due to the exhaust system being cold at start up and depending on the outside temperature, it may never go away.

Also, if the relative humidity of the ambient air is high you'll get consistent steam from the tailpipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

No, it's not steam, it's condensation, just like when you exhale from your mouth in cold weather, and perfectly normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Okay, condensed water vapour then...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Is there any chance a nicotine patch applied to the exhaust would help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Just answer this: does the 'smoke' rapidly dissipate? Does it have a blue tint to it? If the smoke is white and vanishes almost immediately, it is water vapor and most likely is normal. If it forms a blue cloud and drifts away, you have serious engine problems. White smoke can also be oil smoke from a different engine problem, but this is really thick smoke that doesn't dissipate. Black smoke is too much fuel in the combustion chambers and it may have some blue in it from washed-off oil.
There can be excessive water vapor for several reasons: a bad thermostat keeping the engine from warming up; incorrect fuel metering into the engine; an internal coolant leak. What you have to determine for yourself is whether or not the 'smoke' is about the same as other cars around you. Here in VA, particularly the DC area, you will encounter many cold humid days. Under some weather conditions the car will not stop making vapor no matter how long you drive it. I frequently notice vapor from my VUE in cold weather after a full warm-up and more than ten miles if I come to a stop condition where the engine idles. Sometimes in really cold weather you will notice most cars blowing vapor even out on the freeway at road speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Your catalytic converter converts the carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen oxides in the exhaust into water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen.

Depending on the temperature the water vapor in the exhaust is visible... This is why it's still visible after the car is warmed up. Your ULEV Honda engine is doing a great job.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Your catalytic converter converts the carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen oxides in the exhaust into water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen.

Depending on the temperature the water vapor in the exhaust is visible... This is why it's still visible after the car is warmed up. Your ULEV Honda engine is doing a great job.
Actually, cars made water vapor before the catalytic converter. The water vapor is one of the by-products of combustion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Actually, cars made water vapor before the catalytic converter. The water vapor is one of the by-products of combustion.
I saw the same thing last week at an ATM just 3 blocks from my house, the VUE wasn't fully warmed up, but the conditions really made for a lot of water vapor in the exhaust.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanVue View Post
Hey everyone, I just moved to northern Virginia from Florida, and now that I am here this issue seems more prominent. I know all cars have some smoke/steam come out when they are first started and it is cold out, but doesn't it stop after the car is warmed up? My Vue smoked when it was cold in Florida as well, but it is more now that it is colder here. I see some cars on the road that don't smoke at all and some that smoke like my Vue does. I have no experience with cold weather and this is starting to worry me. Oil and water levels are fine. Is this just a Vue thing or is something wrong with my car?
It's a warning that you've moved too far north!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

[QUOTE=OceanVue;1180008]Hey everyone, I just moved to northern Virginia from Florida, and now that I am here this issue seems more prominent.

It's a warning that you've moved too far north!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Actually I'm surprised that you're having cold-weather problems in Northern VA considering how close you are to all the hot air coming out of Washington. You also need to look out for the great waves of bull shet coming out of there. AWD will help some in that regard, but it really gets deep around election time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Actually I'm surprised that you're having cold-weather problems in Northern VA considering how close you are to all the hot air coming out of Washington. You also need to look out for the great waves of bull shet coming out of there. AWD will help some in that regard, but it really gets deep around election time.
XDDDDDDD u hit the nail on the head! Perhaps that's the reason behind the issue to begin with, the foul air coming out of DC.
......i didn't notice the same issue with the Binkymobile, then again she's straight edge like me, she don't smoke, drink or do dope.

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hey, oceanvue; how do you like Northern VA now? I bet that thing is smokin' big time today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!