SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Kats
Kats is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Question Changing license plate bulb--How?!?

Hi, I got stopped by the local cops last night because the bulb over my license plate was out. Today I took a look at it, and started going through my owner's manual to figure out how to replace it, and there is no info anywhere! I can replace the tail lights, but not the little light over the license plate!

Does anyone know how to do this? It looks like I have to unscrew a bracket that is mounted on the inside. Also, before I do this, are the replacement bulbs easy to find?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kats is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2
Default Re: Changing license plate bulb--How?!?

Remove the 2 screws holding the lamp to the trunk lid. Pull the lamp out. The bulb socket gets removed from the lamp housing with a 1/4 turn.
The bulb is a regular 194 bulb that can be found anywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Changing license plate bulb--How?!?

+1

Yep, CrewCab. My brother had to do this recently. The S-Series plate bulbs were much easier to change, but changing the rear license plate bulb in the ION is relatively easy. I think he used a philips' head screwdriver to get off the screws that hold the housing in place. A 168/194 bulb can be picked up at any auto parts store.

2004 Ion and 2006 Vue in the family.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: Changing license plate bulb--How?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewCab View Post
Remove the 2 screws holding the lamp to the trunk lid. Pull the lamp out. The bulb socket gets removed from the lamp housing with a 1/4 turn.
The bulb is a regular 194 bulb that can be found anywhere.
Correct ... but I have some tips to add from recent experience:

-Get two 194 bulbs ... they are under $1 and sometimes the ones in the bin are duds [you can pick them up at any parts store, I like NAPA myself]
-Don't let the socket fall into the trunklid ... it is extractable, but tricky ... better to have it outside the trunklid
-Don't overtighten the screws while reinstalling, they are fairly delicate and hold no load anyway.
-Not to patronize, but have a bagggie or equivalent to hold your screws/lid/screwdriver ... the trunklid has to be held with one hand while replacing the bulb ... unless you latch the trunk shut [I'm pretty tall, so working with the lid shut wasn't an option ... and it was a three-hand job even with big pockets to hold parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote