SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
miker
miker is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 1993 SW1 Owner Meets SL1 Owner

Last night as I'm walking into the credit union, I noticed an SL1 parked at the door...and it's running. You don't see that very often anymore. I go in and a guy comes out heading towards the SL1. I just had to turn around and chat with the guy. We're both sort of in a hurry, but it went like this...

Me - Sorry, but I have to ask. What year is your SL1?
Guy - 1993
Me - Mine too! How many miles? I'm at 235k
Guy - ummm, odo chk... 238K Picked it up with 100K on the clock.
Me - Cool! I'm original owner. Mileage? 38mpg in summer.
Guy - 44 mpg in summer. It's awesome.
We both agree that NOT having A/C has contributed to our longevity and mpg. Blah, blah, blah...hehehe.

...and this goes on for 10 minutes in a snow storm. We compared repairs done to each vehicle and they were the typical ones. Then when it's obvious we're done, guy brings up a recent repair he performed. Says, does your car idle high when cold, or when driving cold, do the revs not come down? OH YEAH, I said. He opens the hood and points to the hose in the middle of the back of the valve cover. Said he found a vacuum leak there due to a crack in the hose. Job requires the removal of only a few parts. He used 3/8" fuel line as a replacement. I'm gonna check it out soon.

Saturn owners are a funny lot. In the 90's we waved to each other while driving, and the cars were always spotless. Well, that was a long time ago and our SW1 could use a wash/polish, but the owners still seem friendly!

Have a good weekend all!

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to miker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help miker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: 1993 SW1 Owner Meets SL1 Owner

Sounds like the hose "assembly" for the PCV valve. Great place to develop a vacuum leak, leading to high idle, etc. I was taking one off a '93 SL2 and the rubber crumbled when I tried to pull it off the PCV valve. Fuel hose is the common replacement!

Old Saturns don't have to die and owners of old Saturns can still be friendly!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by virnin View Post
Old Saturns don't have to die and owners of old Saturns can still be friendly!
Let me correct that...old Saturns shouldn't have to die...jerkish people should substitute for that.

Oh, and it depends on who owns the Saturns...typically originally owners are more friendly, but occasionally some owners that aren't original owners are...and typically kids that just got the car don't really care nothing about it.

Although I wish I could meet a decent Saturn owner that was really into Saturns like me.... Perhaps the perfect date, LOL.

And just because a car has A/C doesn't mean it's not going to last as long, LOL. My friend's 1996 SL2 with A/C has almost 200k on it. If anything is going to be the death of that car it will be him since he's done some stupid stuff with it (not intentionally) and I feel sorry for it....I've been wanting to buy it from him for the longest time...pretty much since I took him to buy it, LOL.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac View Post
Although I wish I could meet a decent Saturn owner that was really into Saturns like me.... Perhaps the perfect date, LOL.
Ha! I've got four left and only one of em is drivable! Which one ya wanna work on first?

95 SL2m 2nd engine is on the stand, 1st is torn down waiting for performance (n/a) build (ha!)
95 SL2a This one is running, long term loan to friends
95 SL1a Broken rocker arm and who knows what else, horribly cracked windshield, crappy purple film on rear windows.
91 SL2a Missing rear window and trunk lid, runs OK. Have window and trunk lid but not the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

SaturnManiac, i'm really getting into my wagon more and more. I've always been a Honda gal and had a few over the years, but I think I just buried my last one. I think i like the wagon more than a sedan too. wierd?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virnin View Post
Ha! I've got four left and only one of em is drivable! Which one ya wanna work on first?

95 SL2m 2nd engine is on the stand, 1st is torn down waiting for performance (n/a) build (ha!)
95 SL2a This one is running, long term loan to friends
95 SL1a Broken rocker arm and who knows what else, horribly cracked windshield, crappy purple film on rear windows.
91 SL2a Missing rear window and trunk lid, runs OK. Have window and trunk lid but not the time.
What do you mean by that? And you do realize I'm probably miles away from you, since I'm in NC...I hate living here, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsista View Post
SaturnManiac, i'm really getting into my wagon more and more. I've always been a Honda gal and had a few over the years, but I think I just buried my last one. I think i like the wagon more than a sedan too. wierd?
Glad you converted from the dark side to the good side

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
miker
miker is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The A/C comment was just an offhand observation. It's like saying Brett Farve is the greatest quarterback, or what Saturn owners are friendly.

This forum is great for fixes.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to miker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help miker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
The A/C comment was just an offhand observation. It's like saying Brett Farve is the greatest quarterback, or what Saturn owners are friendly.

This forum is great for fixes.

Mike
I wonder where you'd live to never need A/C...I've been so many places and just about anytime when it gets much over room temp I want A/C, LOL. I hate being hot, but I also hate being cold...but I can deal with heat better...at least I think. Plus, I have allergies, so I've never been too big on opening windows...only occasionally...or cracked when smoking a cigarette, LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!