SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
2002SaturnMan
2002SaturnMan is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Please help. Daughters 1998 SL2 has "dim headlights"

My daughters 1998 SL2 has very dim low beams and hi beams (only on the drivers side). Even when I replaced both bulbs with new ones the same thing happens.

I swapped the nice bright ones from the passenger side to the drivers side and they are dim on the drivers side. When I put them back on the passenger side they are as bright as usual.

Is this an electrical problem?

Is it something I can fix?

2002 SL1, manual, SOHC (VIN 8) with 179,300 miles sold 8/29/14 (great car!).
Former - 1994 SL 212,000 miles (great car!)
Step daughter HAD 1998 SL1, Wife HAD 1999 DOHC (VIN 7) SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2002SaturnMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2002SaturnMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2002SaturnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Please help. Daughters 1998 SL2 has "dim headlights"

This is just a guess, but I think the alignment of the drivers side light is off. Or, perhaps, the alignment of the passenger side is off, making it look brighter than it should be. I don't know much about fixing cars, but I sure know quite a bit about light bulbs.

Question: Did you get down on your knees and stare straight into the lights to actually see that one was dimmer than the other?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

check your fuses? not sure about saturns but on one of my hondas if the fuse was blown the light would be very dim, like almost running on a dead battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

As mentioned the place to start is the fuses. The headlamp fuses are in the under hood fuse block.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
GS Jon
GS Jon is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I'd assume that if a fuse was blown you'd have no current and therefore no light.

Check your grounds first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GS Jon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GS Jon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GS Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002SaturnMan View Post
My daughters 1998 SL2 has very dim low beams and hi beams (only on the drivers side). Even when I replaced both bulbs with new ones the same thing happens.

I swapped the nice bright ones from the passenger side to the drivers side and they are dim on the drivers side. When I put them back on the passenger side they are as bright as usual.

Is this an electrical problem?

Is it something I can fix?
as suggested i would check the grounds first & then the plug connections. probably a bad connection somewhere there....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Jon View Post
I'd assume that if a fuse was blown you'd have no current and therefore no light.

Check your grounds first.
i've had blown headlight fuses and had light, just very very dim light (or what I could only describe as a "brown" light)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

^^^^ Yup, something to do with the fact that our headlights are switched on the negative side of the circuit. When the fuse blows, IIRC, the circuit completes via some other path, and at half voltage, sorta the way the DRLs work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
GS Jon
GS Jon is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^ Yup, something to do with the fact that our headlights are switched on the negative side of the circuit. When the fuse blows, IIRC, the circuit completes via some other path, and at half voltage, sorta the way the DRLs work.
Well hot dang, that's good info. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GS Jon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GS Jon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GS Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
2002SaturnMan

2002 SL1

Thank you very much. It turned out to be a missing fuse???? Not sure how that could have happened, but it did.

Replaced the fuse and the lights work fine! :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2002SaturnMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002SaturnMan View Post
Thank you very much. It turned out to be a missing fuse???? Not sure how that could have happened, but it did.

Replaced the fuse and the lights work fine! :-)
The fuse was missing all together? Has the car been in a shop recently? The reason I suggested looking at the alignment, is because that happened to my car. For the longest time, while driving the car, it looked like I only had one light working. I adjusted the aiming on my drivers side, then I had more light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

When I had problems with dim headlights on my 92 Saturn it was shortly after I had submerged the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
2002SaturnMan

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon1100 View Post
The fuse was missing all together? Has the car been in a shop recently? The reason I suggested looking at the alignment, is because that happened to my car. For the longest time, while driving the car, it looked like I only had one light working. I adjusted the aiming on my drivers side, then I had more light.
Yep. The fuse was totally missing.

I'm thinking that while at college one of her friends might have tried to look at it and didn't have a clue what they were doing, or just didn't push the fuse all the way back in.

Anyway, it's fixed now. Thank you very much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
as suggested i would check the grounds first & then the plug connections. probably a bad connection somewhere there....

I think this person is the only one that has it right here. This is not a fuse issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97coupe View Post
I think this person is the only one that has it right here. This is not a fuse issue.
Speed reading again...I've been guilty of this myself. The OP found that a fuse was missing and replaced it.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Capt. Dan
Capt. Dan is on a distinguished road

techsista was right on the fuse. My 2001 Saturn SC2 has a 10amp fuse for each headlight. Problem solved.

Thanks,
Capt. Dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Capt. Dan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Capt. Dan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Capt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote