SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
mightbuyasaturn
mightbuyasaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Windshield wiper problem

MY drivers side windshield wiper started looking like there was alot of play when it went back and forth. Looking at it, the part the arm is connected to seems to have alot of play in it with it turned off. I can move it several inches up or down. The passenger side is fine, but as they are connected together, it is effecting the way both of them travel.
Anyone experience this, or know what the part is that needs replaced? It is an '04 IOn2 sedan. I have a the used 2yr 24,000 mil extended warranty from Saturn of Lancaster.

Thanks!

Last edited by mightbuyasaturn; 12-24-2007 at 12:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mightbuyasaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mightbuyasaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mightbuyasaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: Windshield wiper problem

Wiper transmission/drive linkage is broken. It will need to be replaced.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
QCs_R4_Girls
QCs_R4_Girls is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 SL2

Or, at the very least, some of the nuts on the wiper arm might have come loose on that side. Check that first before you take it back to the dealership. Also, I've got nothing but good things to say about that dealership in Lancaster... in between cracking Amish jokes, of course

"Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph."

3 - 2006 Ion Quad Coupe 2.2L, Manual, Black
2 - 2002 SC2, Manual, Silver
1 - 1998 SL2, Manual, Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QCs_R4_Girls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QCs_R4_Girls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QCs_R4_Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

It's extraordinarily rare that the nuts on the wiper arms go loose, but it is quite frequent that the wiper transmission breaks. It's simple plastic brackets with an aluminum pipe connecting them, so if the wipers get overloaded (by heavy snow or ice) or if new wiper blades are put on with much gusto (pull too hard) the transmission will break, and a new one is necessary. It is possible to get just the transmission by itself without the motor, which is cheaper, but synchronizing the arms with the motor can eat up a lot of time.

If you're installing it yourself and have patience, by all means, go for it. If not, the end price ends up being the same when the dealer installs it. Cheap part, expensive labor; expensive part, cheap labor.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
mightbuyasaturn

Thanks for the replies. does anyone know if this will be covered by the extended warranty?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mightbuyasaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbuyasaturn View Post
know what the part is that needs replaced?
P/N is 15221904, wiper transmission.

Did this start happening within the last ten days? If so, too bad you didn't catch the last topic on this subject...tried to warn y'all...

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
kaviation
Advanced Member
kaviation is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX712517 View Post
It's extraordinarily rare that the nuts on the wiper arms go loose, but it is quite frequent that the wiper transmission breaks. It's simple plastic brackets with an aluminum pipe connecting them, so if the wipers get overloaded (by heavy snow or ice) or if new wiper blades are put on with much gusto (pull too hard) the transmission will break, and a new one is necessary. It is possible to get just the transmission by itself without the motor, which is cheaper, but synchronizing the arms with the motor can eat up a lot of time.

If you're installing it yourself and have patience, by all means, go for it. If not, the end price ends up being the same when the dealer installs it. Cheap part, expensive labor; expensive part, cheap labor.

Well, that's why you index the motor before you take it all apart. I did mine in about 45 minutes from start to finish. And you can make fine adjustments at the arms themselves. Make sure you have a batt. term. puller, makes getting the arms off a breeze, Actually, that's the only way I could manage to get them off anyway.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
mightbuyasaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDuke70 View Post
P/N is 15221904, wiper transmission.

Did this start happening within the last ten days? If so, too bad you didn't catch the last topic on this subject...tried to warn y'all...
Yes I did read that. I am careful not to use the wipers to move heavy snow and they were not froze to the windshield.

I have an 8 am appt @ Lancaster. They said if it is not covered under warranty they won't charge me if I choose to fix it myself. I asked him twice this question just to make sure they are not going to charge me to look at it.

Part is $84 according to the parts guy I just spoke to. I have a $50 deductable for warranty repairs, so if is covered I will let them replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Thanks for the info/update, how and when something fails is the first point of improvement. Cheers and good luck!

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
echievements
echievements is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L

Hi...massive amount of snow fell on the windshield while the wipers were in a down possession, but operating.

The left wiper is out-of-synchronization.

Does this mean replacing the motor?

Is there some way to fix the synchronizing of the blades, or is this involved and tedious?

I suppose in a worse case, the motor could be replaced from a "crashed Saturn".

Thanks for your help,

Ray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to echievements's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help echievements reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
echievements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if it is just off a notch or two, you just need to take that wiper arm off and rotate it a little, as long as the splines didn't get stripped out.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #12
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbuyasaturn View Post
Yes I did read that. I am careful not to use the wipers to move heavy snow and they were not froze to the windshield.

I have an 8 am appt @ Lancaster. They said if it is not covered under warranty they won't charge me if I choose to fix it myself. I asked him twice this question just to make sure they are not going to charge me to look at it.

Part is $84 according to the parts guy I just spoke to. I have a $50 deductable for warranty repairs, so if is covered I will let them replace it.
In NY. when i went they wanted hundred something. But im waiting to buy the motor and transmision as a set but its like 230. so that sucks. I live in kenmore ny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Jon2Mag
Jon2Mag is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Windshield wiper problem

My driver's side wiper arm broke and would just flop arouind like a fish out of water. I bought a new wiper arm and assembly but I was able to fix the old one using a drill press and metal brackets. If you have a similar problem I can give you the information that helped me. If you don't want to or can't repair the wiper problem I still have a brand new, in the box OEM saturn wiper motor with transmission arms.

Last edited by Jon2Mag; 03-30-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: grammar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jon2Mag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jon2Mag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jon2Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #14
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2Mag View Post
My driver's side wiper arm broke and would just flop arouind like a fish out of water. I bought a new wiper arm and assembly but I was able to fix the old one using a drill press and metal brackets. If you have a similar problem I can give you the information that helped me. If you don't want to or can't repair the wiper problem I still have a brand new, in the box OEM saturn wiper motor with transmission arms.
let me know how much .. and private message me with any payment methods. ok i can also give you my number and or i can get yours

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

There is a video by richpin showing a quick way to fix it. Basicly pull off the wiper arm and clean out the spline. If I see it right when you put the arm back down and tighten it it will grab again into the soft aluminum. Same thing that makes them slip easy is what makes it grab again when the groves are cleaned out. If you had a machine shop handy it would be nice to build steel inserts though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
saturn2003
saturn2003 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
Well, that's why you index the motor before you take it all apart. I did mine in about 45 minutes from start to finish. And you can make fine adjustments at the arms themselves. Make sure you have a batt. term. puller, makes getting the arms off a breeze, Actually, that's the only way I could manage to get them off anyway.
Where can i buy a battery terminal puller, any local places like autozone or places like that? thanks. I was gung ho to see if i could re-attach the plastic, couldn't even get the dang on wiper arm off! jeez.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
fuigb3
fuigb3 is on a distinguished road

Resurrecting this thread...

Ion 3 ('04) ended up with a broken wiper linkage during our recent winter storms. Parts Direct delivered the improved linkage (no plastic!) in record time for about $75. My problem is the indexing: original settings were lost in the breakage & disassembly.

Re: proper indexing... other than the trial & error method suggested by Been Smoked, is there a better way? I tinkered with this for a few frustrating hours last night and really got nowhere at all.

For what it is worth I recently scored two of the three shop manuals for the '07 Ion. The missing manual is the one that covers, among other things, the damn windshield wipers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fuigb3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fuigb3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fuigb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigb3 View Post
Resurrecting this thread...

Ion 3 ('04) ended up with a broken wiper linkage during our recent winter storms. Parts Direct delivered the improved linkage (no plastic!) in record time for about $75. My problem is the indexing: original settings were lost in the breakage & disassembly.

Re: proper indexing... other than the trial & error method suggested by Been Smoked, is there a better way? I tinkered with this for a few frustrating hours last night and really got nowhere at all.

For what it is worth I recently scored two of the three shop manuals for the '07 Ion. The missing manual is the one that covers, among other things, the damn windshield wipers.
To bad you jumped the gun. When I did mine I followed a youtube video (on an S-Series) that showed how to probably mark the windshield (with masking tape) where the Wiper Blades are/should be parked and how to take a marker to note orientations. Then matching the broken linkage layout to the new one.

You best bet might be to do a "dry run" with the unit outside the car, with none of the parts firmly fitted. So you don't need to pull everything apart to get at the motor again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
fuigb3
fuigb3 is on a distinguished road

Success! Got the beast pulled indoors here at work (told the boss that we had to leave for some kind of a meeting) and tinkered. Found an image on the auto-parts-direct-to-you site that showed proper alignment.

I'm having trouble linking to that image, so I'll describe it for the benefit of others: with the motor & linkage inverted (i.e. bracket-side up) the cam/tab on the linkage through which the motor's bolt threads is points in the opposite direction of the motor. Put differently, that tab is aligned parallel to the windshield and extends toward the driver's side. Apologies if that isn't clear, but if you assemble with the linkage tab & arms parallel to the windshield and tab pointed in the right direction you will be either dead on or off by 180 degrees.

Jumping the gun is right: I might have saved some clues for myself by just taking a picture of the wreckage before I tore down the broken part & motor. Seems like this is a lesson that I keep having to relearn.

One other tip: I was stopped almost before I began when the wiper arms would not come off. None of my pullers would quite fit around the cowling. My solution was to back off the arm's nut a turn or two, pull up on the arm, and then firmly tap on the nut. Because the nut was backed off I didn't risk damaging the threads on the stud (the thing was damaged beyond repair, but I didn't know it at the time) and after about 20 or 30 hits the arms popped off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fuigb3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fuigb3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fuigb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigb3 View Post

One other tip: I was stopped almost before I began when the wiper arms would not come off. None of my pullers would quite fit around the cowling. My solution was to back off the arm's nut a turn or two, pull up on the arm, and then firmly tap on the nut. Because the nut was backed off I didn't risk damaging the threads on the stud (the thing was damaged beyond repair, but I didn't know it at the time) and after about 20 or 30 hits the arms popped off.
Congratulations. Hope the boss isn't upset with you. I'd agree getting the correct puller for the job is important. Some had suggested a Battery Terminal puller which just wasn't up to the task for me. I finally caved and bought one on the shelf at Advanced Auto Parts. Did the trick... but really didn't seem to do anything until it decided to "pop" off. Doesn't seem likely that we'll ever have Wiper Arms come flying off our cars by mistake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote