SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1993 SL2
Default Low CTS resistance - oil in input speed sensor

I'm trouble shooting a transmission shifting-engine stalling problem in a '93 DOHC
The car runs fine on the highway, cold or warmed up. It seems to shift alright when cold, but when warmed up the engine dies when trying to start out from a stop or when going into reverse.

I first thought the problem might be internal in the transmission (leaking O-rings) but want to check out other possibilities before tearing into the insides.

After reading about the problems with the plastic CTS I removed the one that was installed, it was the brass kind but the resistance was only 0.6 ohms at 70 F, chiltons says it should be about 3 K ohms. I bought a replacement CTS from autozone (Saturn dealer is 40 miles away) the resistance is on the order of what Chiltons says it should be but the plastic nibs on the I.D. of the electrical connector are reversed. Where the one I removed has two females, the one from Autozone has two males. I plan on replacing the CTS but I'm just mentioning it in case anyone has an explanation or similar experience.

I also ran some sea foam transmission cleaner through the tranny and am now in the process of changing it and the spin on filter.

I noticed a lot of crude around the input speed sensor (near the transmission filter). I cleaned off the outside and when I removed the electrical connector a few drops of clean red transmission oil came out. The resistance checked out according to Chiltons, about 700 ohms. I don't see a crack in it, I assume the oil is leaking in at the interface between the round metal magnetic pick-up and the plastic housing. Is this normal or should the sensor be replaced?

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2
Default Re: Low CTS resistance - oil in input speed sensor

ALL the CTS have two male connectors inside the plastic connector,the wiring plug has two female term. inside the bell .....
one or the repair manuals has one prying the cap off to remove wires,this is not correct......you just squeeze the bell ,then pull connector off.
the resistance from fsm .0 degrees=24094 ohms,40degrees=7436,
80 degrees=2554,100 degrees=1609ohms,200degrees=226ohms ect.
replace the leaky turbine speed sensor (T S S )
Try your ohm meter in a higher range,for more accurate reading.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Bruce Rock

1999 SL1
1993 SL2

Thanks for your reply Dr. B.

The CTS from Autozone had the two metal prongs just like the CTS I pulled out but the plastic nips on the inside diameter of of the electrical connector formed a female opening perpendicular to a line through the two metal connectors while the one pulled out had male members in the same position. I assume theses plastic nips are to align the electrical connectors to prevent damage to the two metal prongs.

Since I have to go to Saturn to get the TSS I'll get the CTS from them as well.

Do you see what I see, Way up in the sky?

A POWER greater than ours, Way up in the sky
A POWER greater than Powers of the US Air Force, Way up in the sky,
A POWER displayed not with random chance but with rhyme and reason, and Signs and Wonders.
A POWER that echo's though all of HIS STORY?

RUST put a hole in the Iron Curtain , Francis Gary Powers was shot down,

Two days after 19 year old Mathias RUST landed near St. Basil's Cathedral, Mikhail Gorbachev replaced the defense minister Sergei Sokolov and anti-air defense commander Alexander Koldunov, a former World War II fighter ace (both of whom were opposed to glasnost and perestroika) with men who supported his policies. More than 2,000 officers (again, most of whom were opposed to Gorbachev's reform) lost their jobs. This move was critical in winning over the previously fiercely conservative and anti-reform military.

The day (May 28, 1987) Rust landed near Red Square, was the day celebrated as the Ascention into Heaven of the One who said "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and RUST do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal".

Since the last leg of Rust's flight started from the Finnish, I believe those of Acts 4:32-35 had more to do with it than the ex-actor Ronald Reagan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Bruce Rock

1999 SL1
1993 SL2

Problem now solved

I had removed the gauge temperature sensor (need better lighting in the garage). Although it only has one wire going to it, the sensor itself has two prongs, just like the ECTS. Difference being the nips used to locate the pigtails to the sensors.

The old ECTS had plastic in contact with the coolant. It was cracked. I replaced it and the TSS that had an internal oil leak to the electrical connection.

I ran Sea Foam through the transmission and changed the oil and filter.

Took it out for a test drive (twice). Problem is solved.

My thanks to those who took the time to trouble shoot this problem and report on it, and thanks to those who reported on the result they experienced changing the ECTS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

That darn ECTS again .... Merry Christmas!

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote