SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Zekeboy
Zekeboy is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default engine control computer or power control module?

I took my 98 SW2 to get it smogged and I was told the OBD II would not communicate with the smog test computer. My mechanic said it could be the engine computer, the power control module or the (connection busses?)

This car (San Diego) has 70,000 miles and appears to be in very good condition.

I screwed up (bad) and bought the car without a smog certificate. Brain fart I guess?

Help...... please I can't transfer the title with out the smog....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zekeboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zekeboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zekeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
siliconvalley
siliconvalley is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: engine control computer or power control module?

I think by the law, it is the seller's responsibility to pass the smog. If I were you, I won't pay the seller unless I see the smog certificate in hand. I guess now it is a little messy since you already paied it. Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to siliconvalley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help siliconvalley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
siliconvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

He's probably already paid. There's only one computer on a '98 though I've heard it called different things. On here it's usually called the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). There was a thread on here a few days ago where someone had a similar problem. I'm not certain whether it was resolved but, there were a lot of good suggestions in it to get you started. Check it out here.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Zekeboy

1998 SW2

Thanks for all the good info. Yep, I don't know what I was thinking! Guess I wasn't? But yes, I paid already. I am still in contact with the previous owner. He may do the right thing but I ain't counting on it. He's supposed to call today. I'm not holding my breath. Sad thing is that his wife passed away soon after he sold me the car so he's been a little overwhelmed.

Anyway, it's my fault so I'll have to suck it up and fix the car. Take him to small claims? Who knows? It's a matter of principle, he deliberately decieved me and he should be held accountable.

Any idea what it may cost me to fix this? I'm pretty good mechanically speaking. Is this something I can do myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zekeboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekeboy View Post
Any idea what it may cost me to fix this? I'm pretty good mechanically speaking. Is this something I can do myself.
It may not cost much at all. Follow the suggestions in that link I provided. It could be as simple as a fuse or a dirty ground. If you do take it somewhere after that, tell them what you did. Then they won't try to lay a line of crap on you. It's a rare failure but, you can even get a PCM and put it in yourself if it comes to that. It's not that hard to get to.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Like BarnOwl said, its most likely a bad ground or blown fuse. Does the cig. lighter work?? A bad PCM is extremely unlikely.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Zekeboy

1998 SW2

Yes, it works. I use it to charge my cell phone. The car runs great. Getting 25 mpg in town, is that about right? I'm gonna take it to the shop I've been using for a long time. I trust them and it may be easier than bothering the old man I bought it from.

I bought it as a tow vehicle for my motorhome. All the tow gear is probably worth $2000.00 so I figure I'm still ahead of the game.

And, aren't pollution related components (ECC) warrantied (sp?)to 80,000 miles by law? The one in my truck went out and Dodge replaced it for free.... Plus, how about the Saturn warranty? Ten yrs, 100,000 miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Make sure all the wires on the connector are good. I know I boot f#@&ed the crap outta the one on my '02 SC1. It still works, but I smashed the bracket. I had to tuck it up under the dash. Maybe yours has a bad wire in it though.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Zekeboy

1998 SW2
Default Update - engine control computer

I stopped by Auto Zone last night and gave the code reader a try. All it said was "PASSED" "No codes read"?

I don't know what that means but it seems to me that the OBD II is working? Am I wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Update - engine control computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekeboy View Post
I stopped by Auto Zone last night and gave the code reader a try. All it said was "PASSED" "No codes read"?

I don't know what that means but it seems to me that the OBD II is working? Am I wrong?
Sounds like everything is working to me. If there was a connection problem, the scanner would of said so. Seems like whoever did your emissions check didnt have the connector all the way plugged in, or was trying to make a buck off of you.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Zekeboy

1998 SW2
Default Update - ecc or pcm -smog issue

I took the car to my mechanic yesterday. Cost me $30.00 for the smog. I don't know what happened at the previous smog place? Maybe it was late on Friday and he wanted to go home?? Anyway, the car is fine, passed smog.

I guess I need to stop assuming the worst!!! Dang! Such a drama queen!

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone,

Zeke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!