SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
azelin
azelin is on a distinguished road

Default Read If You Would Like To Resolve Saturn Ion Cold Start Problems!!

My 2003 Saturn Ion won't start in cold weather. After reading a ton of posts on different websites it seems that the issue is because of a faulty ignition switch. I guess the lubricant on the switch hardens in the cold weather and the car won't start. When this happens it initiates the pass lock so then the system thinks the car is being stolen and won't let you start the car until it resets which can take 8-10 mins. One post I read said that they locked then unlocked the car with their keyless entry and that seemed to reset the pass lock. Although Saturn has a Service Bulletin out saying they know of the problem, they have not issued a recall. At any rate I called the Saturn Customer Service Line (1800-972-8876) to complain and they said the only way for Saturn to issue a recall is to have enough people call and report the problem. So for all of you out there that have this issue and haven't called please call the above number and report the problem. Maybe we can get the issue resolved. Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azelin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azelin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Read If You Would Like To Resolve Saturn Ion Cold Start Problems!!

They won't issue a recall. Its not a safety related issue and doesn't fall under recalls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Roll Eyes Re: Read If You Would Like To Resolve Saturn Ion Cold Start Problems!!

or you could just get it fixed (for free) under the TSB that's already out there for it....

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
azelin

hmmm....not really the impression Saturn Customer Service gave. If you're correct and it isn't considered a safety issue and Saturn is incorrect in what they told me (even though getting stranded in the middle of nowhere in the cold is a safety issue) that speaks once again of Saturn's great manufacturing and customer service skills..........can't wait to buy another!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help azelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
azelin

the saturn dealership by me says they won't fix for free........thx for the info though I'll keep trying!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post

or you could just get it fixed (for free) under the TSB that's already out there for it....

TSB's are not freebies, unless its a part under warranty. Recalls, however, are at the automaker's expense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
JH6
JH6 will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan

First of all, your 2003 saturn ion is not a new car. Its 5 years old.

You expect saturn to replace anything on it for free?

Its not a recall, its not a safety problem.

I ordered the ignition switch on rockauto for my ion for under 20 bucks, and replaced in my driveway in 20 minutes.

Its the most common topic on this website, the ignition switch.

I would replace it myself before I waited for saturn to replace parts on a 5 year old car for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azelin View Post
My 2003 Saturn Ion won't start in cold weather. After reading a ton of posts on different websites it seems that the issue is because of a faulty ignition switch. I guess the lubricant on the switch hardens in the cold weather and the car won't start. When this happens it initiates the pass lock so then the system thinks the car is being stolen and won't let you start the car until it resets which can take 8-10 mins. One post I read said that they locked then unlocked the car with their keyless entry and that seemed to reset the pass lock. Although Saturn has a Service Bulletin out saying they know of the problem, they have not issued a recall. At any rate I called the Saturn Customer Service Line (1800-972-8876) to complain and they said the only way for Saturn to issue a recall is to have enough people call and report the problem. So for all of you out there that have this issue and haven't called please call the above number and report the problem. Maybe we can get the issue resolved. Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JH6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JH6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Keep up the pressure, and hopefully it will gain traction. This stinks for the people it impacts, and I wish I could do more. Heck, my 04 QC is well out of warranty, I hope by the time mine does it I can get one free.

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
strangebrew
strangebrew will become famous soon enough

I got mine fixed for free back in 04 when it did it. But then again, I lived in Winterpeg and it would routinely hit -35 to -45 celcius at night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strangebrew's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strangebrew reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebrew View Post
I got mine fixed for free back in 04 when it did it. But then again, I lived in Winterpeg and it would routinely hit -35 to -45 celcius at night.
Yeah but was it still under warranty back in '04?

A lot of people confuse recalls and TSB's. TSB's can be issued for anything as small as an amended page to the owner's manual, to specific repair procedures, and also for common issues such as this one. I would think by using TSB's it would help them diagnose common issues much quicker.

Recalls, however, involve some kind of vehicle issue that can become a safety hazard. It doesn't matter if its even involving the car when its moving. Case in point have been the numerous issues Ford has had with faulty cruise control switches starting vehicles on fire after they are shut off. Recalls can be voluntary where the automaker acts on their own, or they can be mandated by the NHTSA. Either way though, a recall is at their expense, not the vehicle owner's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

If you are out of warranty and don't want to hassle with the dealer it might be worth looking up someone with HP tuners software. Apparently they can access the PASSLOCK/VATS settings. This thread is about the Redline PCM but they may support the standard Ion PCM as well.http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15422
As soon as my extended warranty is expired I'm disabling mine. GM should be able to offer this service but that would be admitting PASSLOCK is a failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
jcoates
jcoates is on a distinguished road

We have a 2003 Saturn Ion and have experienced this problem for years. The ignition switch was changed out three times under warranty. The last time the dealership removed the lubricant before installing the replacement and it helped. The car would usually start at anything above -30 C (Canada). This year the problem’s gotten worse. Minus 20 C and it won’t go. Yesterday it wouldn’t start and out of desperation I changed out the battery (had a spare from a 92 Saturn) and it started right away. Later in the day it wouldn’t start again. Azelin’s post mentions resetting the pass code by locking and unlocking the car with the keyless entry. The weather has warmed up here so I haven’t had a chance to try this. Changing the battery out though I expect reset that pass code. If the keyless entry trick doesn’t work disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it should. It’s a bit awkward, and blows out the radio settings, but worth trying if you’re stranded. The battery is in the trunk beside the spare tire and it takes a 5/16th wrench to disconnect and reconnect the terminal. When the weather gets cold again I’ll plan to repost if I find this works. As an aside I’ve also taken a hair dryer to the ignition area (where the key is inserted) for a few minutes and sometimes that seems to help. I don’t know if it’s the heat or the 8 – 10 minute wait for the pass code to reset that’s allowing the car to start though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcoates's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcoates reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
jcoates
jcoates is on a distinguished road

We have below -20 C weather again. Since my last post I found another webpage within this forum entitled “changing ION ignition switch”. So that’s what I did, I changed the switch. The car now is starting fine in cold weather so no opportunity to test the theories in my last post. Cost of the switch, $39in Canada.
Search the title “changing ION ignition switch” to find the webpage. This site doesn’t allow posting of url’s.

If you change out the switch, to do the passlock relearn procedure, follow Zborgerd’s directions (on the other webpage) exactly, paying particular attention to where he specifies the “Run” position and the “Acc” position for the ignition key during the procedure. Do not turn the key to the “Off” position until the last step, as directed, or the procedure will fail. If it does fail, that is the car won’t start, you can disconnect the electrical connection to the switch, reconnect it and begin again.

Additional tips:
- To remove the upper plastic steering column bezel, if you have tilt wheel, tilt the steering wheel to its lowest position, place your thumbs on either side of the bezel directly above the windshield wiper and signal light stalks and push upwards to unsnap it. Then ease it out towards the steering wheel. For the lower left bezel, after removing the two 7mm screws from beneath the column, it is plastic clipped in two places to the lower right bezel. A bit of gentle wiggling is required to release it. Swing the tilt wheel lever, if you have it, downward out of the way.
- With the bezels removed, from the driver’s seat, the ignition switch is located on the left hand side beneath of the steering column. It is attached by the two t15 torx screws to the left hand end of the silver colored ignition key cylinder. It is black, the same diameter as the cylinder, roughly ˝” thick and the electrical connection to it faces back towards the engine.
- After removing the two torx screws, the ignition key has to be in the “Run” position to release the switch from the cylinder. The same to insert the replacement switch into the cylinder.
- For overall safety, remember there is an airbag nearby, and to stop chiming and instrument panel activity consider disconnecting the negative battery terminal during the change out. Reconnect it again before beginning the passlock relearn procedure. You’ll have to reset your clock and radio settings if you do this. Also, if you have an automatic transmission I understand it’s normal for the first few shifts to be stiff after a battery reconnect, until the transaxle control module relearns a few things.

All other directions per Zborgerd’s and Bigdaddy94sc2’s entries on the other webpage. Again follow Zborgerd’s directions exactly to do the passlock relearn procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcoates's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcoates reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcoates is offline   Reply With Quote