SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
YELO_SC2
YELO_SC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Roll Eyes Temp Gauge Dead w/ SES Light

I was driving today with the AC on and the Service Engine Soon light came on and the temp. gague dropped from it's normal position @ about 3/8 all the way down to 0. The car runs fine and have had no issue with performance since the light came on this afternoon. What would you say is the issue? Coolant sensor, thermostat, instrument panel, blown fuse, or something else?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YELO_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YELO_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2002, 04:08 PM   #2
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Default temp guage

From what you described, my guess would be the CTS (coolant temperature sensor). This feeds the temp signal to your guage. Take the car to an autozone (if there's one nearby), they'll scan the SES code for free and tell you what the problem is. If the CTS is the problem it may make your car run poorly, and you may have problems starting it and running in cetain temperature conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
YELO_SC2

2001 SC2
Happy

92saturnsl2,

I was also figuring that it was the coolant temp. sensor since performance didnt' seem to be affected too much and the A/C still worked. It's going to be taken into the dealer either tomorrow or Tuesday to read the code and make any repairs (under warranty, of course). Thanks for your response!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YELO_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
YELO_SC2

2001 SC2
Dizzy

Ha! You guys won't believe this one...

The cause of my dead temperature gauge and SES light: RATS! That's right...rats! Somehow, they got up in my engine compartment, chewed all the way through the cable leading to the coolant temperature sensor, and chewed partly though two other wires. Of couse, since "nesting rats chewing through important electrical wires" is not covered under the warranty, we had to pay $185 for a new wiring harness and labor. Oh, well.

Kudos to Saturn of Beechmont for finding the cause of my problem and to alert me to the vermon problem that I have near my car. Only one problem...I don't know if it happened up here @ school or @ home this past weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2002, 11:28 PM   #5
zippy1227
zippy1227 is on a distinguished road

That is the oddest thing I've heard all day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zippy1227's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zippy1227 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2002, 02:04 AM   #6
Weasel_ugs
Weasel_ugs is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
1997 SL2

We see it all the time here,in fact we have a car thats has been in 3-4 times for same problem!The mice always go for the CTS wire or the A/C pressure switch wiring.We finially wrapped the wires in the black plastic conduit to keep them from feeding on the wiring on that car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weasel_ugs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weasel_ugs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Had my check engine light come on a few days ago. Took it to the mechancic and turns out that some mouse chewed through my TPS cable. Set up some traps and poison in my garage today and I am looking forward to turning the place in to one big mouse graveyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
ALLMOTORSL2
ALLMOTORSL2 is on a distinguished road

Depending on where you live it can be a common problem.
I've found that they like the green wires to the A/C pressure switch the most.They also like to fill Air Cleaner boxes with Dogfood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ALLMOTORSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ALLMOTORSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

You should invite them to bite into one of the ignition wires while the car's on. No more rats then!

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
YELO_SC2

2001 SC2

Holy cow...I never thought a thread dormant for 17 months would come back to life. ;-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread