SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
Default Rislone Ring Seal - product review

I didn't know where to put this thread, but it's pertaining to the use of this product in my '96 SL2 so I figured you guys might be interested.

I changed my oil about a month ago I guess... I added Rislone Ring Seal as an idea to help stop burning some oil. I drive a few different vehicles, so my new oil had only accumulated about 150 miles of driving.

In those 150 miles of driving, the car felt extremely sluggish and bogged down, the lifters/valves actually started making a lot more noise than usual, and smoke on startup had become VERY embarassing, whereas before the addition of this additive, I experienced moderate power/acceleration, some, but not much lifter/valve noise, and no smoke on startup.

I drained the oil after only these 150 miles of use and it was BLACK. New oil is amber in color, I used Pennzoil 10W-30, and the Rislone Ring Seal is clear when new... WTF cause my **new** oil to turn BLACK!?

I replaced the oil with Napa 10W-30 and started the car up, immediately I noticed very little lifter/valve noise, no smoke on startup, and I drove the car for about 30 miles with improved power.

So to all you Saturn owners with the ever so annoying, burning oil problem... whatever you do, don't add this stuff to your oil.... I think if I would've left it in my car, it would've been the demise of my little SL2.

Thanks,

John

PS: read what this product is supposed to do.... it did the exact opposite for my car.

http://www.barsproducts.com/4416.htm

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Rislone Ring Seal - product review

There's no reason that it would have worked anyway. The oil burning is a consequence of the oil control ring getting stuck in the groove or the control ring losing tension. The ring treatments only market to improve compression ring seal, not it does that either.

When I first started working in a gargage, I overheard my boss tell a customer: "Boy, you can't buy no mechanic in a can." His words were true back then and remain so more than 30 years later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

As Gerry posted, you dont want to "coat" the rings with anything.
They are already coated with gunk.

If anything you want to clean/unstick the rings to reduce/eliminate oil consumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
deadmeat3344
deadmeat3344 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

additives are bad mmk

Saturns are slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deadmeat3344's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deadmeat3344 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deadmeat3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

First, it's normal for oil to turn black in an engine with any miles on it. Second, you used Penzoil. Napa oil is Valvoline without the label. A thousand times better than Penzoil. I'd rather use any old generic oil than Penzoil.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fuzz View Post
First, it's normal for oil to turn black in an engine with any miles on it. Second, you used Penzoil. Napa oil is Valvoline without the label. A thousand times better than Penzoil. I'd rather use any old generic oil than Penzoil.
Is there some data that indicates Pennzoil is bad? What test shows Valvoline is a thousand times better? I have Pennzoil and Maxlife (Valvoline) in the garage. I bought them since they were on sale. My understanding is there is no bad SM oil, unless I see some evidence to the contrary.

Not all additives are bad. Yes, Duralube was bad. I was a sucker back then. But the things recommended at BITOG (Auto-RX, Lube Control, and Fuel Power) have helped my car run like a new one. I will use them till my Saturn dies...

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

Ive used mobil1 5000 for 2.79 a qt...
never had any problems ever.... Maybe the rislone was working its magic and gunk and other crap made the oil nasty like when i do my mmo soak....
do it again with vavoline or napa oil....

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

+1 for Auto-Rx, it's working well in my car.

I'm with Tiger, lots of people use Pennzoil with no issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Project84
Advanced Member

2009 AURA XR

People who slam any oil manufacturer are generally clueless and only pride themselves on sticking w/ 1 brand and 1 brand only because someone they think of as "influential" uses that same brand. Lemmings... that's what those people remind me of.... haha

Besides, I've used Pennzoil in the past with great performance, the focus of this thread was on the Rislone, not the Pennzoil.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #10
bobfather99

1994 SL1

Pennzoil is junk, eh??

Since its so bad, everybody send me theirs, Ill use it.

My dad has used nothing but Pennzoil for almost 30 years in a wide variety of cars/trucks with no oil related problems. I also use it if the price is right.

Most SM rated oils are similar in chemistry, there are slight differences in base oils, ad-packs and of course advertising.

If the oil in your hand/garage meets the API rating of your vehicle(SL,SM,etc)
just USE it and hit the road, no worries!!!!

Read up on motor oils...

www.bobistheoilguy.com
Search for Saturn

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
Project84
Advanced Member

2009 AURA XR

Okay, I need to clarify new findings.

Although this product didn't "seal" my rings, and more/less CLEANED THE HOLY CRAP OFF OF THEM IN LESS THAN 150 MILES OF DRIVING....

I've noticed in the past 300 miles of driving, after a fresh oil change... no missing oil. Maybe I misenterpreted "ring seal" and they mean it to be understood as "cleans your rings so they will seal again". It seems that's what happened.

I generally add 1/2 quart oil every gas fill up (300 miles, give or take), but haven't had to yet.

It seems this product may have done some good afterall. Wish I wouldn't have wasted all that fresh oil, and just added the stuff 100 miles before chaning the old oil instead.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 AM   #12
bobfather99

1994 SL1

Well Im glad its sorta-working.
Are the initial problems(noise/black oil/smoke) getting better over time??
How about gas mileage??

Normally I dont use additives, but if it works, cool!!!

Keep us posted on the results...
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
Project84
Advanced Member

2009 AURA XR

After the 300 miles I've put on the fresh oil change, I've noticed the oil is only slightly black, still mostly amber, there is no noise other than for 2-3 seconds at startup, and smoking is GONE.

So far, I'm very happy with the outcome, although like I said, initially, I was VERY worried and unsatisfied.

The gas mileage I get a week from now when I fill up next will be the true verdict.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

"Rislone Ring Seal contains high-shear polymers which provide a seal for worn pistons & rings to stop blow-by."

sounds like the old "STP Oil Treatment"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Toadfish
Toadfish is on a distinguished road

+2 on Auto-rx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toadfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toadfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
bobfather99

1994 SL1

Im glad Rislone Seal is working for you...

A neighbor of mine used Auto-Rx in a badly neglected 88 Chevy truck he got from his Dad. He couldnt believe how much gunk it cleaned out after 3000 miles. It was impressive!!

A-Rx works, not so sure about the other stuff out there though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
Toadfish
Toadfish is on a distinguished road

I'm not only running autorx in my 97 SWII but also in my wifes neglected 92 325I with 168K. For the last 2 weeks it would idle rough (ARX must have loosened up some gunk) and give me a CEL that an O2 sensor was bad. Since yesterday the ARX cleaned out what ever was causing the CEL and its running better than ever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toadfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toadfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Marion Valentin
Marion Valentin is on a distinguished road

I started using Rislone ring seal in a 1985 Surburban after clocking 100K miles..for all but 40K miles I had used the vehicle to tow a 28 ft bunkhouse over some of the roughest mountains in this country...towed in all lower states and in Canada. the Surburban was still going strong, with no engine repairs when it was totaled in an accident with 297K on it. I used it in a 2002 Lincoln Town Car.
It had 386K miles on it when I gave the Car to my son, he drove it a couple of years, the only engine work was changing valve cover gaskets...I now use it in a 1996 hi top Ford full sized conversion van....the only problem I have had is that I have to block part of the air flow to the radiator in the winter in order to generate enough heat to run the heater.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marion Valentin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marion Valentin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marion Valentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
radi
radi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Is there some data that indicates Pennzoil is bad?
Decades ago, we're talking pre-1970's- certain competitors started rumors that Pennzoil and to a lesser extent Quaker State caused waxy engine sludge. One theory was because they were paraffin based oils, not napthanic like the competitors, another was that they used subpar dewaxing processes.
There was never any real evidence of course, they are among the oldest and most respected products in the business- but it's one of those old wive's tales just seems to hang on in certain circles. Somebody knows somebody's uncle who had a brother that tore a Pennzoil engine down and it was a sticky mess, by golly. BITOG debunked that "bad oil" rumor a long time ago.
Pennzoil platinum in particular is an excellent product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #20
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Marion, may the Saturn God strike you down with furious anger for resurrecting a 4+ year old thread...

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote