SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
spriteman
spriteman is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Ignition Switch stuck in Lock position .... where have I seen this before?

well, we made it to week five and 2200 miles before our first glitch in the new '08 Vue XR. the ignition switch was starting to "grab" on occasion in the past 8 or 10 engine starts. it gradually got worse and then yesterday the wife was attempting to start the car at the grocery store, and it took her 5 minutes of jiggling and jostling the key before it would release from the 'Lock' position.

we attempted to use the other key this morning, and this time nothing was able to release the ignition lock feature. tried everything I could think of -- moving the wheel back-and-forth, tapping the key with the handle of a screw driver, trying to access the ignition switch from below by removing the plastic and possibly pushing a latch to release the lock feature (good luck with that BTW -- there is no little access panel under the steering column like some other Saturns have apparently).

fortunately the car was in the garage so I had time to think about what to try next -- so, naturally I headed straight for this forum . when I did a search, I was surprised to see so many saturn owners over the years with ignition switch problems. sadly, I guess I can confirm Saturn still hasn't got this issue resolved completely.

based on what I read, the next step was to try some kind of lubricant -- some people promoted graphite, others stated silicone or wd40 worked for them. I tried the silicone approach. sprayed the key, put it in the ignition, removed/inserted the key several times and let it sit for about 15 minutes. went out to the car -- still No-Joy. sprayed the key again, repeated the same process as before, and what do you know? -- the switch finally released from the Lock position and I was able to start the car. we took the car out later today and ran several errands -- no problems so far -- knock on wood. oh, and just to be safe I put a can of silicone spray in the car just in case it acts up in a less desirable location than in my garage .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spriteman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spriteman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spriteman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Ignition Switch stuck in Lock position .... where have I seen this before?

My ignition key often won't turn to start the engine unless I rock the steering wheel a bit, then it's fine. I think the adjustment for the safety interlock might be a tad off. Never had the problem as bad as you described though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Ignition Switch stuck in Lock position .... where have I seen this before?

I think I saw a service bulletin about this issue. Contact your local retailer for clarification.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote