SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #21
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Fujita dual filter cold air intake

I'd like to see a dyno on a Sky regardless....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 AM   #22
killingtangos
killingtangos is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

Before you wast your money you will have to figure out how to set it up so you have 70mph air blasting into your ports. Otherwise it will, like you stated, be hard to prove it is doing anything effective. It would be nice to have free time like I did so you could post what gains each add on gave. In my case I was disappointed most of the time. The only thing that really seemed to help were tunes, turbos, nitrous, and super chargers. Everything else did little compared to how much everything cost. A super charger on a NA vehicle is actually the cheaper rout to go after it is all said and done. (It just is expensive up front.) Not to mention the temp, air pressure, ect all have a factor. You can get two different results a week apart.

2008 Vue XE AWD: Stock
2006 Dodge Charger R/T: Pro-Charger Super Charger, 185 T-Stat, NOESP, BT OCC, & CB Cat back.
2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4: (May 09)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to killingtangos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help killingtangos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
killingtangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #23
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

I understand that on a small engine like the 2.4 Ecotec, "major" gains in hp and torque by adding a CAI and exhaust are illusory at best. I agree that forced induction, be it via turbo or supercharger, will give the best gains.

However, what's the breakeven point when it comes to which gives the best bang for the buck? There's a supercharger kit for the Sky 2.4 that will cost close to $4K for the kit and labor to install it, and will give roughly 40 more hp than stock. This works out to $100 per hp. How much more is the MSRP on a Redline than a stock Sky? Is it $4K more? Doesn't the Redline put out almost 100hp more than a stock Sky? And while we're talking about bang for the buck, I've heard there's a kit to put a V8 in a Sky. What's that kit cost, including the engine and everthing else needed for the swap, what's the hp and torque increase, and what's the $ per hp on that option?

If you can see my line of thinking here, and boil things down to $ per hp, that would be a good gauge as to which improvements are worth the investment. I figure I have about $320 into my modded Fujita CAI, so if I got about 4-5 hp out of it, I'm satisfied. Only way to know for sure is to try and get some dyno numbers. But again, without the benefits of "ram air", it probably won't give the true numbers.

But hey, at least when the hood is popped, there's something different people will see under there. And it's somewhat functional, just don't know how much...

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #24
killingtangos
killingtangos is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

Good Tune: 300 to 400 dollars + HP gain of 7 to 17.
APEX Exhaust system by it self: 1000 to 1500 dollars for a HP gain of 0
Good CAI: 100 to 270 dollars for a HP loss of -5 to positive 7.
Fart can muffler: 50 to 200 dollars for a gain of 0 (and minus class points from me)
All Synthetic fluids and so called performance plugs: 200 to 300 dollars for a HP gain of 0

This all adds up. Save your money and get a turbo or super charger kit.

2008 Vue XE AWD: Stock
2006 Dodge Charger R/T: Pro-Charger Super Charger, 185 T-Stat, NOESP, BT OCC, & CB Cat back.
2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4: (May 09)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to killingtangos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help killingtangos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
killingtangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #25
RPIpower
RPIpower is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
The stock factory Sky intake is a better cold air intake than the aftermarket pieces and makes more horsepower than the aftermarket stuff. There are other Sky forums that prove this on the dyno. The same thing has been echoed here about CAIs by those few of us who know snake oil when we see it.

If you like the way it looks, then buy it because of that alone without any regard to the performance issue. You can justify is on looks, but not on performance.
100% agree. We tested several hot air intakes and they do nothing for performance. Most of them show significant hp losses on the dyno.

Those intakes are NOT cold air intakes. Here is a picture of my intake which only sucks in cold air.

Eloy
Sky 2.4GT 421whp@28psi 91 octane

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RPIpower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RPIpower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RPIpower is offline   Reply With Quote