SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Kevin 2007 XR
Kevin 2007 XR is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default How to Install OEM Navigation into the Outlook - An Illustrated Guide

This week I installed the factory Navigation unit in place of the factory radio with the Advanced Audio Package.
We do not have the rear DVD system.
The whole process took about 1.5 hours to do. the hardest part is getting the courage to tear apart your new car. The second hardest part is fishing the GPS wire through the dash.
If you have good skills with tools and take your time, it is a pretty easy job to do.

Please ask me any questions about the install and I will try my best to help you.

Only a few hand tools are needed:

Last edited by Kevin 2007 XR; 11-24-2007 at 10:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin 2007 XR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin 2007 XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin 2007 XR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: How to Install OEM Navigation into the Outlook - An Illustrated Guide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin 2007 XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: How to Install OEM Navigation into the Outlook - An Illustrated Guide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Be sure and tape the blue connector AND a little down on the foam covered wire area so you don't rip the connector off when you wish the GPS wire through the dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
che10234
che10234 is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks! I'm picking up a used 2007 XR and I was hoping to find this information.

If I understand correctly, there are 2 wires to fish through the dash? The GPS antenna as well as the radio antenna ?

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to che10234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help che10234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
che10234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Nice job! How much did you save (not including your install time) vs the $2145 factory option?

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Nice writeup. I wonder if the Outlook navigation headunit will work in other models? I'd like to put one fron an Outlook in my Ion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Awesome & detailed pics! Brings back very bad memories of putting on the XM unit to my wife's old CRV-SE. Had to take the dash half apart just to add on the feature to the "XM ready" radio. A royal pain in the lower unit seconded only to the haste of putting on the factory driving lights...

Wonderful install - enjoy.

Was there a bypass to get it to play movies?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
dwdokc
dwdokc is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Excellent write up Kevin. I have been wondering how difficult it would be to start changing out speakers - with your photos I see it is not too tough. I may even undertake changing to the Nav unit now.

During the course of changing your head unit, did you happen to check out the subwoofer? Is it something you could see down through the dash opening? I would really like to change the sub out in my Outlook for something like a JL Audio sub.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dwdokc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dwdokc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dwdokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by che10234 View Post
Wow, thanks! I'm picking up a used 2007 XR and I was hoping to find this information.

If I understand correctly, there are 2 wires to fish through the dash? The GPS antenna as well as the radio antenna ?

Chris
No, only the GPS wire needs to be fished through. The same antennae wire is used on both units and just plugs in.

Once you get over the fear of tearing the car apart, it is pretty easy. Just take your time with the clips.

I bought mine through eBay seller "tauk". He is fantastic to work with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
Was there a bypass to get it to play movies?
No, it will play movies as long as you are parked. The GM Lockpick sold by an online retailer can bypass lockout as well as allow XM categories to be selected and set destination info on the Nav. I have not tried installing one of these though, so I don't know how well they work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
Nice job! How much did you save (not including your install time) vs the $2145 factory option?
I paid $810 for the Nav, DVD, and GPS antennae including shipping. $50 for the activation at the dealer. I work for free!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdokc View Post
During the course of changing your head unit, did you happen to check out the subwoofer? Is it something you could see down through the dash opening? I would really like to change the sub out in my Outlook for something like a JL Audio sub.
Sorry, I did not look at the subwoofer. If it is below the radio, you only probably need to remove the upper storage bin and maybe the radio bezel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
che10234

Hi Kevin,

Why do the A pillars need to be opened up? I don't understand what you are doing on the photo that says "Put a loop at the end of yout fish wire". Are you sending a wire FROM the center of the dash TO the side pillar in order to pull something back ? If so, what are you pulling back?

Thanks!
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help che10234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
che10234

Ahhh, forget it, i got it.

I thought the GPS sensor was sitting right above the center console, under the storage bin, but I see that's it actually off the the passenger side, beneath the cowl.

So the pillars come off so you can remove the cowl. And you fish a wire through to grab the blue end of the GPS sensor wire and pull it back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by che10234 View Post
Ahhh, forget it, i got it.

I thought the GPS sensor was sitting right above the center console, under the storage bin, but I see that's it actually off the the passenger side, beneath the cowl.

So the pillars come off so you can remove the cowl. And you fish a wire through to grab the blue end of the GPS sensor wire and pull it back.
You hit it exactly right. The A pillars hold down the cowl panel on the ends.

Good luck if you do it, it's not so bad, and to me worth saving about $1300.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Did you have XM radio prior to doing this? I am interested in adding the Nav unit but have XM and want to keep it.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #19
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Yes, I had the free trial to XM and the new radio came right back with active XM. I am not sure if the XM account is connected via the VIN or OnStar, but it works with no problems and no action from me. It will be interesting to see if it stays active after the 90 days are up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #20
bbfoto
bbfoto is on a distinguished road

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to document this process and I'm sure many others appreciate it as well! Excellent photos and instructions! Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbfoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbfoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote