SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
myshakti
myshakti is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default 2007 Outlook Transmission Problems!

I purchased my Outlook in April '07. I have nothing but problems with the transmission. I did have the software upgrade done but the problems still exist. Is anyone having the same issues? If so, what are you doing to get positive resolve? I am ready to give the Outlook back!

Peace

TR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myshakti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myshakti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myshakti is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: 2007 Outlook Transmission Problems!

What issues are you having? That would make it easier for someone to reply. I have had both re-flashes and have not had any problems.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

Last edited by QuinneyZoo1; 11-24-2007 at 10:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
myshakti

2007 Outlook XR

Good point. The vehicle upshifts too soon. When you say, "re-flash" what does that mean?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help myshakti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

by upshifts too soon, have you tried giving it more throttle? I'm not trying to be facetious but the trans is shooting for MPGs, not performance at part throttle.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
myshakti

2007 Outlook XR

I have tried everything. Another person mentioned that there have been two re-flashes for this problem. If I am understanding the term 're-flash' it is the software upgrade. My dealer tells me there is only one update.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshakti View Post
I have tried everything. Another person mentioned that there have been two re-flashes for this problem. If I am understanding the term 're-flash' it is the software upgrade. My dealer tells me there is only one update.
There may be only one visit to the dealer, but it's really two re-flashes - one for the transmission computer(TCM), and one for the DIC(I think it's called the ECM, or electronics control module). The whole process takes about an hour.

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Ltech20
Ltech20 is on a distinguished road

The above post is correct there is one software upgrade and it involves reprograming the TCM and separatly (but at the same time) the ECM. If it is a weird shifting problem, it probably is not a problem but that the outlook has some unique gearing since it is geared first and foremost for fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ltech20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ltech20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ltech20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
myshakti

2007 Outlook XR

It is a problem with upshifting ~ switching gears. I now understand that what I am experiencing in different driving situations is normal due meaning shifting from first to second and sometimes third a rapid pace in order to gain the MPG but the upshifting also bounces into fourth, etc. without any reason and thus causing some scary sitations on hills near my home.

I so appreciate everyone's assistance with my question.

Peace,

TR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
gizmo1125
gizmo1125 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2004 VUE 3.5L

I just bought a 2008 xe awd and it does the same thing I hate it. It shifts all the time back and fourth its going back to the dealer thursday they told me over the phone that there is no up date for my car but bring it in and they will check it out. They also said a lot of people have complained about that. I could tell you one thing I did'nt buy 33,000 truck to have it drive like this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gizmo1125's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gizmo1125 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gizmo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

I thought they'd fixed this before the 2008s started rolling. People have been telling me they're very happy with the results of the latest reflash.

FWIW, because reflashes are so simple and I want to encourage manufacturers to provide them, they're not included when TrueDelta calculates repair rates.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Yama1yzf
Yama1yzf is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2008 AURA XE

I don't know that besides a whole new transmission this problem will ever be fixed......it is a glaring fault on an otherwise near perfect vehicle. I have had the reflash etc but the reality is that the trans just upshifts too much and will not hold the proper gear, then acceleration requires an abrupt downshift. The way I have found to deal with the issue is to leave the trans in "L" and 4th gear. This suits most around town driving perfectly and never goes in to the upper gears unless I want it to through the manual shift. If I am on a stretch of road that requires 5th or 6th I use it. Very simple but it is a night and day difference over driving it in normal "D" mode. Gas mileage is probably suffering but I didn't buy this car for the mileage anyway. And I use the regular mode when on the highway where the constant shifting is not a factor. I love the thing otherwise so I have found a comprimise that works for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yama1yzf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yama1yzf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yama1yzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama1yzf View Post
I don't know that besides a whole new transmission this problem will ever be fixed......it is a glaring fault on an otherwise near perfect vehicle.......
I had the reflash done back in November and noticed a huge difference. I tried to tell the dealership before that there was a problem but they said it was normal. A week later I brought in the reflash notice and they were a little stunned about the corrections that could be made. In any case I don't have the problems you described anymore. I would suggest taking yours back to the dealership and have them check to make sure they didn't miss something.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Z06jerry
Z06jerry is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: 2007 & 2008 Outlook Transmission Problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshakti View Post
It is a problem with upshifting ~ switching gears. I now understand that what I am experiencing in different driving situations is normal due meaning shifting from first to second and sometimes third a rapid pace in order to gain the MPG but the upshifting also bounces into fourth, etc. without any reason and thus causing some scary sitations on hills near my home.

I so appreciate everyone's assistance with my question.

Peace,

TR
I have a 2008 XR AWD. This transmission programming is a nightmare! It is always in the wrong gear. I find that I have to shift it manually and as another poster has mentioned and keep it in 4th gear around town. Mine shifts into third so early that it is dangerous to drive smoothly among traffic. Another problem is that it won't hold 6th at highway speeds if there is a slight uphill or headwind I have to keep it in 5th or else it downshifts constantly and then immediately back up again. It doesn't just downshift to 5th, but more like a 4.5 gear or something. So on the highway it goes like this.... cruising along @ 1900 rpm, here comes a slight uphill that you can barely see, downshift to 3100 rpm (vehicle lunges ahead) followed by immediate upshift to 2500 rpm and then another upshift back to 1900rpm. ... a few minutes later and it does it all again. The only way to avoid this is to drive in 5th, unless you have a tailwind or are driving downhill. HEY GM, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! When people tell me they are considering an Outlook/Acadia/Enclave. I tell them to forget it! go buy something else!!
I hope GM does something about this real soon. I am generally impressed with the Outlook but this transmission shifting is a bad joke!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Z06jerry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Z06jerry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Z06jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

I've had two tranny flashes on my '07 and it runs great. The second was a different program than the first. I think driving style must factor into how it feels to each Outlook owner. I have no complaints.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #15
dinocoblue
dinocoblue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I agree.... No complaints withe the reflash on mine. Try having it done again. I've heard of people taking it in again and it worked. Not sure it didnt take the first time or what.

My other car is a jet...

http://www.cessna.com/citation/citation-x.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dinocoblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dinocoblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dinocoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #16
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

I've had the flash and it runs great. I do agree that personal driving habits factor into how you feel about the transmission generally quite a bit, so it could be that I am simply ok with how this car drives. I think some are expecting more power and responsiveness than this car is meant to deliver, but that is not to say that your car may not just have some specific issues that need to be addressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

After the reflash on my Outlook, the transmission became more composed. It shifted more smoothly, it engaged quicker and the Outlook seemed to have "more" power. Probably due to the better engagement. It takes less pedal pressure to get the Outlook moving along and the hills no longer cause numerous shiftings.
I am very pleased with the results of the reflash.

2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
Yama1yzf
Yama1yzf is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2008 AURA XE

I have to assume it didn't take but how that is possible I am not sure. It just doesn't shift right period. My '08 CTS has quite possibly the best auto tranny I have sampled and I have had and still have a lot of cars. What I don't get is I had a '05 STS with the same engine as the Outlook but it had a 5sp auto which was wonderful. I understand the marketing need for a 6spd so I guess that's progress. It's due for a service anyway so I'll have them re-flash again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yama1yzf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yama1yzf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yama1yzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
Z06jerry
Z06jerry is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default No reflash available for '08's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocoblue View Post
I agree.... No complaints withe the reflash on mine. Try having it done again. I've heard of people taking it in again and it worked. Not sure it didnt take the first time or what.
My Dealer advises me that there is no update available for the '08 model. Has anyone here had their 'O8 re-programmed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Z06jerry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Z06jerry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Z06jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

The latest update was released before the 08's were even built, so no need to look for an update if you have an 08.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote