SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
dpm5049
dpm5049 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Gutted Interior/Leak Question?

Some of you may remember my post a couple weeks ago about my driver's side carpet being soaked with water, well, im on thanksgiving break this week and while i had my car at home, me and my dad completely gutted the interior to attempt to find the leak. It was really soaked inside and we even found that the back drivers side was also all wet. We noticed some spots on the headliner that were wet so we took it off and hopefully found the problem, the front drivers side sunroof drain tube wasn't connected to the sunroof. Water was leaking down the door frame and then in by the kick panel. We cleaned out all the other drain hoses and reconnected them and that stopped that leak. However, there seems to be another small leak that is coming in at the bottom of the drivers side door. I've attached a pic (but i cant remember which one of the holes it was coming in through i think the one in yellow). Any help would be appreciated.

Also you can check out my other gutted interior photos on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak photo.jpg (220.1 KB, 56 views)

1999 SL2: 5 speed(SZP Short Throw) 153,000 miles 36 MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dpm5049's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dpm5049 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dpm5049 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Gutted Interior/Leak Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm5049 View Post
However, there seems to be another small leak that is coming in at the bottom of the drivers side door. I've attached a pic (but i cant remember which one of the holes it was coming in through i think the one in yellow). Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure the drain valve is plugged into the top of the rocker panel.And the drain at the bottom of the rocker panel is clear.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

The water that was coming in through the disconnected hose was probably running inside the frame and out those holes.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
dmc
dmc is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Now might be a good time to put some sound deadener on your floor You could easily drive around with seats and no carpet while it's shipped.

Here's a link to a review: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If you don't want to wait for shipment, go to Lowe's or Home Depot. In the roofing department, there's a product called Peel 'N Seal. It'll do about the same job for sound deadening.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

your interior looks like mine too. i'm currently chasing down what i hope is the last of my leaks ('91 SL2).

the sound deadener on the inside of the firewall (floor) is still getting wet during storms. before i sealed up the roof to windshield seam i'd get much more water. so now i'm thinking it's a seal somewhere else around the windshield. i think this windshield was replaced once, and the job was definitely shoddy.

but all my sunroof drains are clear and connected.

2nd gen sedans w/ black interior were a bit rare. looks nice.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
dpm5049
dpm5049 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Thanks, i like it. It rained really hard this morning and no water was in the car so hopefully it was just the sunroof drain tube being off that caused the problem. I had the plastic trim piece that goes on just above the door off when the water was running down the door frame and then coming in at the bottom, now that they're back on everything seems fine, i just need to eventually recover the headliner since it has some water stains. From what i've read on here its pretty easy.

1999 SL2: 5 speed(SZP Short Throw) 153,000 miles 36 MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dpm5049's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dpm5049 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dpm5049 is offline   Reply With Quote