SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
lexington01
lexington01 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Code P0446 (evap solenoid) and now I can't fill the gas tank

Hello everyone.
My Saturn has been in storage for the past few months. I just pulled it out and now I'm getting the following code:
P0446 EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System
When I went to fill the gas tank, the pump kept shutting off as if the tank was full, but I know it was near empty.

I found some info on the web, but nothing about how to fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lexington01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lexington01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lexington01 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Code P0446 (evap solenoid) and now I can't fill the gas tank

That code should not stop you from being able to fill the tank. You did try another gas pump in case the one you were using was no good? It is possible that the venting system in the tank is plugged up and as you fill the tank he air pressure in it is stopping you from filling the tank.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
lexington01

1999 SC2

It's done it on two pumps at two different stations. Any suggestions on how to un-plug the venting system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lexington01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Most fuel tanks have a filler neck check valve.When that valve gets stuck in closed or partly close position.It makes it vary difficult to pump gas into the vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
NH Truck Guy
NH Truck Guy is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SL1

Its the Gas Tank Vent Solenoid. If you have no venting of the tank the nozzle will think its full and not allow the gas pump to work.

Had the same issue with my truck (same code too).

Take it apart and see if its dirty or just replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NH Truck Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NH Truck Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NH Truck Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

The canister vent solenoid on a 98-99 saturn is located on the fuel filler pipe behind the left rear wheel.It has two wires.White, ground to computer.Pink, to the IGN 1 fuse which is hot in run or start only.How this system would affect a car in refueling when the vehicle is not in the running or key on state i do not know.I am presuming the canister vent solenoid is in the closed position when the key is off .If i am missing the boat on this one someone please enlighten me.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

With the problem there on multiple pumps then it is certainly something on the car. Any critters in your area that like lunching on wires or hoses? Large number of spiders where the car was stored. I have seen somewhere problems with spiders nesting or webbing in small spaces on cars and causing problems.

I did more checking and have found that the code could cause fill problems but I have not seen it before. I have also seen a couple of fuel tanks that have internal venting that can cause fill problems as well.

Below is the diag for fuel fill problems. Also the location for the EVAP vent solenoid.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
lexington01

1999 SC2

Thanks for the info. I tried to get at the thing yesterday, but I couldn't get the wheel off (aftermarket wheels, the key didn't fit my wrench).
I'll try again this weekend. Maybe if I pull it off and clean it, it'll fix the problem for now (just guessing).
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #9
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

I'm confused here.
Does the fuel vent solenoid prevent gas from entering the fuel tank through the filler hose? Or does it prevent fuel vapor from entering the fuel vent hose?

My gas can doesn't have a vent hose, and I'm still able to fill it at the gas station, so why would the fuel vent solenoid have anything to do with filling gas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

FYI: I HATE the evap system on the 99' and UP cars...

With that in mind...

The carbon canister is located on TOP of the fuel tank on the 99' ant UP cars. As the tank is filled, the fuel vapor being displaced by the liquid gas entering the tank is supposed to VENT THROUGH the carbon canistor to prevent as many of the vapors as possible from venting right into the atmosphere. The filtered (by the canister) air works its way back to the small hose connected to the filler neck. (Sort of a closed system) If the solenoid on the canister bleed is stuck, or the canister itself or hoses are clogged up, the fuel vapors cannot escape as the tank is filled and the pressure build up causes the pump to shut off.

Although not recommended...try fueling the car with the engine running....or with the key in the RUN position. Sometimes that can alter the settings of teh Evap solenoid etc...enough to let things flow. ASAP add copious amounts of fuel system cleaner to the GAS TANK. Old stored gas forms VARNISHES that tend to plug / gum things up.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
lexington01

1999 SC2

Thanks for the advice Wolfman! I'll try that before I start monkeying around with a system I don't understand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
cmays03
cmays03 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my 99 sl2. i took the tank out today and found that the evap canister is full of gas. I'm thinking that is the problem with filling it up. I took the air compressor and lightly pressurized the canister to get the gas out. going to put it back together and try to pump gas into it tomorrow. also the solenoid in the wheel well was gone on mine I did put one back on it and that didnt help but that was before i took the tank out. wish me luck and maybe you can try the samething maybe your is full too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmays03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmays03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmays03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmays03 View Post
I have the same problem with my 99 sl2. i took the tank out today and found that the evap canister is full of gas. I'm thinking that is the problem with filling it up. I took the air compressor and lightly pressurized the canister to get the gas out. going to put it back together and try to pump gas into it tomorrow. also the solenoid in the wheel well was gone on mine I did put one back on it and that didnt help but that was before i took the tank out. wish me luck and maybe you can try the samething maybe your is full too.
There is a tank full check valve that is tied into the vent line that connects to the canister. The tank is vented from a line from the pump that tees into the in tank vent float valve then the line connects to the canister.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
cmays03

yeah i seen that. I didnt find anything else blocked just the gas in the canister and i'm thinking thats why it wouldnt vent when filling it. I have it all back together so i'll try to put gas in it tomorrow and see what happens. if this didnt fix it I dont know what to do. maybe get a new tank with everything on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cmays03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 98-02 tank/canister are all the same and out here it is a $50.00 part at the J/Y There is no way to get at the internal fuel vent valve either. So it either works or does not. there is a roll over valve in the pump unit vent that also closes if the tank is over filled or the car parked on an incline with a full tank. Either on can fail and cause the canister to flood. Blowing low pressure air through it will dry it out enough that the tank will vent properly again. To properly dry it out you need a source of warm air and no flame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
cmays03

ok thanks for the info and help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!