SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Motor Trend December 2007

Just read a copy of the December 2007 Motor Trend where they evaluate different SUVs for Sport Utility of the Year. The 2008 VUE did not fare so well.

Here's some snipets from the article:
Quote:
Our test VUE came with the optional 3.6-liter DOHC 24 valve V-6 rated at 257 horsepower mated to a six-speed automatic. Good thing too, because every last horse bucked loudly getting the VUE's porky 4109 pound mass up to speed........ while more than a few judges thought the base four-banger would be an unwise choice considering the VUEs poundage
Quote:
On our test loop, the VUE's steering felt heavier than Jared before Subway, and attempting to whip more than two tons of fun into and out of the curves, while wrestling with the oversize wheel wasn't an experience judges recall with fondness. Carlike isn't a word that springs to mind.
Quote:
So while the new VUE didn't distinguish itself on the tarmac, it's still more attractive, offers a plethora of options and models, and also boasts world class safety features. It's a package that should help get more customers into Saturn dealerships, but it's not one that's going to make our winner's circle.
The Mazda CX-9 won their 2008 Sport Utility of the year award, in case anyone was wondering. If you don't have a subscription, pick on up at your local store- even if it's just to read it while standing in the aisle.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
mrgto
mrgto will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Motor Trend December 2007

Too bad they didn't drive the redline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrgto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

And how would that have altered their opinion? Same motor, same driveline.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
mrgto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
And how would that have altered their opinion? Same motor, same driveline.
Different suspension. Plus what they wrote doesn't agree with me since I own and drive one every day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mrgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

They never commented on the suspension.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
mrgto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
They never commented on the suspension.
Exactly. And it doesn't take full throttle to get the vehicle up to speed....and when it is floored, the car gets up and goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
envoy
envoy is on a distinguished road

Here is the article:

Saturn's new Vue is one of the first in-the-sheetmetal manifestations of the brand's newly synchronous orbit with GM's European Opel arm, and, for the most part, color us impressed. In an ever more crowded field where being noticed is half the battle, the Vue's exterior appearance made the judges think crossover cool. The praise continued for the cabin's new digs. The Vue's interior packaging is worlds better than the outgoing model's and is arguably the best Saturn effort to date-especially considering its relatively inexpensive base price.

Save odd touches like the steering wheel that feels as big as a wagon wheel and a quirky cargo-net setup, judges now think the Vue is more than capable of holding its own in its five-passenger market niche-at least before you turn the key.

Our test Vue came with the optional 3.6-liter, DOHC 24-valve V-6 rated at 257 horsepower, mated to a six-speed automatic. Good thing, too, because every last horse bucked loudly getting the Vue's porky 4109-pound mass up to speed. An impressive number of engine options are available (including GM's new two-mode full hybrid in 2008), while more than a few judges thought the base four-banger would be an unwise choice, considering the Vue's poundage. The six-speed tranny put the power down adequately to the AWD vehicle's wheels, although in manual mode (the toggle-shifter is located on the gearshift knob-yep, you read that right) one judge noted some unusual behavior.

On our test loop, the Vue's steering felt heavier than Jared before Subway, and attempting to whip more than two tons of fun into and out of the curves, while wrestling with the oversize wheel wasn't an experience judges recall with fondness. Carlike isn't a word that springs to mind.

So while the new Vue didn't distinguish itself on the tarmac, it's still more attractive, offers a plethora of options and models, and also boasts world-class safety features. It's a package that should help get more customers into Saturn dealerships, but it's not one that's going to make our winner's circle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to envoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help envoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
envoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Motor Trend blew this one way out of proportion. IMO the steering and handling were very good. I suspect politics had something to do with their decision. Remember while everyone else lauded the Aura, Motor Trend did not. The Camry, a car with no soul, was their car of the year...

I would not put much weight on their comments, or for that reason I would be suspect of their winner...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I subscribed to Motor Trend for about 15 years and finally cancelled a few years ago as I was tired of the continual GM bashing that kept appearing in their articles - it got to the point that I really didn't believe anything they said about any car, GM or not. I've never driven an '08 or a Red Line for that matter so I can't say much about the article's validity but I found that their drivers never appreciated the same things that I appreciate in a car.

They do love the Camry though, always did....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Yeah MotorTrend sucks sometimes, thats why I don't order their magizanes. I like Car & Driver better. The Saturn Vue has done excellent, Our Newspaper (The News & Observer) in the NC rated the Vue an excellent vehicle and recommend alot of honda & toyota buyers to buy one. But everyone says SATURN is better now since they dropped the dent-resistant doors, idk why they think that Saturn isn't good, Saturn has been good all around. Even Edmunds gave the vue a pretty good review. All the new SATURN vehicles have getting excellent feed back from new customers (From Foreign Cars) and automotive editors. It seems like the new SATURN has really jumped up in sales and repetation, since they dropped all the dent-resistance vehicles (Which is pretty bad) why not buy a vehicle that is safer with the plastic then one that isn't. But i'm not going to lie Saturn is doing better without the plastic and the safety rating is even better without the plastic, so Saturn is doing something right. I mean all their cars are recommanded and the new vue is a top-pick in the safety crash test. I glad saturn can finally step-up to other car companies, and take some of their customers, and become american.

GO SATURN!!!!!!!!

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

Last edited by darnell89; 11-15-2007 at 09:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
warren38
warren38 is on a distinguished road

"I glad saturn can finally step-up to other car companies, and take some of their customers, and become american."

While Saturn is an American car company the Vue is made in Mexico. My son just bought the new PS3 from Sony, a Japanese company who is now having PS3's manufactured in China - go figure. I think the Global economy is upon us As long as the quality is there I really don't care where something is made. I own a 2008 XR FWD Vue and the build quality is there so I'm happy although I would prefer to support US workers first and foremost. God Bless the USA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to warren38's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help warren38 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
warren38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Either way, I find it very funny how as Saturn has become less and less Saturn over the years and more just another GM name plate, people's impression of the "company" (it's really more of a "division" now) has improved.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:57 PM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell89 View Post
Yeah MotorTrend sucks sometimes, thats why I don't order their magizanes. I like Car & Driver better. The Saturn Vue has done excellent, Our Newspaper (The News & Observer) in the NC rated the Vue an excellent vehicle and recommend alot of honda & toyota buyers to buy one. But everyone says SATURN is better now since they dropped the dent-resistant doors, idk why they think that Saturn isn't good, Saturn has been good all around. Even Edmunds gave the vue a pretty good review. All the new SATURN vehicles have getting excellent feed back from new customers (From Foreign Cars) and automotive editors. It seems like the new SATURN has really jumped up in sales and repetation, since they dropped all the dent-resistance vehicles (Which is pretty bad) why not buy a vehicle that is safer with the plastic then one that isn't. But i'm not going to lie Saturn is doing better without the plastic and the safety rating is even better without the plastic, so Saturn is doing something right. I mean all their cars are recommanded and the new vue is a top-pick in the safety crash test. I glad saturn can finally step-up to other car companies, and take some of their customers, and become american.

GO SATURN!!!!!!!!
Having owned Saturns since 1992, and drive all types of metal-skinned cars every week, the hype about the Polymer bodies being inferior is a bunch of BS. I've never felt safer in any other car. Saturns have always had a safe and secure feeling chassis. A typical situation in life is anytime something is different people tend to talk bad about it, even if the technology is superior in many ways. People that talk bad about Saturns are typically those who never owned one.

Saturns have always been extremely safe cars from day one. Taking this excellent chassis and adding steel skins to the doors most likely did little to improve its safety. The real improvements is in the chassis design, crumple zones, and the design / placement of the air bags, seats and interior pieces.

The new Saturns are better because they are using new chassis, noise reduction, and design techniques. Have you ever rolled down a window in an Aura when next to a noisy truck and rolled it back up? The amount of sound insulation is astonishing! A close inspection of the side glass shows a special laminated construction that just kills sound transfer. The Aura also has special laminated insulation panels that absorb the road noise like a sponge.

IMO Saturn could have kept the polymer panels and greatly improved their cars using the better glass and insulation. Unfortunately you have people that believe a car body needs to be steel and a polymer body can't be competitive. With GM wanting to consolidate manufacturing techniques to reduce cost, the polymer body construction had to go. Look at the BS that several car magazines are giving the current VUE and Aura. Saturn gave them a class act vehicle, a steel body, but they still can not accept it.

Sorry... Rant mode OFF...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
dulino
Advanced Member
dulino is on a distinguished road

Motor Trend is full of crap. I saw that article. What are they comparing the VUE to ? It is a heavy car but it handles very well. I just got an '08 VUE XR and I love it. It handles much better than my '04 VUE did, and it is most definitely a much nicer car than my father's '06 Rav4. In fact, I would say it handles just as well as our much smaller Toy Matrix.

Heavy ? Maybe. But when it goes it goes!

This is my third Saturn and between financial incentives I get each time for being loyal and the amazing service I get at our dealership Saturn was my first choice. I am glad they upgraded the VUE and made it more upscale because otherwise I would've looked for something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

I think the 4100 lb weight has to hurt the Vue's performance in small ways. Saturn needs to whittle that down the next model year.

Btw, Consumer Reports liked the new Vue but it only came in middle of the pack due to low mpg and longer braking distances than most (not including the Ford Escape - it's braking distances were scary long,.. almost dangerous).

Here's part of Consumer Reports review.

Road Test

Tested model: 2008 XR 4-door SUV AWD, 3.6-liter V6, 6-speed automatic
Tested tires: Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 II, size P235/60R17 100S

The redesigned Saturn Vue is a big improvement over the model it replaces, with more agile handling; a quiet, pleasant ride; and standard stability control. Inside the cabin, higher quality interior materials are used, and levels of fit and finish are much improved, but the front seats are uncomfortable and lack adequate support. The 3.6-liter V6 engine in our tested XR model is smooth and refined, and provides strong acceleration. But the Vue's fuel economy is among the worst in this competitive segment. Long stopping distances also cost the Vue points.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

The Vue's ride is supple and provides isolation from bumps on the road. The ride is steady, controlled, and composed on the highway. Interior noise levels are subdued, with only minor road noise and a smooth hum from the engine. Handling is much improved over the outgoing model, with restrained body lean and good steering feel and response. On our test track, our Vue felt responsive and secure. However, fair grip limited its speed in our avoidance maneuver. Standard stability control helped keep it on course.

Powered by a 3.6-liter, 257-hp V6 engine matched with a six-speed automatic transmission, our Saturn delivered smooth and powerful performance. But its 17-mpg overall fuel mileage was no better than some larger SUVs. The Vue easily towed our 3,500-pound trailer to 60 mph in 15.9 seconds. The 3.5-liter engine in XE trim provides decent power, but is not as smooth when revved. AWD is available on V6 models. The brakes produced straight and secure stops, but they were a bit long. The headlights had very good illumination and distance, but a sharp cutoff.

INSIDE THE CABIN

Some interior touches, such as quality switchgear, a thick leather steering wheel, solid stalks, and the padded, nicely grained dashboard and door panels, lend a luxurious feel. Minor misaligned panels and some mold lines take away from the high-quality look.

There is plenty of head and foot room and generous seat travel, even for taller drivers. The steering wheel has continuous tilt adjustment but does not telescope, and some drivers felt it was too far away. Some complained that the wide center console and door-mounted armrest took up some knee room. The short driver's seat cushion is too squishy and the hard backrest provides too much lower back support. Optional leather seats provide somewhat improved support. The rear head restraints and large pillars create blind spots. It's easy to access both the front a rear seats. Rear-seat leg room is sufficient. The seatback reclines but is hard and flat.

Most controls are easy to use and well lighted at night. The chrome gauge rings cause some reflections. Oddly, the rear wiper control is mounted on the dash rather than on a stalk. There is no trip computer, and seat heater controls are mounted low on the console. There is moderate cabin storage in the Vue with many nicely finished bins and an underseat drawer. Rear seatbacks are split 60/40 and fold easily to increase cargo ro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Isn't MT the rag that invents & sells awards for use by marketing people in the auto industry?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote