SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
rgierer
rgierer is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default a return to Saturn with questions

This is my 2rd Saturn. My first was a 96 SL. I drove it 240,000 troble free miles when it was totalled in a mishap at a stoplight. I then picked up a 1998 Saturn SL with 185,000 miles from my son. I drove it about 30,000 trouble free miles when it went to one of my daughters.

Now I picked up a 1998 Saturn SL2. This one will need some work. It is my first with an automatic transmission and it is clearly not charging the battery now.

My inclination is to replace the alternator. When I got home I put a voltmeter on the battery and shows 12.5 volts, then I started the car and it was showing 12.04. I would happily explore other reasons for this if so directed.

When driving it home with a new battery (only 5 miles) it would rev a bit as I came to a stop. If my memory serves me correctly this is tied to an air hose or EGR valve. Please help I have not owned a Sat for over 5 years.

AT fuid change. Is this an owner level task or just something you take to a shop?

I apreciate the R/R alternator info I found on this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgierer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgierer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgierer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: a return to Saturn with questions

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...F+fluid+change

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Welcome back to Saturn and the Saturn forum.

Get that alternator changed, the AT is very dependent on voltage to operate. With a bad alternator the AT can act real funny.

If you have ever changed the engine oil on a Saturn doing an AT fluid change is actually easier. Spend a little extra and get a Saturn AT filter.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura aboutTom Walsh has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Not to bombard you with info, but make sure you have a good ECTS. Simple to do with the "How to " directory. It could be a cause of your erratic running symtoms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote