SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
My 1st Ute
My 1st Ute is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Gas Cap letter from Saturn Corporate

Did anyone else get a letter recently regarding an extended warranty and reimbursement for leaky gas caps on the Vue?

I left the letter at home but IIRC it specifically mentioned the 03 and 04 Vues... I no longer own a 04 Vue, but I guess corporate doesn't know that.

In either case, they will warranty the gas cap for 10 yrs or 120,000 miles and reimburse you if you already had the gas cap repaired/replaced at your own expense!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to My 1st Ute's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help My 1st Ute reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
My 1st Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Gas Cap letter from Saturn Corporate

I got the letter. It said it was for 04-05 VUEs. I don't remember it saying exactly what the warranty would be, just to take it to the retailer if you have problems. It also had a form to fill out if you've already paid for a repair.

To those who haven't seen the letter, it basically says that the gas cap or filler pipe could leak and not to turn the cap too tight or push down on it.

2002 L200
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Got mine yesterday. It also basically says: "If it ain't broke, you don't need us to fix it."

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I got ours today. We haven't had this problem with our 05 VUE and did in fact replace the gas cap with a locking model long ago for security reasons. I do recall however having similar symptoms on our old 02 VUE. It is quite a shock to see the guage on a freshly filled gas tank register on empty until one realizes that the gas cap simply is not sealing properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Turducken
Turducken is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Yup, got mine. Then I threw it in the trash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Turducken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Turducken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Turducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

My old gas cap never leaked, but the knob got kind of wallowed out and it sometimes wouldn't screw in all the way. i wanted a locking gas cap anyway so i got one when i got my oil and trans fluid changed recently.

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I bought mine used, wonder how they'll contact me (if mine falls under the recall)? Anyone here bought theirs used and got the letter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
To those who haven't seen the letter, it basically says that the gas cap or filler pipe could leak and not to turn the cap too tight or push down on it.
My mom hasen't gotten it yet, but she has had an SES light several times that was nothing more than a leaky gas cap. She never had a problem closing the gas caps on her minivans.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

I slept better last night after learning I have a 10yr/120,000 mi warranty on my gas cap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
My mom hasen't gotten it yet, but she has had an SES light several times that was nothing more than a leaky gas cap. She never had a problem closing the gas caps on her minivans.
A SaturnFan member sent me an Stant InStant Fill™ Cap...never have to take off the gas cap again (spring loaded valve). Seems to work like a charm, no SES light so far.

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=3755

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Oh the irony. My SES light came on today, we checked it at work(yes, Best Buy install bays have code readers, and no, we don't use them to clear codes we might set off... often) Says its a "Slight Evaporative Emission System Leak", which I translate to "Slight Gas Cap Issue". Turns out I got the letter at my parents house a week or so ago. Hopefully I can get it taken care of on Tuesday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
jimpennjr
jimpennjr will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L

We bought ours used and received the letter. Our gas cap hasn't shown the problem yet.

jimpennjr
'96 SL1 5-speed--Traded in for an '09 HHR
2008 Vue XR V6 Trade in the '04 Vue for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimpennjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimpennjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimpennjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Cook911411
Cook911411 is on a distinguished road

Does the Cheap strap that keeps you from losing the Cap fall under the warranty..... ? ....Because mine broke a while back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cook911411's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cook911411 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cook911411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
I bought mine used, wonder how they'll contact me (if mine falls under the recall)? Anyone here bought theirs used and got the letter?
You either have to call Saturn and give them your info or take it to a retailer (or call the retailer) and tell them to update the system. If you take it in for service they may automatically update the new owner information.

If you buy a used car, it's wise to have your info updated so you can get recall and service information.

2002 L200
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #15
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

I had to have my gas cap replaced on my old 04 Vue in order to pass a Virginia emissions inspection. I don't own that Vue any more. Wonder if I can get reimbursed the $30 it cost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
You either have to call Saturn and give them your info or take it to a retailer (or call the retailer) and tell them to update the system. If you take it in for service they may automatically update the new owner information.

If you buy a used car, it's wise to have your info updated so you can get recall and service information.

Thanks...that's a good idea

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

The seal on mine is not looking too hot. Gotta wonder if they should backfill this to us early adopters.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

My mom got the letter last week. She'll be getting her new gas cap soon.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #19
Capt Bruce
Capt Bruce is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Curious to see this thread and glad you brought this to my attention. Have not received the gas cap letter so I'll follow up the next time I'm at my Dealer.

Binky and Ohio Vue Boy, good to see you are still in the Forum!

Happy New Year All,

Capt Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Capt Bruce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Capt Bruce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Capt Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
sparkys72
sparkys72 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Up Re: Gas Cap letter from Saturn Corporate

Last July the gas cap on our '04 Vue failed to screw in properly and wouldn't seal. I bought a new one at a Saturn dealer and installed it myself. A couple of months later we received the Corporate letter saying they would pay for the new only if it was installed by a Dealer. I responded by saying that I did have to buy a new cap but it was easily installed by a DIYer. I went on to say that a reimbursement of around $26.00 for the new cap is relatively cheap in order to keep a happy customer. A couple weeks later we received a check for the $26.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparkys72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparkys72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparkys72 is offline   Reply With Quote