SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default First letter from GM

Well, they finally got to the Canuck Outlook drivers! Today, GM's letter about the re-flash of the transmission and engine software got here. Up 'til now, the service guys at Saturn have told me that "No re-flashes are available". As of today, I CAN contact the service dept. and arrange a time to get the work done. It is voluntary and "not necessary unless you desire to take advantage of the update". "Your fuel economy may vary from what you previously experienced". I am very leery of doing the re-flash in case the mileage changes for the worse. The shifting has gotten used to my driving(or I have gotten used to it!). " The vehicle may take a couple of weeks to re-learn your driving habits". I have a feeling my Outlook is in a slow-learner class, and may never recover! Any thoughts?

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: First letter from GM

No one has reported any decrease in mileage, but what most have commented on is how much better the latest program seems to perform. So, it's only a garden variety few who haven't had it done "just because".

The current pattern may have accustomed to you a bit, but after the reflash which is a better "base" in the beginning, that adaptation should just make it that much more pleasant after.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

In my experience, I wouldn't worry about it. Our gas mileage seems to be about the same, and the improvement in driving experience is well worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I had the update done. It was well worth it. My mileage has actually gone up since I had it done and the ride is much better.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
HJ92126
HJ92126 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

I agree with the above. I had mine done on Oct 8th and since have had no problems or regrets. Gas mileage went up a little. At first the transmission seemed a little "over agressive" not in a bad way but compared to the "mushy" feel it had before. It seems to have since calmed down ( I would assume it has "learned" again). Now if I can just get the smell of smoke and all the ash out of it.......but thats another story

2007 Outlook XE
2006 Grand Prix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HJ92126's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HJ92126 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HJ92126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
4myoutlook
4myoutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I had the same feelings but had it done. WOW! It made alot of difference all for the good. I am currently on a trip getting 24 mpg at 70 mph. Cruise control works great. Also the auto down shift going down hill after the brake is applied to maintain speed now works, it did not before.

My current trip is both mountian and highway driving, Denver to Taos / Santa Fe, NM and back home.

The up date for me todate is great. I recommend it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4myoutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4myoutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4myoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
dperez
dperez is on a distinguished road

Be careful. I got my ECM reprogrammed in september for the gas mileage, shifting, and fuel gauge issue. It threw my odometer off. It started tallying over 3 miles for every mile driven until I brought it back in. I don't think this is common though. I'll be keeping an eye on my odometer more carefully from now on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dperez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dperez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Thanks for the input! I just phoned the dealership and I have an appointment for Tuesday morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

I'm getting my tranny update this morning. Thanks for the heads up about the odometer.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dperez View Post
Be careful. I got my ECM reprogrammed in september for the gas mileage, shifting, and fuel gauge issue. It threw my odometer off. ... I don't think this is common though.
Coincidental with our Reprogramming last week (and an oil change), the tire pressure monitor for the rear wheels went blank. Fortunately I noticed it before I drove home, and they did the pressure monitor re-learn procedure and it fixed it. The dealership had no idea why it happened or if it was related to the work they did.

2007 Outlook XR FWD
Ocean Mist / Grey Int
Enhanced Convenience Pkg / HID

Over 5,000 miles already! Awesome ride. Love it!

Gorgeous! Gutsy! Glorious!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrightOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrightOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by logbite View Post
Thanks for the input! I just phoned the dealership and I have an appointment for Tuesday morning. I'll let you know how it goes.
All done! They did the ECM and TCM software and calibration update today. It took about an hour(they charge $107 per hour - glad it was on GM!). The Outlook shifts smoother and downshifts with no hesitation. I didn't even know it hesitated until I felt the difference! The DIC seems to change faster now(average mileage, etc). No highway driving, yet. Seems to be the thing to do - hope the mileage doesn't get worse - it was great before.

premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
wilecoyote_1998
wilecoyote_1998 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 2008 XR Outlook - how do I know if I need this update? By the way - what is the diference between the ECM and TCM update?

Thanks,

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wilecoyote_1998's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wilecoyote_1998 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wilecoyote_1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilecoyote_1998 View Post
I just bought a 2008 XR Outlook - how do I know if I need this update? By the way - what is the diference between the ECM and TCM update?

Thanks,

Bill
I got a letter from GM - you can contact the dealer if you want, but I think the newer Outlooks have already had the update. The way the rep. explained it to me - "TCM is for the transmission and ECM is for the electronics". Sounds good to me!

premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!