SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Jerz3455
Jerz3455 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1
Default 98 Saturn SC1 SOHC, HIGH IDLE

Alright, this car has been kicking my butt all week. I have just recently aquired this car from someone, and ended up havin to change the motor. I put another one in, but when I start it up, it idles at 4500 rpm. At first she would idle at about 3000 rpm, and then I replaced the throttle body with the old one, and then it began idling at 5000. (just before redlining) So then I went ahead and replaced it back with the new one (that which came with the new motor from the junk yard), and it idles at 4000 now.. I dont know what esle to check. I removed the egr valve, sprayed some cleaner in it, and still havent helped much. And now, im starting to feel like cleaning the egr didnt help because I got a code 4 it now. But, im pulling three different codes. P0507:Engine RPM is higher than expected for the current operating conditions; P0122:Throttle positioning Sensor Circuit Low Input, and of course P0405: EGR Flow Sensor A Circuit Low Input. Im stuck. Please give me a solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jerz3455's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jerz3455 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jerz3455 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: 98 Saturn SC1 SOHC, HIGH IDLE

Really screamin' idle usually means a bigeffin' vacuum leak. Power brake booster hose, PCV valve hose, intake manifold gasket, something like that.

'Course, that 122 points to the TPS. Try tapping it with the handle of a screwdriver. If that settles the idle down, either the wire connection to the TPS is hinky, or the sensor itself is done for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Jerz3455

1998 SC1

Alright... Because I want to say that I hear a little hissing sound when I shut it off.. Like when its shutting down, it sounded like it was an untightened hose, but I didnt want to make it worse than it already was.. Now out of the too sensors (on the throttle body), which one is the throttle positioning sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jerz3455 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

The TPS is the only sensor on the throttle body. It's on the end of the throttle plate shaft, on the back of the TB. The other connector on the TB is the IAC solenoid, which is toward the bottom of the TB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Jerz3455

1998 SC1

Well. U said towards the back of the the throtte body?? Because there are actually two sensors on it. Right before it bolts onto the intake manifold, there are two different sensors. I dont know which one is which. I even started the car without them connected, and it still idles very high.. BUT... As soon as I connect them, it instantaneously drops the idle speed for a split millisecond, and then continues to idle high..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
madpogue

1996 SW2

To repeat: there are two connectors. The "higher" one, right behind the throttle plate itself, is the TPS (throttle position sensor). The "lower" one is the IAC (idle air contro) solenoid.

Two connectors, one for a sensor, one for a solenoid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

+1 on the vacuum leak. Check your hoses for cracks and get some carb or brake cleaner and spray around the manifold gasket while the engine's running. If you hear a change in the idle, you've found the leak.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

How about the EGR valve? When I took mine off to clean it, I ran the car for about 5 seconds, and it really screamed, right up to the rev limit.

My car idles at about 2k when the car's warm and it's cold outside. Did it for the first time in about 6 months this morning. Replaced the ECTS about 6 weeks ago. This only happens after driving for at least a few minutes, then stopping and putting it in park or neutral. If I shut it off, then restart, it's fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlem7 View Post
How about the EGR valve? When I took mine off to clean it, I ran the car for about 5 seconds, and it really screamed, right up to the rev limit.
That's because it was removed, which, by definition, constitutes a GI-NORMOUS vacuum leak (open port to the intake manifold). The EGR valve would have to be broken physically, structurally, as in cracked, and leaking vacuum to the atmosphere to do this. 'Course, the "spray something" vacuum leak test would reveal this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
webbkarz
webbkarz is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

SOHC's are notorious for intake leaks right at the #1 cyl. Spray some carb clnr. there and you'll probably find it.

Del
'95 SC2
'93 BMW 325is
Tulsa, OK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webbkarz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webbkarz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
webbkarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Blammer
Blammer is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

anybody got a pic of the TPS? that would help me!

97 SW2 270,000 miles and died when a tree fell on it.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
jnk111
jnk111 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

This is going to show my stupidity in trying to replace the IAC in a quick fashion. I had the exact same problem after replacing the IAC. Remove the IAC and pull the spring down, twist the rod so that is comes out further, then put it back in. I had to do this a couple of times, mine ended up so that I could not see the head looking through the throttle body. I tried to get it close to seated but not touching. I don't think this moves a whole lot after it is installed. It gives you a lot more air than needed at idle if it is not within specs. That's what I get for not reading the notes that came with the valve.

Just an FYI, This also cured my slow to return to idle and High revs, at least so far. I think that the IAC was not properly adjusted on the old one I removed, just a little too far out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnk111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnk111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnk111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
anybody got a pic of the TPS? that would help me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD51U5eofqo

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Blammer
Blammer is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

thanks!

97 SW2 270,000 miles and died when a tree fell on it.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blammer is offline   Reply With Quote