SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Cincy Saturn
Cincy Saturn is on a distinguished road

Default High Beam comes on...

In the morning, now that it is cool, when I make my first turn signal use, the high beam lamps come on and stay on.
If I wiggle the turn signal ( push it forward ) they go off. This happens for awhile then stops.

Also, the head lamps came on in the parking lot at work for some reason twice the other day.

Do I have gremlins ? Did the Brit's design this part of the electrical system ? Terrorist trying to drive me crazy ?

The dipstick for the 710 fluid says "ADD"...Where do you buy 710 fluid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cincy Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cincy Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: High Beam comes on...

No, this part is not Lucas (why do the British drink warm beer, because Lucas makes refridgerators)

Sounds like the stalk swtich is going bad, not hard to replace. Sorry, don't know how much, the one on the other side (wiper switch) is about $70.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
TrainerL200
TrainerL200 is on a distinguished road

S3 is right. IT's the headlight switch gone bad. You can get the switches much cheaper thru Rockauto.com. It'll take about 1.5 - 2 weeks to get to you...but it's much cheaper and shipping won't drive up the cost much. I got mine from Rock auto and it took me all of 15 minutes to pop off the upper steering wheel cover...unplug the switch...pop itout and hook up the new one! Enjoy! Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrainerL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrainerL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrainerL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L

Back in 2005 the light switch cost me $27 at the local Saturn shop. The contacts of the old switch was blackend and would no longer make good contact. I never did figure out how blackend contacts would make the high beams stay on, I was just glad that I didn't have to worry about my lights comming on while I was at work and draining the battery.

Ernesto, 2000 LS2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
GregS&L
GregS&L is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Yes, I had the same exact problem last winter around February or so. The hi beam light (blue light on the instrument panel) would come on in the cold morning for a few miles. It did it for about a week and suddenly stopped. Has not come on since - but probably will return sooner or later. Electrical problems are rarely "self healing" - it WILL come back. As was pointed out above, I read the AllData procedure, and it seems like a rather simple job to replace the stalk switch.

Ah yes, Lucas - The Prince of Darkness. Having owned a TR6 I know the quirks well. Voltage regulators that failed every year or so, tail light sockets that were extremely unreliable and very quirky instrument panel switches - especially the wiper switch. The warm beer joke is a classic. My favorite Lucas joke back in the late 1960s - early 1970s -- Why are there no skyscrapers in England? Because Lucas makes the elevators.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Cincy Saturn

Wrench Re: High Beam comes on...

I am finally getting around to posting the conclusion.

I bought the switch. I went thru Auto-parts Giant it was like $26 for a Genuine GM AC/DELCO { AC DELCO means made in Mexico btw }. I ordered a year's supply of filters to get to $50 so I got free shipping. My local Saturn Dealer was $150 for the part and a local part store was $149.

The damn Haynes book said take the entire cowling off. Sounds easy enough to pull (3) screws. Well (2) of the three are Torx type and the other is a nut driver type. You can't see any of these without a mirror and flash light. Needless to say I discovered this odd collection of hardware after much confusion. I thought I had stripped out the 3rd screw... I looked with a mirror & flashlight to see how bad I stripped it revealed the hex driver screw head.

The sad part is that, you can remove the top cowling by pressing the sides in... You dont even need to mess with the screws. I never removed the bottom cowling ( just the damn screws ) to get the switch in or out.

The switch is child's play to get in and out of the socket.

So kids save your self some bucks and do this one yourself ! Here is why:

Figure Mr. Goodwrench would be $150 for the switch and (2) hours of labor to order the part
Two hours ? yes:
write the shop order, drive your car in the service bay, disconnect the battery, lift the car off the ground, remove the three screws, remove the (2) piece cowling, remove switch, disconnect switch- then do the reverse. Add in 2% for shop materials and sales tax.
I guess we are talking $300 for the job.

Last edited by Cincy Saturn; 01-12-2008 at 05:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
BINEDIT
BINEDIT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saturn View Post
I am finally getting around to posting the conclusion.

I bought the switch. I went thru Auto-parts Giant it was like $26 for a Genuine GM AC/DELCO { AC DELCO means made in Mexico btw }. I ordered a year's supply of filters to get to $50 so I got free shipping. My local Saturn Dealer was $150 for the part and a local part store was $149.

The damn Haynes book said take the entire cowling off. Sounds easy enough to pull (3) screws. Well (2) of the three are Torx type and the other is a nut driver type. You can't see any of these without a mirror and flash light. Needless to say I discovered this odd collection of hardware after much confusion. I thought I had stripped out the 3rd screw... I looked with a mirror & flashlight to see how bad I stripped it revealed the hex driver screw head.

The sad part is that, you can remove the top cowling by pressing the sides in... You dont even need to mess with the screws. I never removed the bottom cowling ( just the damn screws ) to get the switch in or out.

The switch is child's play to get in and out of the socket.

So kids save your self some bucks and do this one yourself ! Here is why:

Figure Mr. Goodwrench would be $150 for the switch and (2) hours of labor to order the part
Two hours ? yes:
write the shop order, drive your car in the service bay, disconnect the battery, lift the car off the ground, remove the three screws, remove the (2) piece cowling, remove switch, disconnect switch- then do the reverse. Add in 2% for shop materials and sales tax.
I guess we are talking $300 for the job.

I am having the same problem, even had to jump start 4 times this year. Could you please be more specific of what part you got and from where. thanks much

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BINEDIT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BINEDIT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BINEDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Reliabilityman
Reliabilityman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Same problem with my hunk of junk L. I did pay the 150 bucks for the dealer to fix it because I did not know how hard it would be to pull the column apart. Again this is my worst car ever and it just proves through this site that many people have the exact same problems that I have had. It also caused the battery to run down on occasions. Looks like some smarter people know how to fix it than I did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reliabilityman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reliabilityman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Reliabilityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
why do the British drink warm beer, because Lucas makes refridgerators
Why did my '72 Spitfire have such great heat? Cuz the dash was on fire! Yep, I hear ya on that stuff. Re-wired 'er before she burned to the ground. My buddy's TR7 did not fare so well. Full on car-be-que. Ah well, the thing looked like a snowmobile trailer anyhow.

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Cincy Saturn

Wrench Re: High Beam comes on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINEDIT View Post
I am having the same problem, even had to jump start 4 times this year. Could you please be more specific of what part you got and from where. thanks much
It is the turn signal/head light switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel column.

I got it from Auto Parts Giant:
http://www.autopartsgiant.com/cj/?AI...457557&SID=3We

Combination Switch D1557H ACDELCO US Headlamp,Dimmer,Park, T/Sig Switch $26.03

You can just pull the fuses for the head lights till your part arrives

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
BINEDIT
BINEDIT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saturn View Post
It is the turn signal/head light switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel column.

I got it from Auto Parts Giant:
http://www.autopartsgiant.com/cj/?AI...457557&SID=3We

Combination Switch D1557H ACDELCO US Headlamp,Dimmer,Park, T/Sig Switch $26.03

You can just pull the fuses for the head lights till your part arrives
thanks for the response, i went ahead and messed with it. got the switch out and the local dealer was only 43 dollars so got it and put it in. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BINEDIT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BINEDIT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BINEDIT is offline   Reply With Quote