SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
pat13b
pat13b is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Outlook Weird Electronic Problems

Hello,

We have only had our 2007 outlook for about 2 months. My wife was driving it the other day and the GPS / Radio screen went black. She could not make anything turn on or off, chenge the volume of the radio, nothing she pressed did anything. She then stopped for gas and when restarting the car, the problem cleared.

A few days later, she stepped out of the car, and had not shut the door yet, when the drivers seat went all the way back and folded down. She was not anywhere near the memory buttons on the door panel.

Yesterday, the blue tooth ( i think that's what it is ?) kept saying command not understood over and over and over again until she pulled over shut the car off and back on again.

Today she drove into the driveway, got out of the car, opened up the rear hatch, and was talking to me in the driveway, when the horn beeped and all the doors locked. The keys were inside the car on the center console.

Anyone else experiencing any weard problems like this.

-pat13b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pat13b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pat13b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pat13b is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
jf7fsu
jf7fsu is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Devil Re: 2007 Outlook Weird Electronic Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat13b View Post
Hello,

We have only had our 2007 outlook for about 2 months. My wife was driving it the other day and the GPS / Radio screen went black. She could not make anything turn on or off, chenge the volume of the radio, nothing she pressed did anything. She then stopped for gas and when restarting the car, the problem cleared.

A few days later, she stepped out of the car, and had not shut the door yet, when the drivers seat went all the way back and folded down. She was not anywhere near the memory buttons on the door panel.

Yesterday, the blue tooth ( i think that's what it is ?) kept saying command not understood over and over and over again until she pulled over shut the car off and back on again.

Today she drove into the driveway, got out of the car, opened up the rear hatch, and was talking to me in the driveway, when the horn beeped and all the doors locked. The keys were inside the car on the center console.

Anyone else experiencing any weard problems like this.

-pat13b

You may need to obtain the services of an exorcist not a mechanic.

Outlook XR Cocoa/Black, Touring Pkg, Leather, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg, Molded Mudguards, Sidesteps, Remote Start, Hood Deflector, GMPP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jf7fsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jf7fsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jf7fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 Outlook Weird Electronic Problems

Rename your car Christine .....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
pat13b

Thanks for all your useful info. I should have stuck with a jap car.....

never had a problem with subaru's, toyota's, hyndia, and mazda's I have owned over the years.

My only other GM car was a 1979 Buick Regal, That was a piece of crap as well...

-pat13b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pat13b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for all your useful info. I should have stuck with a jap car.....

never had a problem with subaru's, toyota's, hyndia, and mazda's I have owned over the years.

My only other GM car was a 1979 Buick Regal, That was a piece of crap as well...

-pat13b
That's a really bad generalization to make. The electronic bug is bizarre, I'll give you, but have you yet gone to the dealer and had them look it over? That's not to guarantee they'll find the issue, but that is what a new car warranty is for.

Vehicles are more complex than ever, and electronic bugs--however weird--are not at all uncommon. You're the first I've EVER heard report something like that on an Outlook, or even the Acadia/Enclave, so it has to be something small and specific in regards to yours.

But until or unless someone else chimes in, get a dealership appointment. And in the meantime, now matter how possessed it seems, try and hold off from making ignorant assumptions that "Well, another junk GM...never again", for an odd issue that no one else seems to be reporting. The vaunted "Jap's" have the same issues, regardless of the perception--and anymore, more severe and lemon worthy than most domestics are putting out, with drivetrain defects, rattles and squeaks galore, crooked panels, etc., etc.

I assume you'd never have the same reaction if one of those "almighty" imports you had, developed a random problem...but you should.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What was giving this message? A display? The Outlook doesn't have Bluetooth, and AFIAK it doesn't have voice recognition (someone else can confirm whether it does or not).

Quote:
Did she hit the lock button on the door/key fob on the way out? I know that in later model GM cars (most all of which have the delayed locking feature, Outlook included), if you use that and let it go the five seconds after shutting the doors, it will chirp the horn as the doors lock as a confirmation.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
pat13b

I understand your point.

It has been back to the dealer, and I understand these are strange problems and will be very hard to find. Needless to say, they could not find any problems the last time it was back there.

I guess after spending 40K I am getting a bit worried with not only this problem but some of the QA probelms we have already had with it.

1. Passenger side door gasket didn't have a plug in it, so when we got it
home and I opened the passenger door, tihe gasket was falling off.

2. The center dash console does not open. (currenlty on order)
And I see many others have had this problem.

3. The passenger side mirrior has a mind of its own and makes binding noises
at times and does not always moves when pushing the button.
(not the glass but the entire mirror)

Also, since submitting this post, I took it for a ride to the store and the radio started changing stations all by itself.

My wife and I each put close to 70K on a car each year. So between the 2 of us, we are getting new ones almost every year. I have to say I have never had any QA or odd problems with any of the forgein cars we have owned. Maybe we have just been lucky...I currently drive a Subaru and would drive anything else.

-pat13b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have the XM satellite radio with navigation and there is a voice activation button on the steering wheel which you can use to ask it to change to different channels. I have not messed with it long enough to really use it efficiently yet but it does say "not able to understand command" or something to that effect when you ask it to change channels incorrectly. It does sound like a very rare electronic bug but you may want to go ahead and call to set up an exorcism just in case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand your point.

It has been back to the dealer, and I understand these are strange problems and will be very hard to find. Needless to say, they could not find any problems the last time it was back there.

I guess after spending 40K I am getting a bit worried with not only this problem but some of the QA probelms we have already had with it.

1. Passenger side door gasket didn't have a plug in it, so when we got it
home and I opened the passenger door, tihe gasket was falling off.

2. The center dash console does not open. (currenlty on order)
And I see many others have had this problem.

3. The passenger side mirrior has a mind of its own and makes binding noises
at times and does not always moves when pushing the button.
(not the glass but the entire mirror)

Also, since submitting this post, I took it for a ride to the store and the radio started changing stations all by itself.

My wife and I each put close to 70K on a car each year. So between the 2 of us, we are getting new ones almost every year. I have to say I have never had any QA or odd problems with any of the forgein cars we have owned. Maybe we have just been lucky...I currently drive a Subaru and would drive anything else.

-pat13b
You were just unlucky. You don't have an electronic problem, you have a lemon problem. Take it back for a replacement.

And what do you and your wife do that causes each of you to drive 70K miles in a year? My God. Taxi drivers don't drive that much.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
Smoke Bear
Smoke Bear is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2004 VUE 3.6L

Pat13b
The Outlook has a lot of neat features. Have you read to manual to see all it can do? A lot of what you mention may be tied to a neat feature.

The "Not able to understand command" message is from the OnStar hands free phone system. The "voice" button on the steering wheel will either mute the radio or when pressed for a few seconds, will activate the hands free phone.
If this happens again, say "Cancel". That should cause the phone to hang up.

My radio would change stations on its own, until I figured out I was brushing the audio controls on the steering wheel when re-positioning my hands or turning.
If that happens again, pay attention to where your hands were and are. Could they have hit the steering wheel buttons?

The Outlook does have the delayed locking feature. Try checking the settings in the DIC.

The Easy Exit feature will move the seat back when the vehicle is shut off and key removed. When hitting the unlock button on the keyfobs they will move the seat to position one or two. One keyfob is for position one and one keyfob is for position two.
Try shutting off the easy exit and setting both memory buttons to the same position.

Of course a computer glitch , moisture in the wrong place, etc. could be triggering all these features but I would make sure I understood all the features, settings, etc. and maybe even shut them off to see if they then act up.

While waiting for my 08 Outlook I probably read every thread on this forum and others. I don't remember anyone else having these problems, except for the dash compartment being hard to open.

Good luck and remember this is a brand new vehicle with a lot of complicated computer systems.

Ordered 8/10, built 8/31, delivered 9/11, mine 9/22.
2008 Outlook XR FWD, White Diamond Tri-Coat, Tan Leather, Advanced Audio, Convenience, Enhanced Convenience, Premium Trim, Trailering Package!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smoke Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smoke Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smoke Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
jf7fsu
jf7fsu is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Wrench Re: 2007 Outlook Weird Electronic Problems

Hi Pat 13b,

I am a Lexus convert, so I know the quality of the rice mobiles. I havent driven a GM since 1996 and bought my Outlook with no regrets. The fit and finish and excellent, the ride is superior and the exterior is cutting edge. Bet of all I saved 15-20K not buying a Lexus. I have not regretted my decision and believe me this board would be the first to hear about any complaints.

Read Smoke Bear's post and I bet it solves 90% of your problems. Sounds like he nailed it on the head. I would guess driver error on most of the problems.

Outlook XR Cocoa/Black, Touring Pkg, Leather, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg, Molded Mudguards, Sidesteps, Remote Start, Hood Deflector, GMPP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jf7fsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jf7fsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jf7fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Smoke Bear
Smoke Bear is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2004 VUE 3.6L

pat13b,

Here is another idea.

Concentrate on one feature at a time.

Learn to use OnStar and the hands free phone. (When the radio went blank, was there a little phone icon showing?)

Then try the settings for auto door locks in the DIC.

Play with and set the memory settings for the seat. Go into the DIC and turn on / off Easy Exit.

Again in the DIC, turn off the auto mirror down on reverse option.

Once you learn all of these features you will recognize when something unusual happens and can decide if it is a glitch or you just triggered it.

Ordered 8/10, built 8/31, delivered 9/11, mine 9/22.
2008 Outlook XR FWD, White Diamond Tri-Coat, Tan Leather, Advanced Audio, Convenience, Enhanced Convenience, Premium Trim, Trailering Package!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smoke Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smoke Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smoke Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #13
pat13b

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Although we did look over the owners manual, I think we should revisit that.

I do think there is something odd as I always drive with hands at 10 and 2
not anywhere near the controls on the wheel, and that radio was doing some weard stuff. (channels changing)

It's my Wife's car so I don't drive it other than making some quick trips with it.

I plan on spending some time with it over the next few days to see if I can get it to do anything else strange or find any type of pattern. I will also play with the settings on the dash.

One of the posts asked if there was any icon on the display when it went blank, on my wife. The answer is it was compleltly dark.

thanks again,

-pat13b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
outlookowner
outlookowner is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Just an observation. Don't all the reported symptoms have one possible common failure point? The steering wheel controls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlookowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlookowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlookowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlookowner View Post
Just an observation. Don't all the reported symptoms have one possible common failure point? The steering wheel controls?
You might be ons to something. I always hold my hands at 8 and 4, never 10 and 2. I don't think 10 and 2 is safe and your hands brush over the steering wheel controls too easily.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #16
outlookowner
outlookowner is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
You might be ons to something. I always hold my hands at 8 and 4, never 10 and 2. I don't think 10 and 2 is safe and your hands brush over the steering wheel controls too easily.
I didn't intend to imply you were accidentally hitting the controls on your steering wheel. Since almost all the symptoms you describe have the steering wheel controls as a common failure point I was thinking there might be a problem with the steering wheel's wiring?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlookowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlookowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlookowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #17
Joz
Joz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure, but the Outlook may have a Body Control Module (BCM) that runs all of the previously enumerated features.

That could be your singular point of failure.

I'll dig around and see what I can find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #18
Joz
Joz is on a distinguished road

Alright, it does have a BCM and it looks like it connect to the steering wheel controls, Nav system, radio, and security system. I suspect it does tie into the power memory seat module as well.

I'd guess there is a problem with your BCM. It may need a re-programming. It may need a replacement (though the odds are small on that).

The odds of these anomalies being mutually exclusive are trivially small.

Keep us posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #19
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

When I still had my VUE, I started having weird problems. Radio would go off and come back on, head lights would turn off (thank god for a flash light!), just some strange things. I had no idea what was wrong, so when I took it into the dealer they brought the head mechanic out and he asked me what was wrong. I told him "I'm not sure, but I think my car is possessed." He said it is your BCM. They gave me a loaner checked it out and sure enough it was my BCM. They replaced it, and I never had any other problems.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #20
pat13b

Thanks for the ideas.

So far nothing else weard has happened this week.

Any idea where this BCM is located in the car ?

-pat13b

REWARD EXCELLENCE!