SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
PFY
PFY is on a distinguished road

Default how to clean my throttle body?

I need to clean my throttle body and IAC, and was about to use Carb cleaner, but I heard instead that I should use throttle body cleaner... Does it really matter? is my haynes wrong to tell me to use carb cleaner?

On a side note, how hard is it to clean the IAC?

PFY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PFY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PFY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

get some gm top engine cleaner from your local saturn store. the instructions are on the can.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Sam96SL2
Sam96SL2 is on a distinguished road

I found the best way is to take the thorttle body off and clean it that way..make sure to have DEEP 10mm socket and gasket handy..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sam96SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sam96SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

Yes, Sam's suggestion is the best way to clean up the T-body.

The carbon gunk usually hides behind the throttle plate and inner area.

Only remove 2 bolts and couple of electrical harnesses.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2002, 03:19 PM   #5
PFY
PFY is on a distinguished road

sounds good, so can I use my carb cleaner for it? I don't really feel like letting it go to waste...

PFY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PFY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PFY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2002, 03:40 PM   #6
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

My club's website has a tech article on throttlebody cleaning here http://www.saturnracingclub.com/newsite/Page_6.html I would pass on the carb cleaner unless it specifically says that it is sensor safe.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2002, 06:59 PM   #7
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Default throttle body

I just finished boring my throttle body, and cleaning it out with Carb Cleaner. Did not know there was a difference between carb / throttle body cleaner.

Anyhow, I used it, and lots of it, all over the throttle body. Popped the sucker back in, and it works good as new. I sprayed the sensors down also, didn't seem to affect anything at all...

Although this isn't recommended, you may be able to use it, but be careful around the sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:30 AM   #8
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

To thoroughly clean the TB, you should remove it. Then, it's only 4 more screws to remove the IAC and TPS. Once you've removed the sensors, the carb cleaner will work just fine. Cleans off the carbon and then evaporates. Be sure to have an extra gasket on hand, in case the old one gets destroyed.

After reassembling the IAC and TPS, and reinstalling the TB, I had to reset the PCM due to a funny idle. I think the computer had to figure out the IAC position after I'd taken it off.

For future reference, if you want to clean the butterfly plate when it's sticking, without removing the TB, I've used Valvoline SynPower Throttle Body Cleaner and it didn't harm the sensors or the IAC O-ring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2002, 09:28 PM   #9
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartbeat - '95 SL2
For future reference, if you want to clean the butterfly plate when it's sticking, without removing the TB, I've used Valvoline SynPower Throttle Body Cleaner and it didn't harm the sensors or the IAC O-ring.
That's what I use and that's how I do it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2002, 03:17 AM   #10
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

OK, I guess this is as good a place as any to ask a fairly lame question. The intake tube/TB clamp locks when you open it, and I haven't mastered how to unlock it. A little help here? I really tweaked it last time, so I'm not sure it'll work. Do they sell standard hose clamps that big so that I can just replace it, and if not, where do I get another clamp like the original?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2002, 06:19 AM   #11
Abe95SC2

You can get a standard hose clamp in that size at any harware or auto parts store.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2002, 07:14 AM   #12
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Idea

Quote:
OK, I guess this is as good a place as any to ask a fairly lame question. The intake tube/TB clamp locks when you open it, and I haven't mastered how to unlock it. A little help here? I really tweaked it last time, so I'm not sure it'll work. Do they sell standard hose clamps that big so that I can just replace it, and if not, where do I get another clamp like the original?
I had that happen on my 1996 SC2 too! But my 1993 SL2 didn't have the same type of clamp - it was the band clamp with the screw. The first time I took the intake off my 1996 SC2 to clean the TB I had the clamp lock in the open position as you described. I still have the original air intake from my 1993 SL2 even though I initially put a HotShot air intake on it, so I used the band clamp with the screw from the 93 and put it on the 96. So Abe is correct. By the way, I eventually moved my HotShot air intake system from my 1993 SL2 to my 1996 SC2 and put an IceMan air intake system on my 1993 SL2. I could mail my band clamp from the original 1993 SL2 air intake to you because I'm not using it anymore, but it would be faster and less expensive to do what Abe said: get it from a hardware or parts store. I'd recommend getting the band clamp with a screw from the plumbing section of Home Depot (if there are any in your area). It should be between $1 and $2.

On a related note, the upper radiator hose on one of my non-Saturns popped off at the radiator last year, causing me to lose all my coolant within seconds. Guess what? It had one of those same squeeze-type clamps that we are talking about here between the TB and the air intake! So after a quick visit to Home Depot, I replaced all of those squeeze-type clamps on both radiator hoses on all my vehicles (I have four) with band clamps with screws.

Those squeeze-type clamps are nothing but trouble!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg band clamps with the screw.jpg (15.5 KB, 37 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2002, 07:08 PM   #13
Abe95SC2

If you want to get really facy pants you can use these. Gator clamps I have these in strategic places in my car and I wiil eventually replace all my hose clamps with these.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2002, 07:52 PM   #14
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:

Using a pair of pliers squeeze the clamp tabs together so that the locking clip is loose of the lock tab and then use a flat bladed screw driver to push down on the piece that the lock tab goes into. Then release (slowly) the pliers and the lock clip should slip over and allow the clamp to expand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread