SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Zeroherokid
Zeroherokid is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SW2
Default how to remove oil drain pan?

Just acquired a 94 SW2 about 148K miles with minor oil leak. Most obvious cause was leaking camcover gasket so I successfully changed that. Still leaving drips of oil in the driveway (although less now). I degreased the engine to find the leak. Looks like the oil drain pan gasket is leaking. I don't think it is the timing chain cover gasket nor the seal.

I did a search on removing the oil drain pan and some posts say to remove the crank pulley to reach the 4 bolts behind it. Others don't mention that step. Question: can the oil drain pan be removed without pulling the crank pulley? Can I reach those bolts with a flex shaft screwdriver thingy? I read several posts about how it is a PITA to get the crank pulley bolt off so I would like to avoid it if at all possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeroherokid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeroherokid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeroherokid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: how to remove oil drain pan?

No, you have to remove the pulley to get the oil pan bolts out.

My method is to remove the number one spark plug, get 5 ft of cat 5 cable, shove as much as I can into the cylinder number 1, then turn the engine by hand until it can't turn no more, and lastly use a breaker bar on the bolt, it's a 21mm. Works for me every time.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Titanium48
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

^^^ Is that your preferred method of reinstalling it as well? I used the starter method to remove it and put the car in 5th and had my wife stand on the brake to reinstall. I was wondering how I'd be able to install it if I had an automatic. I've also tried wedging a socket extension between the pulley and the timing cover, but that was at the junkyard so I wasn't concerned about breaking/denting things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Titanium48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Titanium48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
allen57
allen57 is on a distinguished road

i just shoved a wide screwdriver between the slot of the h.b. and the timing chain cover, then used my breaker bar, extensions, and my 4ft cheater pipe, and it came right off, i didnt see any damage, except a little scratch,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to allen57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help allen57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
allen57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Oil Pan
Saturn Coupes/Sedans/Wagons 1991-1998 Repair Guide

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands. Remove the plug and drain the engine oil from the pan and crankcase.

Disconnect the fasteners from the exhaust manifold flange and the pipe rear flange, then remove the front exhaust pipe and gaskets from the vehicle.

Remove the engine stiffening bracket and the flywheel cover.

Remove the right wheel and splash shield, then loosen the 4 front motor mount bolts. Back the bolts out about 1/2 in. (12mm).

Remove all the oil pan bolts. For vehicles with a manual transaxle, an 8mm flex socket may be used to access the rear oil pan bolts located next to the flywheel.

Using SA9123E, or an equivalent RTV cutter tool, separate the oil pan from the engine. Drive the tool around the pan to shear the RTV seam, then tap the pan sideways with a rubber mallet to loosen.

Pry the engine mount away from the engine as necessary and remove the oil pan. Be careful not to damage or score component surfaces when prying.

To install:

Carefully clean the gasket mating surfaces with a scraper and solvent.

Apply a 0.16 in. (4mm) bead of RTV sealer to the pan flange. Make sure the RTV is applied to the inner side of the flange from the bolt holes as shown.

Install the oil pan within 3 minutes of RTV application and tighten the bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

Tighten the front mount bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

Install the right splash shield and wheel.

Install the engine stiffening bracket and the flywheel cover.

Install the exhaust pipe. Tighten the pipe to manifold nuts in a crosswise pattern to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm) and the pipe to converter bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).

Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle, then fill the engine crankcase with clean engine oil immediately in order to prevent an attempt to start the engine without oil.

Start the engine and check for leaks.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
Zeroherokid
Zeroherokid is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SW2

Thanks eRic 02sc2. I came across that info too. There is no mention of removing the crankshaft pulley in that write-up so maybe it is possible to do it that way. I'll give it a try this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeroherokid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeroherokid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeroherokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
orneryhermit
orneryhermit is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen57 View Post
i just shoved a wide screwdriver between the slot of the h.b. and the timing chain cover, then used my breaker bar, extensions, and my 4ft cheater pipe, and it came right off, i didnt see any damage, except a little scratch,
Yeah, I used a wonder bar - the wide flat pry bar. It slips in easily and distributes the force well on the oil pan lip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orneryhermit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orneryhermit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
orneryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Hipster
Hipster is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I remove the lower motor mount completely to give more access to front pan bolts (after removing crank pulley) I have it down to less than 1 hour to get the pan off. Granted all parts have been removed and I still haven't taken it down from jack stands ( going on 2 months!).
Good luck!

'95 SL2 "Little Beast" (Kids like the name)
Rebuilt motor
"Big Beast" is a '03 F150 gas hog for boat towing/ice fishing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hipster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hipster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
^^^ Is that your preferred method of reinstalling it as well?
Yup, just turn 'til the engine is tight and then torque it down. Then, just make sure the turn the engine so the piston is down and pull the cat5 cable out of the engine.

My method works for every single engine, engine in the car or not.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote