SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
girllovesherion
girllovesherion is on a distinguished road

Default I need help with relays, and fuses!

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 2. The A/C stopped working around July or August. The buttons wouldn't light up and no air came out. A friend of mine said he replaced a relay, and it fixed everything, but it's happened again. I had the car checked a while back, it has freon and everything. Now, I'm afraid to drive my car because I haven't seen the cooling fan turn on, so I'm thinking it will over heat. I checked the fuses and everything else was working. I read the manuel and it says the run relay controls the A/C. So how do I know it's the run relay for sure? Or anyone out there have any other possible suggestions on what it could be?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to girllovesherion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help girllovesherion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
girllovesherion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: I need help with relays, and fuses!

The lack of a/c has nothing to do with the cooling system and whether the radiator fan turns on or not. They are two separate systems run independently from each other. The fact that they have the cooling fan in common may be the cause of your concern. If there's any warranty left on the car bring it in for service ASAP!

1-When the a/c is working and turned on the fan will automatically turn on as there's a greater heat load generated in addition to the engine cooling demands, the a/c system generates heat. This heat is in the condenser coil that lies directly in front of the radiator so the heat from the condenser coil is blown into the hot radiator therefore the need to have the cooling fan turned on the moment the a/c is needed. When the a/c is off the fan is only needed to cool the radiator and then only turned on when the temperature reaches a certain point. The fan will turn on and cool off the radiator until the temperature is lowered then its turned off. This is the normal way the radiator fan operates, independently of the a/c system. By using the a/c to cool off the interior the radiator fan is turned on immediately due to the extra heat given off from the a/c condenser coil that otherwise would just blow extra heat into the radiator core without cooling off the radiator but as long as the fan is turned on during a/c use both systems are cooled off simultaneously.

2-Read your owner's manual to find all the fuses for your car as they're spread out from the engine compartment to possibly the driver's and passenger side making it three places to hunt for fuses. Generally the a/c fuse would be located under the engine hood and labeled appropriately. This would be the first thing to check for before looking elsewhere. As long as the main a/c fuse is fine then your car may have the typical symptoms of owning a car after a few years have passed - a refrigerant leak that's finally been detected as a low pressure situation from the systems low pressure switch that disables the a/c from running. The refrigerant is used to carry lubricating oil for the compressor and if there isn't sufficient refrigerant to carry the lubricating oil to the compressor damage will occur. So a low pressure switch will detect the low amount of refrigerant and disable the a/c from operating. Either you or someone you know can attempt to find the cause of this situation using a/c related equipment or turn to a pro that can diagnose and repair a/c car systems. For a primer on a/c systems try reading this; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107.

And Welcome to Saturnfans !

Last edited by fdryer; 09-26-2007 at 05:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote