SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Navigation Install

I was able to get my pioneer avic-d3 navigation installed. I was also able to keep the annoying chimes, onstar, and steering wheel controls. I put pictures in the member photos area. I ran the wires for the aftermarket xm radio, but havent taken apart the rear deck yet to get the factory xm antenna plug. MJD with the book of magic could you by chance post how to remove the rear deck, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone wants to install navigation in their car, i will give them all the information they need.

P.S.
The radio came with a black trim piece that matches the head unit to put around the mounting bracket to help make it look better, I will probably put it on tomorrow. I will see how it looks first.

Last edited by oachalon; 09-22-2007 at 10:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Navigation Install

Yes, looks great! Those Pioneer units are GREAT systems, and extremely popular--was waiting to see when someone would finally pop one in an Aura. Right size, just need to get it plugged in with the correct harnesses and modules, and you're set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

You mean the radios in our cars are not double DIN?

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
oachalon

2007 AURA XR

You got it beach all i needed was the gmos-lan-04 to keep onstar and chimes and the pac swi-ps to keep the steering wheel controls.

Bgates, it is a double din deck but you almost always need a mounting bracket for aftermarket units so they can be used in all different cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #5
armyconrob
armyconrob is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Finally someone post pics of a double din install, was beginning to get worried that it couldn't be done and look that good. The install looks really good man hope to see some other pics soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to armyconrob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help armyconrob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
armyconrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

greta job, it looks fantastic! Could you post the install instructions in the "how to" section?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
oachalon

2007 AURA XR

Yeah, When i get time to write them up i will post them on there. Anybody out there wanna please give me instructions to get the rear deck off to access the antenna wire connected to the xm unit. I would greatly appreciate it. I think pdftruth took his rear deck off at one time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

This is the way the Aura dash should look. Great job and thanks for sharing the pictures

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Gorge
Gorge is on a distinguished road

Wow!!! That install looks awesome. Can't wait to see what the black trim ring looks like. What model Pioneer is that unit? Does it have a built in 6 disc changer or is it a single? I could go on and on but, I'll wait for your install notes. I was going to give On-Star another $50 to get the navigation service for the rest of the year but, I think I'll put that towards an installation like yours. Fantastic job.

Gorge in PA

'07 Aura XR
'06 Durago Ltd.
'90 F-150
'96 GPZ 1100

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gorge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gorge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
oachalon

2007 AURA XR

the unit is the pioneer avic-d3. Its only a single disc. Take a look on their website on more specs. They have a higher model, the avic-z2 with a built in hard drive. If anyone is planning on installing one before i get the notes up just send me a pm and i will help you out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

I'd love to but I'd be going a little crazy scanning lots of pages from the three different volumes that are referenced...plus it says to disable the airbag system first. You can buy the service manual from here like I did:

http://www.saturn-publications.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
MJD with the book of magic could you by chance post how to remove the rear deck, I would greatly appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
oachalon

2007 AURA XR

its alright, thanks for all the help. I said screw it and just tore right into it. It was pretty simple. The xm unit was in front of the rear speakers towards the seats, so i didnt even have to remove the c pillars just unbolt that plastic piece that goes across the back and then i could get my hand right through there to get the antenna lead off. Didnt take long to do. I just have to get an antenna extender and then i will have my xm hooked up.

Thanks again though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Cool! Glad you got it done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
dcusk1971
dcusk1971 is on a distinguished road

That looks really good! Can you post the instructions? I was thnking about a stand-alone unit but this may be the way to go. How long did the process take? Also, where did you purchase the unit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcusk1971's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcusk1971 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcusk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #15
oachalon

2007 AURA XR

The first time I did it it took me about 2 hours. Today I had to do some adjustments so I had to take the unit out and i was able to do that in a half hour. It really is simple its all plug and play and reading the instructions of the modules. I bought the unit at 6ave.com. Im going to start working on the instructions very soon, just have been very busy. Almost all the instructions are on the manufacturers websites. I used a metra axxess gmos-lan-04 to keep onstar and the door chimes. http://www.axxessinterface.com/products.aspx

Thats their website.

http://documents.victorytechnologies...MOS-LAN-04.pdf

thats the instructions to install it.

To keep steering wheel controls I used a PAC-SWI PS this unit is for pioneer units. They have ones for other units.

The instructions for that are

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=452

I then used a metra 40-cr10 antenna adaptor and a metra 99-3302 mounting bracket. You then just have to pretty much read the instructions for all of these items and you can then install them. I will post more detailed instructions later.

Last edited by oachalon; 09-26-2007 at 09:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
XRoc
XRoc is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Wow, that looks beautiful

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
Cowtown_Raider
Cowtown_Raider is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

That looks slick...nice work!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cowtown_Raider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cowtown_Raider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cowtown_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote