SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Are You Sure You'd Rather Have An Enclave?

The good and the bad, from USA Today:

Buick Enclave is supposed to be the luxury version of the full-size crossover SUVs that General Motors (GM) also sells as the Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia.
The Buick hit the market about four months later than the others, tagged a 2008 model, while the others were launched as '07s.

PHOTOS/AUDIO: Enclave photos with Healey's comments
MORE TEST DRIVE: Archive of Healey's columns
SIDE BY SIDE: Compare this vehicle to others
The good news: GM has effectively used sheetmetal and interior components to distinguish Enclave from Outlook (Test Drive, May 4) and Acadia (Test Drive, Dec. 22).

It has given the Enclave a quieter cabin and smoother, if slightly number, ride. Thus the Buick comes off as a truly different vehicle, even though the engine, transmission and suspension hardware are the same and it's built by the same workers on the same assembly line as the Saturn and GMC models. It retains most of the practical and visceral appeal that make the others standouts.

The bad news: The styling is overdone and the details undercut what appeal it has. Enclave tortures the slim, straight elegance of Outlook and Acadia. Enclave's detailing — the faux portholes, the overlarge grille (so thin and flexible on the test vehicle that it twisted in your hands when the hood was raised), the sloping side windows and inexplicably ovaled rear window — harass the eye and reduce what already was limited rear visibility.

If you could see the Buick just in shadowed silhouette, no highlights, it would look good, voluptuously muscular. But the devil is the details.

Reasonable people often disagree on matters of taste, so you might love the look.

Inside, the luxury touches are too often affectations rather than graceful expressions of the high life. The arch in the center of the dashboard is an example of trying too hard. The wood steering wheel serves the purpose of looking good, but it is cold, hard and far less pleasant than the leathered wheels in the Saturn and GMC versions.

Different tires and slightly different tuning of the suspension hardware give Enclave an isolated feel in contrast to the responsive personae of the Saturn and GMC versions and the slightly smaller Mazda CX-9 (which sports a bigger engine for '08, 3.7 liters vs. 3.5) that's a very classy alternative to the GM crossovers.

Goody, the old-fashioned among you are saying. Finally something not obsessed with "European" ride and handling. Add Buick's comfortable seats to the equation and folks who prefer smooth to taut might indeed find the Enclave a good choice.

What might trigger second thoughts:

• The driver's side power seat in the test vehicle began to move in jerks instead of smoothly. GM says that's a problem with a few components on early models and has been fixed. Trust but verify, as the late President Reagan said.

• The fuel economy suddenly went south. Tooling along getting about 16 mpg in suburban driving, then almost in a wink, the average tumbles to less than 14, even though more highway miles and fewer stop-go miles were being driven.

GM examined the all-wheel-drive test vehicle, found no error codes in the vehicle's computer, and handed it back. It wound up recording 14-and-change overall, disappointing considering the heavy mix of highway miles during the test drive, the 18 mpg combined-driving rating, and the somewhat better mileage of Outlook and Acadia. Enclave weighs a modest 60 to 80 pounds more than the others, according to GM specifications, not enough to make a big mileage difference.

"I'm at a loss," says Pete Nico, vehicle line engineer for what GM calls midsize crossover utility vehicles, even though they are the same size as, and have more interior room than, a full-size Chevrolet Tahoe SUV.

• Automatic transmission initially jerked and delayed, but while GM had the tester to see why the mileage plunged, it also installed a transmission software upgrade — "third and last," Nico says — to correct shift problems.

All '08s that use the transmission, not just the Buick, are supposed to get the upgrade. That includes not only the other crossovers, but some Saturn cars.

After the latest fix, the transmission shifted much better, but:

When you really, really wanted a right-now two- or three-gear downshift to, say, elude a rampaging dump truck, the transmission took a while to believe you meant what your right foot said. Once it decided you did, the shifts were crisp and well-executed.

And the gearbox nervously hunted for the proper gear on minor grades. Oh, the shifts among gears were crisp enough during the hunt, but so much fussiness was unwelcome. Gave you the sense the vehicle was underpowered and needed to downshift to tackle an anthill. It's not. GM's 3.6-liter V-6 that powers all the big crossovers is a snappy number.

• Rear visibility. It's crummy in the Saturn and GMC versions, which have straight-edge rear windows, and becomes a significant problem in the slant- and oval-window Buick.

• Storage isn't quite what you want. There's no handy spot for the headphones that accompany the rear-seat video system, for instance. And the center console in front isn't commodious.

On the other hand, Enclave is from a good family. In some mysterious fashion, GM has given all the big crossovers an engaging feel that invites you to drive for enjoyment, not just to get to soccer practice on time. Steering, brakes, handling (even Enclave's) are satisfying. Driving position is properly comfortable.

As on the Saturn and GMC versions, the second-row seats slide forward to expand the rear cargo space and backward to provide generous legroom in the second row.

Second-row seats flop and slide forward unusually far, if not entirely smoothly, for good access to the third row. And that third row is sized for adults. Sliding the second row back into place afterward is cumbersome, however.

The array of features, standard and optional, is just right. Tire pressure monitor, for example, shows the status of each tire so you don't have to guess which one's low, as you do in the Mazda and some other vehicles. Standard satellite radio is XM, which has better reception (at least along much of the East Coast) than rival Sirius does. (CX-9 offers only Sirius). OnStar telecommunications system can call for help automatically if you crash. Personal preferences, such as whether the horn beeps when you lock the vehicle or how long the lights stay on after you shut down, are easy to program. Trip computer (you can't get one in the CX-9) is easy to use.

The Enclave, Outlook and Acadia haven't been on the road long enough to establish a track record for reliability. But maybe that's not an issue for you. And perhaps you aren't put off by limited rear visibility. And you embrace, rather than reject, the Buick styling details.

Well, then, sign the check. Enclave has the same good genes the other GM crossovers have even though to some eyes it's the misshapen member of the tribe.
2008 Buick Enclave

•What is it? Full-size, four-door, seven- or eight-passenger crossover SUV, available with front-wheel drive (fwd) or all-wheel drive (awd). Mechanically the same as Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia; built at the same Delta Township factory in Lansing, Mich.

•How soon? On sale since April.

•How much? Starting prices: CX fwd, $32,790, including $735 destination charge. CX awd, $34,790. CXL fwd, $34,990. CXL awd, $36,990. Well-equipped test vehicle was about $45,000.

•What's the drivetrain? 3.6-liter V-6 rated 275 horsepower at 6,600 rpm, 251 pounds-feet of torque at 3,200 rpm; six-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift feature, traction control.

All-wheel drive is tuned to anticipate, rather than only react to, need for rear traction; programmed to keep vehicle stable in corners by funneling power to outside wheels rather than cutting power to inside wheels, as stability control does.

•What's the safety gear? Expected bags and belts, plus front-seat, side-impact bags, head-curtain bags for all three rows of seats, anti-lock brakes, stability control, OnStar emergency communication system

•What's the rest? Standard on all models: Three-zone automatic climate control; power steering, brakes, windows, mirrors, locks, seats; AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible stereo with input jack for auxiliary audio players; auto-dimming inside rearview mirror with compass; remote-control locks; high-intensity discharge headlights; fog lights; power operated tailgate; rear-window and outside mirror defrosters; tilt-adjustable and telescoping steering column; XM satellite radio with three months free service; OnStar telecommunications system with one year free service.

Other standard and optional features vary by model. Details at www.buick.com.

•How big? Full-size; same footprint as Chevrolet Tahoe. Enclave is 201.5 inches long, 79 inches wide, 72.5 inches tall on a 119-inch wheelbase.

Weight is listed as 4,780 (fwd) or 4,985 (awd) pounds.

Cargo space in cubic feet is listed as: Behind third row, 18.9; when third row's folded, 66; when second and third rows are folded, 115.1.

Turning circle is listed as 40.4 feet, curb-to-curb.

Rated to tow 4,500 lbs. Rated to carry 1,280 — 1,635 lbs. depending on model and equipment.

•How thirsty? Fwd is rated 16 miles per gallon in town, 24 on the highway, 19 in combined driving. Awd is 16/22/18. For comparison, those are 1 to 2 mpg better than the slightly smaller Mazda CX-9, which weighs about 450 pounds less than Enclave. Test vehicle's trip computer showed 14.4 mpg in mixed driving.

Tank holds 22 gallons. Regular-grade (87 octane) gasoline is specified.

•Overall: Poor rear visibility and overwrought styling make the mechanically identical Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia seem like better machines"

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Are You Sure You'd Rather Have An Enclave?

Yes, I'd rather have a Buick Enclave... Everything the author, Healey?, said is his opinion and his preference.

Fact is the Enclave is an upscale, quieter, most luxurious version of the Lambda chassis. From the sales and other reviews I've read it is a very desireable vehicle and will sell very well.

All three versions of the Lambda are very desireable vehicles. All three are aimed at different demographics and should maximize sales. You should be happy that all three versions are selling well.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Yes, I'd rather have a Buick Enclave... Everything the author, Healey?, said is his opinion and his preference.

Fact is the Enclave is an upscale, quieter, most luxurious version of the Lambda chassis. From the sales and other reviews I've read it is a very desireable vehicle and will sell very well.

All three versions of the Lambda are very desireable vehicles. All three are aimed at different demographics and should maximize sales. You should be happy that all three versions are selling well.
Sorry but i dont believe it is fact. I test drove both the outlook and the enclave and they both are the same in quietness. As far a luxury goes, the only difference i found was a little more wood trim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

I happen to agree with everything the author said. I absolutely do not want a wood steering wheel or numb, isolated driving. That's a complaint I have about the big Lexus luxury sedan (yes, I've driven one). The more "isolated" (smooth, quiet, etc.)the less of a "driver's car.' Some prefer isolation and luxury because they want to cruise. That's not me. A loaded Outlook XR is as plush and isolated as I care to get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I think the Enclave looks classier and more luxurious.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
MJD1001
MJD1001 is on a distinguished road

In My opinion, the Enclave looks better than the other 2 only with the 19 inch wheels and in that light brown/tan color that the show car was in. Any other color or configuration, I like the Outlook and/or Acadia better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD1001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD1001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Devil Re: Are You Sure You'd Rather Have An Enclave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
I think the Enclave looks classier and more luxurious.

And that makes you a solid, previous generation Buick prospect. Nothing wrong with that at all. I too am more a classic, traditional type who much prefers J.S.Bach's, Baroque music to the Romantic period, as an example.

There is still a market for large, slightly ostentaious "Yankee Iron", big enough to support Buick Motor Division's pudgey product's quite well, I should think. This sort of Buick owner/ intender sees Cadillac as a spawn of satan himself, or heavy metal at the very least and wouldn't be caught dead driving one.

As for the Hornet, I much prefer a SATURN AURA XR. I just don't like "truckish things".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

I hardly see how that's a fair review when the bulk of complaints were based on the reviewer's personal opinions regarding taste and style. I think the Outlook is very attractive; bold and handsome. But the Enclave makes my head spin around whenever I see one. It looks more expensive than it is and manages to make a giant SUV look sexy. Its extra luxury touches, while a matter of personal taste to a degree, make it a better value next to a comparably equipped/similarly priced Outlook or Acadia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

My mother drives a 2004 Suburban 1500 LS 2wd, loves it, uses the space at times, and it's her second, sort of (moved from an Avalanche). That said, I FINALLY got her interested enough in the Acadia/Outlook to drive some, and she just came up for the weekend and did just that. Hit the Saturn dealer first, took out a basic FWD XR, which she liked, and then the GMC dealer just to see the visual differences in an Acadia.

Seeing both, she really much still liked them, but I wasn't getting a huge "Wow!" kind of a deal--still was chatting with the saleguy at Saturn as if she would buy the right one that day, but wanted to see the other first. Then later in the day, I said let's go to a Buick dealer down the road. Being that it was the first Enclave she had seen in person, she had to take it in, but something had clearly ticked. Then we got the keys and she saw and felt the interior and I could see it stronger. Started driving, and when she was already smiling in the parking lot and saying "Wow, this is so much nicer than the other one..." I knew it.

So, the Chevy driver that generally likes the sportier/cooler look the most, and whom I THOUGHT the Outlook would be a perfect fit, is going to order an Enclave. Here's why:
1) Look: Outside, I wasn't sure at first, but she ended up loving it and thought it was gorgeous.
2) Seats: Same design, but in cloth (our choice, in any of them), the Buicks seats seem SO much more luxurious. Even I was baffled, as I knew the design was the same, but the soft cloth and the slight extra padding of the Enclave seats made them the first ones to ever rival the sublime cloth buckets & benches in our Suburban.
3) Inside design/trim: She liked the Acadia's lack of all wood in favor of metal-tones, and in the Outlook, didn't object to the wood, but looked at it and asked me if it was just cheap plastic. But the Enclaves combination of faux (and real on the wheel) wood and metal tone together with chrome looks and feels fantastic, and again even in a "base" model, seemed several notches above both the Outlook and Acadia.
4) Driving: Again, I didn't expect much difference, but she immediately remarked just in the parking lot that it was different, and different in a great way--the salesman, who knew the vehicles, didn't believe it, but I completely agreed. Just there, already seemed more plush and YES quieter, something that continued on the road. The Outlook, for instance, was exactly as whisper quiet and firmly supple as the Acadia I drove a while ago, almost riding more like our Suburban "thump" wise over large holes and bumps. But the Enclave had virtually no sound over anything, just a slight engine growl near shift points, smothered road impacts in a more isolated manner, but STILL didn't feel a bit floaty, and handled exactly like the other too. The slight change in tuning, or moreso the extra insulation, really do make a difference. Not disgustingly floppy AND silent like a Lexus RX, but solid and supple AND silent like some MB's.

So, that was our Friday & Saturday. Go in knowing full well about the Acadia & Outlook, and preparing almost for her to take home a suprise new Outlook, only to see and experience the Enclave and completely change face. On paper, the differences in the vehicles are minor aside from looks, but in person I was impressed and she moreso was just stunned by the Buick. "I knew the Buick would be nicer--they always are", was how it was put at first, based on her past experience with a rental LeSabre (admittedly frumpy as could be, but she loved how it drove even compared to the 300M she had at the time) and almost buying one, and then last summer again almost buying a new Lucerne.

I still love the Outlook & Acadia too, and if you're looking for a touch truckier feel and look, they're the ticket--and look great in their own unique ways as well. I'd even gladly still buy an Outlook like we drove, but the Buick just...wow. I'm SO glad a dealer actually had one available to see and drive, and that wasn't sold the minute it hit.

So all Acadia-Outlook talk has ceased, and now she's just waiting a bit to see if she gets any extra GM incentives (has happened after each one of her last purchases), and also sees more colors in person and can think more about the middle seat layout, etc.--then it's Enclave time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet View Post

And that makes you a solid, previous generation Buick prospect. Nothing wrong with that at all. I too am more a classic, traditional type who much prefers J.S.Bach's, Baroque music to the Romantic period, as an example.

There is still a market for large, slightly ostentaious "Yankee Iron", big enough to support Buick Motor Division's pudgey product's quite well, I should think. This sort of Buick owner/ intender sees Cadillac as a spawn of satan himself, or heavy metal at the very least and wouldn't be caught dead driving one.

As for the Hornet, I much prefer a SATURN AURA XR. I just don't like "truckish things".
Right on, as far as I'm concerned. I love the old Buicks. I want them to bring back the Riviera!
If you're referring to the new sporty Cadillac you're right there also. The DTS is my favorite.
My favorite of the new Saturns is the 2008 VUE. The seating position/cockpit feels the best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=beach109;
On paper, the differences in the vehicles are minor aside from looks, but in person I was impressed and she moreso was just stunned by the Buick. "I knew the Buick would be nicer--they always are", was how it was put at first, based on her past experience with a rental LeSabre (admittedly frumpy as could be, but she loved how it drove even compared to the 300M she had at the time) and almost buying one, and then last summer again almost buying a new Lucerne.
QUOTE]

Sounds like she went into it with a definite bias toward Buicks. It's all subjective, from all of us, including your mom and the author. I admit to being bias AGAINST Buicks (cars for old people) but I have no pro Saturn bias. I'd never been in a Saturn showroom until this year. I thought they were junk until I took a look at the Outlook (and Acadia). I think my loaded Outlook (every option except DVD movie screen) not aonly is as luxurious as the Enclave, and has the 19 inch tires with upgraded suspension, HIDs, leather and Navigation system, but I got it for 41K instead of 45K. I used the 4 thousand dollar difference to take the family to Hilton Head this year.

Sure, I could've purchased an Enclave for 41K or even 36K, but at those prices it wouldn't be nearly as luxurious as my Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

I completely back up what you're saying as well--before we actually went to the Saturn dealer, she asked me on too different occasions (despite the fact that I had said the Outlook was the same as the Acadia save for trim and the interior) "Are you sure the Saturn isn't junky? I always thought they just made little, cheap cars that weren't too great?"

After a drive, she was impressed, and like I said, I believe actually would have bought on the spot had the right color/options combo been there (though, in reality, that's a rare thing), then we saw the GMC. Liked the GMC inside, because of the lack of wood, but nothing too different.

And the Buick, I actually wasn't sure what the reaction would be, because she saw the concept on TV a while ago and asked me about it, then saw it again and didn't like it, and I wasn't all too sure if she'd like the plusher, more puffed look over the other two sportier ones. But, she did, and it wasn't really a bias towards it based on past experience, more just an "Oh, yeah" kind of remark while driving that it was nicer, like "expected"--the same reaction she had with a LeSabre and Lucerne. They're the refined luxury of GM, mostly, and that's what had stuck with her.

Your Outlook most definitely is luxurious, and in top trim, all are almost equal in that sense. I think here it was just a combination of the unique look, the noticeably quieter than quiet and smooth drive, and the seat and trim differences with the standard cloth that sealed it. I'm glad now, too, I've had a chance to experience all 3 on various road conditions and different climates, and can tell the specific differences of each aside from features.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 AM   #13
skydrive

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
I admit to being bias AGAINST Buicks (cars for old people) but I have no pro Saturn bias. I'd never been in a Saturn showroom until this year. I thought they were junk until I took a look at the Outlook (and Acadia). I think my loaded Outlook (every option except DVD movie screen) not aonly is as luxurious as the Enclave, and has the 19 inch tires with upgraded suspension, HIDs, leather and Navigation system, but I got it for 41K instead of 45K. I used the 4 thousand dollar difference to take the family to Hilton Head this year.

Sure, I could've purchased an Enclave for 41K or even 36K, but at those prices it wouldn't be nearly as luxurious as my Outlook.
You're rightfully proud of your Outlook, for it is a great vehicle, but little of what you say makes any sense. First, your admitted bias against Buick is silly. If Saturn can change (remember, you thought they were all "junk"?), then why can't Buick? Buick has been thought of as an old person's car, but guess what? Younger people have been buying Buicks starting with the Rendezvous, now the Lucerne and Enclave. These models have attracted people in their 40s & 50s, not just those in their 70 & 80s. What is your point in holding on to this bias?

Second, according to Saturn, your Outlook's "upgraded suspension" package consists of nothing more than the 19" wheels and tires and chrome exhaust tips.

As far as pricing goes, with the 2008 increase on the Outlook, a fully loaded Outlook XR AWD such as yours fetches $42,400, while a similary equipped AWD Enclave is $44,080 (plus Buick's longer warranty). The price difference isn't much when you factor in the Buick's exclusive features. It may boil down to a style preference, but I can see plenty of people considering the Buick over the other Lambdas based on looks, features for the money and less than significant differences in pricing. Your idea of luxury may have lead you to the conclusion that your Outlook is more luxurious, but I wouldn't be surprised if many who cross-shop these vehicles come to a different conclusion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive View Post
You're rightfully proud of your Outlook, for it is a great vehicle, but little of what you say makes any sense. First, your admitted bias against Buick is silly. If Saturn can change (remember, you thought they were all "junk"?), then why can't Buick? Buick has been thought of as an old person's car, but guess what? Younger people have been buying Buicks starting with the Rendezvous, now the Lucerne and Enclave. These models have attracted people in their 40s & 50s, not just those in their 70 & 80s. What is your point in holding on to this bias?

Second, according to Saturn, your Outlook's "upgraded suspension" package consists of nothing more than the 19" wheels and tires and chrome exhaust tips.

As far as pricing goes, with the 2008 increase on the Outlook, a fully loaded Outlook XR AWD such as yours fetches $42,400, while a similary equipped AWD Enclave is $44,080 (plus Buick's longer warranty). The price difference isn't much when you factor in the Buick's exclusive features. It may boil down to a style preference, but I can see plenty of people considering the Buick over the other Lambdas based on looks, features for the money and less than significant differences in pricing. Your idea of luxury may have lead you to the conclusion that your Outlook is more luxurious, but I wouldn't be surprised if many who cross-shop these vehicles come to a different conclusion.
There is an upgraded suspension with the touring package. (i didnt believe him either) This was confirmed by several people on the saturnoutlookforum.net and acadiaforum.net when they had the dealer add 19inch tires. It consisted on a beafier sway bar and some other items

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
thebrakeman
thebrakeman is on a distinguished road

"Are you Sure You'd Rather Have An Enclave?"

There are better ways to relay how pleased you are with your Saturn, that wouldn't imply that those purchasing the Buick are silly.

Anyone is entitled to their opinion, and you may agree with the author's point about styling and handling. But your point in this thread (as evidenced by the title), is to inflame others, and not so much to inform them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thebrakeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thebrakeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I admit to being bias AGAINST Buicks (cars for old people)
I guess old people are only allowed to drive soft riding big cars, and only old people apparently. Young people should like hard riding "sports cars"

Quote:
I'd never been in a Saturn showroom until this year. I thought they were junk
You missed out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
I guess old people are only allowed to drive soft riding big cars, and only old people apparently. Young people should like hard riding "sports cars"

You missed out.
Every time I see a Buick LeSabre on the road, it's being driven by somebody with white hair and lots of wrinkles. My in-laws were part of that crowd. Nothing but Buicks.

And I never said what old or young people SHOULD be driving. I never even mentioned young people. I said Buick has a senior citizen image and it's true. Buick executives have admitted it, which is why they signed Tiger Woods a few years ago. They want to change their image. So far they've failed. Older citizens are still the most reliable and loyal Buick target market.

When the company admits it, you know it's true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #18
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd09 View Post
There is an upgraded suspension with the touring package. (i didnt believe him either) This was confirmed by several people on the saturnoutlookforum.net and acadiaforum.net when they had the dealer add 19inch tires. It consisted on a beafier sway bar and some other items
Thank you. I lot of Saturn salesmen don't even know it, but that's not surprising considering what few details many salesmen have learned about the car they're selling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd09 View Post
Sorry but i dont believe it is fact. I test drove both the outlook and the enclave and they both are the same in quietness. As far a luxury goes, the only difference i found was a little more wood trim
I drove the Acadia and Enclave back-to-back on the same road course, and the Buick was definitely quieter, smoother riding (the Acadia had the 19s), and softer feeling overall.

My full comparison:

Buick Enclave review

Which looks better and drives better? Aside from the visibility issue, it's all a matter of personal taste. Which does, in my opinion, belong in a review. Few aspects of a vehicle can be objectively evaluated.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #20
skydrive

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Anyone is entitled to their opinion, and you may agree with the author's point about styling and handling. But your point in this thread (as evidenced by the title), is to inflame others, and not so much to inform them.

I agree completely. He's awfully defensive and overly "proud" of his vehicle. I think the Lambda trio consists of fundamentally strong crossovers with enough differentiation to appeal to different tastes. Who cares if someone chooses one over the other and why be so bent against one of them because it isn't to your liking?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!