SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
w0by
w0by is on a distinguished road

Default 1996 Saturn SL2 horn replacement

Hey there just wondering the horn is barely working on my Saturn SL2 1996. I found the horn behind the headlight and disconnected it but I can't figure how to actually get to it to unscrew it and put the new horn in. Anyone have a clue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to w0by's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help w0by reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
w0by is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
davebugs
davebugs is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 1996 Saturn SL2 horn replacement

I forget but I think it's simpler from under the car to remove the horn. I got a generic 2 wire for under 10 bucks instead of the pushing 50 the dealer wanted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davebugs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davebugs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebugs View Post
I forget but I think it's simpler from under the car to remove the horn. I got a generic 2 wire for under 10 bucks instead of the pushing 50 the dealer wanted.
You did get a relay for that right? If you didn't, you're likely to burn up your clockspring if you use that horn much.

Shoot!!! Now I'm doubting myself. What year did they go to the relay built into the horn?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

I removed my horn (which was mounted on a small bracket), and installed a set of cheap ($20) hi-lo horns in its place. I used the flat metal bracket supplied to mount the extra horn, using the original hole to attach it (picture both brackets making a "V", mounted where they come together).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0by View Post
Hey there just wondering the horn is barely working on my Saturn SL2 1996. I found the horn behind the headlight and disconnected it but I can't figure how to actually get to it to unscrew it and put the new horn in. Anyone have a clue?
Take off the horn and bracket as an assembly by removing the bolt (#3) on the bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 863271.gif (31.7 KB, 222 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
You did get a relay for that right? If you didn't, you're likely to burn up your clockspring if you use that horn much.

Shoot!!! Now I'm doubting myself. What year did they go to the relay built into the horn?
'96 has a built-in relay, so your admonition is appropriate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
'96 has a built-in relay, so your admonition is appropriate.
Thanks

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
davebugs
davebugs is on a distinguished road

I sold the car. The new horn seemed to work fine. I must admit that I don't use a horn much. It worked fine without the relay. I didn't realize that it might cause a problem. I'm definately not an electrical guy.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davebugs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davebugs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Jay2000
Jay2000 is on a distinguished road

w0by, you do have a 3 prong connector, right?

You need the 2nd generation horn.

I removed the headlight assy. Then 2, 10 mm screws, facing down. Then slide the assy toward the middle of the car and set aside (this can be tricky). Then you can get to the one screw holding it to the car, as in the diagram above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jay2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jay2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
w0by

Yes I bought the horn a few days ago (3 prong) from Saturn but I just couldn't figure out how to get to the old horn because the headlight was blocking it. I'll try to get the headlight out.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to w0by's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help w0by reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Take a look here

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #12
w0by

Wow, that video was awsome. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to w0by's Reputation
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
w0by

Thanks...with your help I was able to install the new horn last night at around 12am with a flashlight and it only took about 10 minutes. Very easy! Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to w0by's Reputation
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
LesTrafik
LesTrafik is on a distinguished road

My horn didn't work on my 97 Saturn SL2. The plastic around the electric posts that extend from the horn was cracked and the relay sort of rusted itself to the horn.

But I was skeptic of those who say that the relay or horn is a common failure. I was able to save my old relay, albeit a bit rusty on the connector, and install it on a $10 universal horn. (And, how often is a horn used so that it fails?)

If you want to know how I did it let me know and I'll post it (expect a long reply).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LesTrafik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LesTrafik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LesTrafik is offline   Reply With Quote