SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
paulstefano
paulstefano is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
Default Torn...Outlook or Acadia

Did anybody consider the Acadia while shopping? What made you buy the Outlook?

I am shopping now, and I am torn. I am looking for the base level AWD for each, with the only added option, the DVD player.

With that, the pricing is almost identical. The only difference is the Acadia has foglamps and a roof rack. I need a roof rack, so I was adding in the preferred package for the Outlook.

So, what's so much better about the Outlook?

thanks for your input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulstefano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulstefano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulstefano is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Torn...Outlook or Acadia

All things being equal (and I guess they're not really, since you can't get the roof rack you need) I think the Acadia looks better anyways. The thing the Satrun has going for it is the sales and service departments behind it. If the GMC dealer is as good, go for the Acadia for sure.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

We chose the Outlook because, at the time (March), the only Acadia's on the lots were LOADED (44k+). So, we would have had to order a GMC, AND try to get it for invoice price, when Saturn had what we wanted in stock, and the Saturn MSRP came pretty darn close to the GMC invoice pricing. Now that we're later in production, GMC is probably more willing to negotiate, and, hopefully, have a better mix of options in stock.

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the biggest part is just looks, and the second being that the Saturn "everybody pay MSRP" pricing is closer to the invoice (or discounted) level you have to try and get on the GMC.

There's nothing that's "better" about the Outlook, unless you just prefer the looks. The only other thing to consider is location of dealerships (i.e. usually fewer and farther between with Saturn), and any past experience with them. Saturn's whole experience generally ranks a bit higher than other brands, but it's all personal experience specific.

We're in the same thing right now, as my mother wants to look at and drive some as a potential Suburban replacement. I like the Acadias looks the best, just a bit more techie and chromed, with the Outlook in a close second with a cleaner, more Euro look. Options and price-wise, though, I can option an Outlook exactly the right way with things I can't on the Acadia, and the price is still better from the start. So, we'll see which wins if there's a final decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
thebrakeman
thebrakeman is on a distinguished road

One thing that may come into play is seating. If you want 7-passenger seating, but don't want to pay for leather, go for the Acadia. To get 2nd-row buckets in the Outlook, you have to get leather seats, which is more $$$.

If you were going for the mid-level, things change. For us (if/when we get into the market to buy), the upscale Outlook XR has options we'd want (HID headlights, etc) that aren't available on the mid-level Acadia SLT1. You can get them on the SLT2, but that's much more expensive thant the XR Outlook and adds more standard stuff we wouldn't need. Plus I like the look of the Outlook more. Acadia is a little too flashy/chromy looking for my taste. Enclave looks too Japanese. Outlook looks sporty, but not too flashy.

Someday!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thebrakeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thebrakeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
paulstefano

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
One thing that may come into play is seating. If you want 7-passenger seating, but don't want to pay for leather, go for the Acadia. To get 2nd-row buckets in the Outlook, you have to get leather seats, which is more $$$.

Someday!
That's the thing. I confirmed yesterday with the Saturn Retailer that Cloth 7 passenger seating is now available on both the XE and XR for 2008.

I was about to buy the GMC, even laid down a deposit, but the addition of the 7 passenger to the XE makes me want to stay with Saturn, as I like the retailer much better.

I plan to drive the GMC tomorrow and that will be the final decision maker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulstefano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
KennedySaturn
KennedySaturn is on a distinguished road

Hate to burst the bubble brakeman but for 2008 the outlook can have the captains chairs without leather! Figures it took a year but its now an option.
Greg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KennedySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KennedySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KennedySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Styling shot down the Acadia for us. Wife didnt like it. Thought it was too trucky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

The Outlook is available with a $1000 rebate (2007 models) or a $500 rebate (2008s), while the Acadia has no incentives at all. I think the Saturn is more attractive on the outside (save for the tacky XE black bodyside moldings), but the GMC is more stylish inside. I think the Acadia's tail lamps are very cheesy and I don't like the weird kink in the headlamps (looks too much like the lamps on the Ford Edge or Expedition).

Here's the link to the rebate info:

http://www.gm.com/shop/currentoffers...nty=&region=ne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Outlook08
Outlook08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

When did it change that you can now get 7 pass. w/o leather. We ordered our Outlook July 19 (delivered 8/31) and we were told we HAD to get the leather to get the 7 pass.

If this is true it kinda pisses me off. But whats done is done.

Thanks.

'08 Saturn Outlook XR FWD
Cream White/Black Leather
Premium Trim
7 Passanger
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Advanced Audio
DVD
Dual Skyscape Sunroofs
XM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
paulstefano

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlook08 View Post
When did it change that you can now get 7 pass. w/o leather. We ordered our Outlook July 19 (delivered 8/31) and we were told we HAD to get the leather to get the 7 pass.

If this is true it kinda pisses me off. But whats done is done.

Thanks.
I think this JUST happened. I was looking at the 08 training manual with my retailer last night, dated July 26th, 2008 and it still said Leather was required.

They had just had a training session that explained the policy was changed. They got that trainer on the phone while I was there to confirm.

I'm glad they did this. It made no sense to me to require leather, and it almost pushed me away to GMC.

Of course a lot of the options make no sense to me. For instance, why does the Preferred package include Power Seat and Roof Rails? How are those two things related?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
mikedege
mikedege is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd09 View Post
Styling shot down the Acadia for us. Wife didnt like it. Thought it was too trucky
Us too... Wife liked the interior of the Saturn better. And since shes driving it, she chose. Personally I like the acadia looks better. but I already have my truck!

good luck, Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikedege's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikedege reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikedege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
It's a GMC...the Truck division.

The Outlook looks very sharp with that chrome door edging added to the horizontal bars of the grille. I know it sounds tackey, but the member's rides on here that have added it makes it look really good! I still like the Acadia a little better and the Enclave is just WOW! That's nice.

I also preferred the Acadia interior to the Outlook's when I checked them out at the Detroit Auto show, but then again, I now drive a 2004 Silverado and love it. The same can be said about the Enclave's interior as I said about the exterior, WOW! But the Enclave isn't really in the same segment as the other two anyhow.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
compnurd09

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
It's a GMC...the Truck division.

The Outlook looks very sharp with that chrome door edging added to the horizontal bars of the grille. I know it sounds tackey, but the member's rides on here that have added it makes it look really good! I still like the Acadia a little better and the Enclave is just WOW! That's nice.

I also preferred the Acadia interior to the Outlook's when I checked them out at the Detroit Auto show, but then again, I now drive a 2004 Silverado and love it. The same can be said about the Enclave's interior as I said about the exterior, WOW! But the Enclave isn't really in the same segment as the other two anyhow.
The enclave costs the same as the other 2. Both are built in he same plant so either is a solid option. It just depends on which style you like

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
The enclave costs the same as the other 2. Both are built in he same plant so either is a solid option. It just depends on which style you like
I know the platform and production facility is the same, but I thought the price was considerably higher.

EDIT: From gmcanada.com

Outlook: XE Front-wheel Drive $33,990
Acadia: SLE Front-wheel Drive $36,495
Enclave: CX Front-wheel Drive $40,895

A bit closer than I thought, but the Enclave is the true luxury rig out of the bunch, I doubt there is a lot of cross shopping.

Last edited by Uzzy; 09-06-2007 at 11:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #16
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Go with the Saturn. We looked at all three and the Saturn stands out overall with the look, inside and out as well as the cost. The Acadia's grill and headlights turned me away right from the start and the tail lights do look cheesy. The front and the back of the Saturn just has an overall more appealing look. The Enclave is definately more luxurious but with 2 kids that was not what I needed, plus the difference in the price. It appears the fog lights on the Acadia are not the same as the ones on the Saturn. I have had many cars with fog lights, good ones and bad, but the ones on the Saturn are very effective/bright, even though they are smaller. The GMC and Saturn dealerships are right beside each other here and it was easy to look at each one and see the differences that we liked and disliked. I am sure once you test drive all of them you will be able to tell which one will work for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #17
compnurd09

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
I know the platform and production facility is the same, but I thought the price was considerably higher.

EDIT: From gmcanada.com

Outlook: XE Front-wheel Drive $33,990
Acadia: SLE Front-wheel Drive $36,495
Enclave: CX Front-wheel Drive $40,895

A bit closer than I thought, but the Enclave is the true luxury rig out of the bunch, I doubt there is a lot of cross shopping.
Prices are much tighter in the US

CX Front wheel starts at 32
Outlook starts at 28
Acadia 30

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
compnurd09

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook33 View Post
Go with the Saturn. We looked at all three and the Saturn stands out overall with the look, inside and out as well as the cost. The Acadia's grill and headlights turned me away right from the start and the tail lights do look cheesy. The front and the back of the Saturn just has an overall more appealing look. The Enclave is definately more luxurious but with 2 kids that was not what I needed, plus the difference in the price. It appears the fog lights on the Acadia are not the same as the ones on the Saturn. I have had many cars with fog lights, good ones and bad, but the ones on the Saturn are very effective/bright, even though they are smaller. The GMC and Saturn dealerships are right beside each other here and it was easy to look at each one and see the differences that we liked and disliked. I am sure once you test drive all of them you will be able to tell which one will work for you.
Loaded Enclaves and Outlooks dont differ that much. The Enclave is just curvier and has a little more wood trim. Otherwise the options are nearly identical. I would have gotten an enclave mostly for the better warrenty but saturn gave me more for my trade

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #19
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Prices are much tighter in the US

CX Front wheel starts at 32
Outlook starts at 28
Acadia 30
Ya, prices over here suck-arse!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Other than being quite a devoted Saturn shopper, I'd go for the Saturn for its added exclusivity. I'm wouldn't be surprised if the Acadia is supposed to triple the Outlooks sales numbers.
I know when I bought my Vue back in '03, it was nice to have the only Vue in town for a few months. I only ever saw 1 the same colour as mine while I owned it. I liked that exclusivity.

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BradJK is offline   Reply With Quote