SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Default Intermediate shaft

I have been experiencing a rubbing noise and vibration in the steering column when turning right. Dealer tech duplicated the problem today and their diagnosis is to replace the intermediate shaft. First Aura they've ever had this problem with so my XR gets to be the guinea pig. Anyone else have this issue? Only about 4,800 miles on the odometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Intermediate shaft

Haven't had it in my Aura. I did have that happen in a Chevy Trailblazer once. I guess it's a GM thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cverstij View Post
Haven't had it in my Aura. I did have that happen in a Chevy Trailblazer once. I guess it's a GM thing.
ISS issues were more prevalent on W-bodies, but to say it's a GM thing is ignorant at best. A previous TSB (for the trucks and W-bodies) for this was to repack the ISS with a better grease and replace it. I guess we'll see if that's the case here too.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
dvam
dvam is on a distinguished road

Not yet but my OCD will probably imagine it later today now that you mentioned it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dvam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dvam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dvam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
optifluid
optifluid is on a distinguished road

I have a serv. appt for next week for what might be the same thing. I get a vibration and grinding sound in the steering wheel and brake pedal when I am turning the wheel as the car almost comes to a stop...It happens more often when I am on a hill and only sometimes not everytime. I thought it might have to do with the brake hose issue but I'm not so sure at this point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to optifluid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help optifluid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
optifluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
MJD112379

I get the vibration and rubbing type noise (I guess you call it "grinding", it's more like a popping sound though) when making right turns only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optifluid View Post
I have a serv. appt for next week for what might be the same thing. I get a vibration and grinding sound in the steering wheel and brake pedal when I am turning the wheel as the car almost comes to a stop...It happens more often when I am on a hill and only sometimes not everytime. I thought it might have to do with the brake hose issue but I'm not so sure at this point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L

K-1,

I don't think it's ignorant, I just haven't had good experience with GM (very bad customer service, some shotty mechanics about the vehicles, and tricks up the sleeves to try and skrew the customer). I didn't know my comments were going to get me shot at with low-balled name calling.

I'm entitled to my opinion, sorry if you don't like people who don't like GM.
And, yes, I know Saturn is GM. I just hope the Saturn outshines the GM problems that I have had in the past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
MJD112379

I have to say that my Saturn dealership (oops, "retailer") service department is great. I've never had such a pleasant experience getting a car repaired. Nice people who genuinely want to resolve the problem (and technicians who actually duplicate reported problems instead of pretending they don't exist). I hadn't gotten that experience from other non-Saturn GM dealers in the past.

Quote:
K-1,

I don't think it's ignorant, I just haven't had good experience with GM (very bad customer service, some shotty mechanics about the vehicles, and tricks up the sleeves to try and skrew the customer). I didn't know my comments were going to get me shot at with low-balled name calling.

And, yes, I know Saturn is GM. I just hope the Saturn outshines the GM problems that I have had in the past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
K-1,

Remember to separate the dealer from GM. Dealers are independently owned. Bad service at the dealer is their fault, not GM's. If you call Saturn's help line or whatever it is called and get bad service, then it is GM's fault.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
ISS issues were more prevalent on W-bodies, but to say it's a GM thing is ignorant at best. A previous TSB (for the trucks and W-bodies) for this was to repack the ISS with a better grease and replace it. I guess we'll see if that's the case here too.
True. Car-wise, it's still a common W-body (Grand Prix, Impala, etc.) problem, and has been even more of a problem on the full and mid-size GM trucks and SUV's. In the trucks in particular, there's been at least 5 different designs of the ISS, in addition to various new lubing techniques for dealers, but none still seem to be 100%. Very odd, but they claim it's a design issue...but no idea why it's never been solved.

That said, I've actually never heard of it happening with an Epsilon car, so hopefully it is just a very limited case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
moocow212559
moocow212559 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I noticed this problem on my test drive of a XR about a month ago in a demo with 5300 miles on it. This is also a VERY common problem found on all 00-05 Pontiac bonnevilles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moocow212559's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moocow212559 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moocow212559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

This should be a design issue. My Saturn L100 had an ISS problem as well. GM seems to let design problems carry over from car to car, model to model and decade to decade without solving them. Interesting. Ford seems to do the same thing with their brake rotors, which are made from the cheapest materials sourced from China.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
dav4891
dav4891 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

MJD, did replacing the intermediate shaft resolve the rubbing/vibration when turning right? My XE is going in on Thursday for the same issue It's got 20000 mi on it now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dav4891's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dav4891 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dav4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
MJD112379

I'll reply when it's done. My appointment is Thursday as well, they had to order the parts and the dealership is always very busy.

There are now only TWO Saturn dealerships in the entire Long Island, NY area. Another one in Brooklyn just bit the dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav4891 View Post
MJD, did replacing the intermediate shaft resolve the rubbing/vibration when turning right? My XE is going in on Thursday for the same issue It's got 20000 mi on it now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
knagy19
knagy19 is on a distinguished road

I have approx 13,000 mile on my XR
and have the same problem - a grinding clunking sound at slow speed when you are turning the steeing wheel
I am bring it in on wed to replace the intermediate shaft
The retailer said they had one other car do the same thing

I can make the noise by just turning the steering wheel standing still from lock to lock

Let you know when I get it back wed nite

Anyone have noisy brakes (as in all the time?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to knagy19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help knagy19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
knagy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Emanresu2
Emanresu2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I had this problem on an L-series Saturn - mine was noticable when turning left . They replaced the ISS under warranty, but said that if it was out of warranty they could have just re-lubricated it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanresu2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanresu2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Emanresu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
MJD112379

I HAD the noisy brake problem, too! The dealer resurfaced the front rotors and it went away. This happened with only a little over a grand on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knagy19 View Post
I have approx 13,000 mile on my XR
and have the same problem - a grinding clunking sound at slow speed when you are turning the steeing wheel
I am bring it in on wed to replace the intermediate shaft
The retailer said they had one other car do the same thing

I can make the noise by just turning the steering wheel standing still from lock to lock

Let you know when I get it back wed nite

Anyone have noisy brakes (as in all the time?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
grebmohr
grebmohr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

I have an intermittent metallic sounding "grind" usually during or after a left turn. is that the same thing maybe? I figured its a busted anti rattle spring and will catch it at next rotation- no degradation of performance of drive feel. Just sounds kinda like wear indicators on brake pads- but it aint that.

You can always find the edge by stepping over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grebmohr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grebmohr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grebmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #19
AuraXR
AuraXR is on a distinguished road

Guys,

Take it in and it will be covered under warranty. Simple as that. The shaft probably comes from a "Tier 1 or Tier 2" supplier which may have had a few get through QC. I am sure GM is addressing it.

Rgds,

AuraXR
36K and climbing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #20
MJD112379

Being repaired today. Currently driving a Chevy Cobalt rental...no power windows or locks, but oddly has the same driver information center as the Aura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD112379 View Post
I'll reply when it's done. My appointment is Thursday as well, they had to order the parts and the dealership is always very busy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!