SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
paulstefano
paulstefano is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
Default So, How's that Transmission?

I'm still shopping and the Outlook currenlty tops my list if it weren't for one thing...That darn transmission.

Everywhere I read, I hear about problems with "hunting" in the transmission and jumpy upshifting and downshifting.

Are these problems exaggerated?
Are they fixed in the 08's.
Is it possible to retro-fix an 07?

I love the car but reading about the "buttery smooth" Asin tranny in the Mazda CX-9 and the Hyundai Veracruz, has me leaning in that direction.

any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulstefano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulstefano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulstefano is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: So, How's that Transmission?

Have an '07. It's really programmed for economy, so it wants to upshift pretty early, and you can't be wimpy when you want to downshift/accelerate. If you want it to downshift, you really need to put your foot into it.

We have no issues with it hunting or being jumpy. It shifts very smoothly, you just need to be aware of the two points above.

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstefano View Post
I'm still shopping and the Outlook currenlty tops my list if it weren't for one thing...That darn transmission.

Everywhere I read, I hear about problems with "hunting" in the transmission and jumpy upshifting and downshifting.

Are these problems exaggerated?
Are they fixed in the 08's.
Is it possible to retro-fix an 07?

I love the car but reading about the "buttery smooth" Asin tranny in the Mazda CX-9 and the Hyundai Veracruz, has me leaning in that direction.

any thoughts?
Aisin transmissions are vastly over-hyped. The "issues" with the 6T75E are in the programming. Once a suitable, please-everyone algorithm has been written, you'll get updated if you ask and your "hunting" complaint is verified.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Aisin transmissions are vastly over-hyped. The "issues" with the 6T75E are in the programming. Once a suitable, please-everyone algorithm has been written, you'll get updated if you ask and your "hunting" complaint is verified.
I think GM has had more than enough time to figure this out. If they haven't found a suitable program its because they aren't making this much of a priority. Like any vehicle, try before you buy and if it is comfortable to drive then thats the one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
I think GM has had more than enough time to figure this out.
And you've written powertrain control software for how long again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

The transmission is not as bad as the reviews say. The only thing I do not care for is when you are on cruise control the trans will go to a lower gear quicker than my past cars/trucks even if you just go up a gradual slope, which means it is drinking more gas than I prefer. If the highway I am driving has alot of hills or slopes I will not use the cruise control as often. I compared the mpg when using the cruise and then not using it on the same highway that has hills and it makes a difference. Overall this vehicle has been a great choice. I averaged around 18.5 to 19 mpg around town the other day with the AC on and on a 3 hour trip last week on the interstate I averaged around 27 mpg. It all depends on how you drive it. It has a peppy engine and it is fun to have a "heavy foot" sometimes, especially in the manual shift mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

I have an 08(which already has the update) and the tranny shifts very smooth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook33 View Post
The transmission is not as bad as the reviews say.
Most of the early reviews were done on preproduction prototypes. About the only thing that translates from those are overall impressions, not specifics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

The reviews I am referring to are some of those found on different car web sites where actual customers have left reviews about their Outlook. Almost all are very positive, but some mention the transmission lag is one of the only things they wish they could change. There is a small lag, and it does shift forcibly or thrust sometimes to the lower gear, but this is a heavy vehicle as well. I have had my Outlook for 2 months now and if mine has been updated to correct the lag then I would have hated to drive the prototypes. I have driven many full size trucks, GM and Ford, and there are several that remind me of this transmission: feel and response that is. I would not trade my Outlook in for anything right now. The transmission was not a big issue once you look at the overall quality, features, price, looks, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
fleet6
fleet6 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

With the latest trans update, has there been any change in gas milage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fleet6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fleet6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fleet6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
STEVEMGT
STEVEMGT is on a distinguished road

STOP STOP STOP it has nothing to do with trans reprogramming is avail throught dealer right now takes about .5 hr and its fine after that when in dought call YOUR DEALER AND ASK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to STEVEMGT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help STEVEMGT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
STEVEMGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #12
compnurd09

2008 Outlook XR

That is correct the new 07 and 08(that werent factory changed) flash is at the dealers
If your car was built after 8/1 you should be good to go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
flyellowjacket
flyellowjacket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEMGT View Post
STOP STOP STOP it has nothing to do with trans reprogramming is avail throught dealer right now takes about .5 hr and its fine after that when in dought call YOUR DEALER AND ASK
We have the same problem when using cruise control even on gradual slopes (downshifting too early, at times even when it seems not to be necessary, then holding that lower gear too long after the "climb" is over). This occurs on trips outside of Florida, and frankly it's hard to recreate in Florida, specifically by the dealer it seems. So the question is there a specific sympton that the GM service database has this described under/as that will retrieve the reprogamming fix? Of course, my dealer says they have never heard of this problem and it seems to be working just fine driving around the dealership on flat land.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyellowjacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyellowjacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
MayorQuimby
MayorQuimby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyellowjacket View Post
We have the same problem when using cruise control even on gradual slopes (downshifting too early, at times even when it seems not to be necessary, then holding that lower gear too long after the "climb" is over). This occurs on trips outside of Florida, and frankly it's hard to recreate in Florida, specifically by the dealer it seems. So the question is there a specific sympton that the GM service database has this described under/as that will retrieve the reprogamming fix? Of course, my dealer says they have never heard of this problem and it seems to be working just fine driving around the dealership on flat land.
I have this exact same problem. I have an 07 Outlook and any time my cruise is set to 70 mph or over, when it down shifts for an incline it will not upshift back to 6th until I hit a significant decline. Otherwise if I shave a mile off the cruise setting and then add it back in, that will force it as well. I had to re-create it for my dealer because they couldn't do it themselves. They claim the problem has been logged and I am not the only one who has logged it, so I am suprised your dealer is saying that Saturn hasn't heard of this. Anyone know if this problem is fixed yet? I have a hard time getting info from the dealer....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MayorQuimby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MayorQuimby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MayorQuimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
CoolRides
CoolRides is on a distinguished road

A gentleman who appears to be one of, if not THE transmission SW developer for the Lambda platform is posting on the Acadia forum. Here is a link to all his posts:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/ind...7;sa=showPosts

It appears that the issue with cruise and others have been solved in the most recent code. It is in most 08's and will be available for reflashing '07s starting this weekend. The tranny I understand will still shift up a little too early though... still trying to keep mpg's up. The new code is supposed to make the vehicle feel much more smooth and responsive.

Check it out...

(I appreciate GM Engineering being this participative!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CoolRides's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CoolRides reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CoolRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
MayorQuimby
MayorQuimby is on a distinguished road

Thanks, thats very good news indeed. If that fixes my problem, then all my major problems with this vehicle will be solved....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MayorQuimby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MayorQuimby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MayorQuimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #17
thebrakeman
thebrakeman is on a distinguished road

Does the tow/haul button make a difference in any of this? If someone wants the thing to hold hears longer, I would think they could put it in tow mode.

Also, for those that get the downshift on slight uphill runs, but then it won't shift back up to 6th, if you hit the tow button on, then off again, will this reset the processor? Still an annoyance, but easier than manually shifting, or reducing speed then speeding up again.

Just a thought!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thebrakeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thebrakeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
compnurd09

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Does the tow/haul button make a difference in any of this? If someone wants the thing to hold hears longer, I would think they could put it in tow mode.

Also, for those that get the downshift on slight uphill runs, but then it won't shift back up to 6th, if you hit the tow button on, then off again, will this reset the processor? Still an annoyance, but easier than manually shifting, or reducing speed then speeding up again.

Just a thought!
I have the newest program and on my 08 and it will try and downshift still when going up hill. I have just learned i have to push the pedal harder and once i let off it goes back into 6th. After a couple of times it is so automatic now for me i dont even realize i am doing it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #19
fran073
fran073 is on a distinguished road

Idea Re: So, How's that Transmission?

Found on the Acadia Forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
Bulletin #07217A appeared today in GM Messenger at your local dealership announcing a "Customer Satisfaction Program". Applicable customers will receive a mailing announcing availability of the new calibration.

The subject of the bulletin is the availability of a recalibration for: "Certain 2007-08 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn Outlook; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave model vehicles may have customer complaints about drivability, particularly hesitation and shift busyness."

The bulletin specifies dealers/retailers are to reprogram the engine control module (ECM) AND the transmission control module (TCM).

The software appears to have become available for MY2007 vehicles in TIS 2 Web on 09/16/07; MY2008 vehicles on 8/19/07. TIS 2 Web is where technicians get the latest calibrations for download to the Tech2 tool over the internet. The Tech2 then is used to upload the software into the appropriate control module on the vehicle. A dealership may also receive updates via periodic DVD updates which, of course, is not as timely as use of the web update method.

The polite thing, at this point, would be for somebody to offer to buy me a beer. :beer:

I accept. Oldest brewery in America - cool. :cheers:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fran073's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fran073 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fran073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #20
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

This is in line with how GM did the 4 speeds when they came out. Durable but everyone hated driving them. By the time they had several years under their belt, they had been developed to be better than most. The General has never been known for getting it right the first try but they improve on things every year. This has been going on since I was first into cars (Allante, Fiero) and continues today (6 speed, interior of Vette, vibration in DI 3.6). Some companies have their way of doing things and this is it for GM. The good news is that it is probably very durable - just not that nice to drive. I would guess that each time they do a release and each model year it will get better and better. If they live up to their tranny history, we will probably read in '09 that this is the standard for transmissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote