SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
aurakr
aurakr is on a distinguished road

Default Edmunds XR steering woes

I have been following the Edmunds year long test of the Aura XR with great interest. It has been interesting to say the least. They started off with the idea that the Aura did not deserve car of the year.

They then stated the XR is only averaging 20 mpg compared to the 25 mpg of their long term Camry V6. I was able to discredit them when I pointed out that the L-T Camry had been on many long highway trips, obviously raising its mileage.

Then bad things started to happen. The power steering began groaning on the XR. Many people advised Edmunds of a TBS to fix this. However, before they got it fixed, it appears one of the editors popped off the top of the steering wheel. Has anyone else been able to do this?

Has anyone else had this problem? For further information, go to Edmunds.com, long term blogs to see. They are really tearing the XR apart right now. Any comments?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurakr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurakr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurakr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Edmunds XR steering woes

Mine is popping loose in the same spot so I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurakr View Post
I have been following the Edmunds year long test of the Aura XR with great interest. It has been interesting to say the least. They started off with the idea that the Aura did not deserve car of the year.

They then stated the XR is only averaging 20 mpg compared to the 25 mpg of their long term Camry V6. I was able to discredit them when I pointed out that the L-T Camry had been on many long highway trips, obviously raising its mileage.

Then bad things started to happen. The power steering began groaning on the XR. Many people advised Edmunds of a TBS to fix this. However, before they got it fixed, it appears one of the editors popped off the top of the steering wheel. Has anyone else been able to do this?

Has anyone else had this problem? For further information, go to Edmunds.com, long term blogs to see. They are really tearing the XR apart right now. Any comments?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Typical cycle of a new car - ignore. Who cares what others are saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD112379 View Post
How do you accomplish that task?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Is there a problem that a person has had, but you haven't? Seriously, every time a person comes in here with a problem, I see you post, " Mine does the same." etc..... Careful people might think you're a troll when you have every problem posted on these forums. You must be mad at Saturn for the low quality control that allowed your vehicle out of the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
MJD112379

Um, that area around my steering wheel really IS loose and I've pushed it back together a couple of times. I certaintly haven't had every problem people have posted on here, though I have had most of the major ones mentioned. I'm a quality assurance engineer for a living (not for cars, for software) so if I see a problem, or share the experience, I will say something. I am no troll.

Issues I've had:
Slow downshifting transmission, rattling sunroof (duplicated and fixed, do I need to scan my Saturn service receipt to prove I wasn't making it up to you or something?), squeaky front brakes (duplicated and fixed by dealer tech who resurfaced rotors, want a receipt for that too?), an Info button on my steering wheel that doesn't always work, a passenger seatbelt reminder light that doesn't light up and a noise in my steering when I turn right that the dealer will look at soon, the ticking tachometer issue (though mine only does it briefly when the car is first started) and a few design quibbles that aren't reliability issues but could've been done better by GM.

And I don't think the quality control was "low" but could be better considering the competition for this car. I'm sure the '08 Aura and new Malibu will have most of the issues addressed, at least I hope for GM's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Rules View Post
Is there a problem that a person has had, but you haven't? Seriously, every time a person comes in here with a problem, I see you post, " Mine does the same." etc..... Careful people might think you're a troll when you have every problem posted on these forums. You must be mad at Saturn for the low quality control that allowed your vehicle out of the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Lets not get into a troll-hunt - it's boring reading. Let's avoid attacking the person and address the problem.

I may have missed an earlier thread but could some forum member kindly describe the loose steering wheel 'area'?

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 AM   #7
MJD112379

It sure is, it's almost as bad as the endless domestic vs. import threads.

It's the top side of the steering wheel, the plastic piece that shrouds around the top of the wheel, as seen on Edmunds:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9dd52/cm...osure..ee9dd53

I noticed the plastic loose on mine several days before the Edmunds article was posted while I was cleaning the car and pushed the two pieces back together...mine hadn't gotten to the extreme in that picture yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerXR View Post
Lets not get into a troll-hunt - it's boring reading. Let's avoid attacking the person and address the problem.

I may have missed an earlier thread but could some forum member kindly describe the loose steering wheel 'area'?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Thanks MJD112379. I saw your mention of the 'slow downshift'. Would you mind expanding on how you addressed the issue with Saturn so that we can learn more about the problem (in the appropriate thread, of course)? I'm not calling you out, but entries such as those go a long way to dispelling the 'troll' epithet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Wow, I never seen that, and glad I don't have that.

I don't have the tachometer ticking problem either and my tranny shifts fairly well now that I had the update last September.

I do have the PS groan, the groaning brakes, the lopey idle, and others that were never mentioned like the creaks from the chrome trim around the shifter, the poorly aligned glove box door

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR
Attention Re: Edmunds XR steering woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurakr View Post

Yes, I have a comment. After considering the blog's contents, I have concluded that this thread is irrelevant as it is alarmist. The steering wheel shroud in my car is as solid as the one in my former VW. None of these complaints have made their way to NHTSA - if the problems were as wide-spread as is inferred, they would have been apparent in the ODI section of NHTSA. Look for yourself:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm

For the 07 model, there are only seven complaints, no defect investigations, and no recalls.

Into the pit of irrelevance, I banish you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
MJD112379

I think I posted about it a while ago, but at your request, I've added my experience to the "XR transmission follies" thread posted recently in this forum.

Quote:
Thanks MJD112379. I saw your mention of the 'slow downshift'. Would you mind expanding on how you addressed the issue with Saturn so that we can learn more about the problem (in the appropriate thread, of course)? I'm not calling you out, but entries such as those go a long way to dispelling the 'troll' epithet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
MJD112379

The lack of truly "major" issues is great for a first year model but the small stuff stuff shouldn't be dismissed...I'm in agreement with them about the steering column and the rear seat audio being cumbersome (one thing I noticed that I'm surprised they didn't mention with the rear seat audio that I noticed even before I bought my XR, but didn't care since I don't use the rear seat audio: assuming the outboard rear seat passengers are buckled up as they should be, how do they reach the controls in the center?)

Quote:
Yes, I have a comment. After considering the blog's contents, I have concluded that this thread is irrelevant as it is alarmist. The steering wheel shroud in my car is as solid as the one in my former VW. None of these complaints have made their way to NHTSA - if the problems were as wide-spread as is inferred, they would have been apparent in the ODI section of NHTSA. Look for yourself:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm

For the 07 model, there are only seven complaints, no defect investigations, and no recalls.

Into the pit of irrelevance, I banish you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
The lack of truly "major" issues is great for a first year model but the small stuff stuff shouldn't be dismissed
I agree. The steering wheel shroud is minor stuff -as is the noise a car makes in its regular operation. It certainly shouldn't be considered a 'woe'. The downshift hesitation, on the other hand - not so much (in my estimation).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
aurakr

SteelerXR

You think the post is irrelevant and alarmist? Edmunds is doing a long term test of the XR to see if it as good as the Camry/Accord. They started the test with the opinion that the XR isn't as good. The steering issue doesn't help to quell the notion that domestics aren't as good as the big two.

The reason I brought it up is that Edmunds is a perfect example of what has been going on for years with Honda and Driver, Consumer Reports, etc. They find ways to down grade the domestics, ie, better mileage, shoddy interior, crude sounding engines.

The mileage difference between their long term Camry and the XR was a perfect example. Edmunds says, we are only getting 20 mpg out of the XR. However, we are getting 25 mpg out of the Camry. See Japanese is better.
When challenged, and only when challenged, did they admit the incredible amount of highway miles their Camry had. If the XR had been driven the same amount of highway miles, its average mileage would be much higher.

I pointed this out on the SATURNFANS website to hopefully help keep Edmunds on the straight and narrow in their evaluation. I brought up the steering issue to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have had my XR for almost 10 months, no problem at all. I wanted to see if this was a factory issue, or did someone at Edmunds try to "FIX" something they should have left alone.

The more people respond and call out Honda and Driver, Consumer Reports, Edmunds when they are out of bounds, the better it will be for everyone, especially domestic manufacturers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aurakr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Um, that area around my steering wheel really IS loose and I've pushed it back together a couple of times. I certaintly haven't had every problem people have posted on here, though I have had most of the major ones mentioned. I'm a quality assurance engineer for a living (not for cars, for software) so if I see a problem, or share the experience, I will say something. I am no troll.

Issues I've had:
Slow downshifting transmission, rattling sunroof (duplicated and fixed, do I need to scan my Saturn service receipt to prove I wasn't making it up to you or something?), squeaky front brakes (duplicated and fixed by dealer tech who resurfaced rotors, want a receipt for that too?), an Info button on my steering wheel that doesn't always work, a passenger seatbelt reminder light that doesn't light up and a noise in my steering when I turn right that the dealer will look at soon, the ticking tachometer issue (though mine only does it briefly when the car is first started) and a few design quibbles that aren't reliability issues but could've been done better by GM.

And I don't think the quality control was "low" but could be better considering the competition for this car. I'm sure the '08 Aura and new Malibu will have most of the issues addressed, at least I hope for GM's sake.
Does anyone read the smilies these days? I put the after that for a reason. I was being sarcastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
MJD112379

This thread is getting hostile! Geesh. I get called a "troll" for pointing out I had a similar problem to Edmunds with the steering wheel and for pointing out other similar (or identical) problems I have also experienced with the car. It's not unusual for owners of the same model to have the same problems...I know that was the case with my old Grand Prix.

Can't we all just get along? I think I'm going to start a new thread with a positive theme: What we LIKE about our Auras!

Chevy Rules: OK so you were kidding, make it more obvious next time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

I see your point aurakr. Good luck with your efforts. I doubt that a Saturn forum carries any weight of impartiality in such an argument. Anyhow, even Edmunds now considers the Sonata miles better than the Camry or Accord - so their loyalty can change. Who knows what drives Edmunds.com financial motivations? Since access to the public is free, who pays their bills? Ultimately, car review sites are only collections of opinions - even test statistics are open to interpretations. I so wish that Top Gear were on US soil –they are biased too, but it is so much wittier.

The Japanese vs. US argument is overstated. How is GM to be considered a purely US product considering Opel, SAAB, Vauxhall, Holden and the like? Both Camry and Accord are built in the heartland of the US. A car merits its worth by its worth to the driver. Forget the flag-waving, it has always been a distraction for the masses.

Everyone is free to start an 'I love my Aura' thread. It'll have have different worth to different members. Personally, I see the forum as a collection of resources to maximise the enjoyment of our cars. Dealers are not always the best source of technical knowledge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
aurakr

SteelerXR

Thanks for the good wishes. I know I am probably tilling at windmills, but hey sometimes it is fun. It is just that in this day and age, it is so frustrating when, it seems, the majority of AMERICANS won't even look at domestic cars.

I know GM, Ford, Chrysler brought much of this upon themselves. No doubt.

All well, still and all at least I have had no problems with my XR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
AuraXR
AuraXR is on a distinguished road

I have done my own long term test of sorts and now have 34K on my Silver XR. Prior to buying my XR I was an Accord owner. All my Accords had issues to include rattles, road noise, mismatched sheet metal, hard starting V6, NAV system crash, brake vibrations, etc.

My honest opinion is that I think the Aura is a better overall vehicle in alot of areas that matter. The biggest thing it has going against it is perception and some minor teething issues that I hope GM will get resolved.

Did I experience the power steering whine? Yes. Was it fixed at no cost to me? Yes, it is very quiet now.

Has my steering wheel shroud come apart? No. How the hell did that happen

Did my tranny need the reprogram? Yes, works great now and it is quick to downshift on grades, etc. It actually feels better now than when brand new.

My brakes still have 60% pad left and have only been resurfaced once. Work great.

Interior is still very quiet and the ride is smoother than any Accord I had. Suggested improvements include leather center consule, leather on the door panels, grab handles, and a rear seat arm rest.

My average MPG when cruising 75 on the hwy is 26-27. Around town its 21.5

I recommend the Aura especially the XR but after 34K I am slightly biased.

Sincerely,

AuraXR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
SteelerXR

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraXR View Post
Did my tranny need the reprogram? Yes, works great now and it is quick to downshift on grades, etc. It actually feels better now than when brand new.
Encouraging long-term testimony, AuraXR. Could you please provide some details of the fix (in the appropriate thread). Much obliged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!