SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Mac248
Mac248 is on a distinguished road

Default Outlook - Gas mileage problems??

My 2008 Outlook is just a couple weeks old, but I am finding the gas mileage to be very disappointing. At 800 miles, I'm averaging about 12 mpg. It's a FWD, so it was said to be 16 and 24. I don't know if this is a typical problem or could be individual to my car - has anyone else experienced lower than predicted (promised - advertised...) mpg on their 2007 or 2008 Outlooks? If so, were you able to get any help or resolution from the dealer. Thanks for any info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mac248's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mac248 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mac248 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
jf7fsu
jf7fsu is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Outlook - Gas mileage problems??

My mileage has been miserable as well around 12-14. I stopped checking it. If I did not love this truck so much I might be mad!!

Outlook XR Cocoa/Black, Touring Pkg, Leather, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg, Molded Mudguards, Sidesteps, Remote Start, Hood Deflector, GMPP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jf7fsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jf7fsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jf7fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
Smee
Smee is on a distinguished road

Is that by the cars calculation or yours? My 08 XR AWD is running around 15 in town (wife) and 23 highway (me), cars calculation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
mpiersd
mpiersd is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
Is that by the cars calculation or yours? My 08 XR AWD is running around 15 in town (wife) and 23 highway (me), cars calculation.
Same here, I am averaging lower than stated on the EPA rating. Something around 14 city if I recall. The mileage has slowly been increasing as the truck breaks in though. The first tank averaged 15 mostly highway as we picked up the Outlook on our way out of town for a canoe trip.
And like above, it gets about 3-4 mpg better when I do most of the driving.

Outlook XR FWD
Silver Pearl, Black Leather
Trailering
7 passenger
Heated seats
Convenience

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpiersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpiersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
saturn.sara
saturn.sara is on a distinguished road

New cars never get good gas mileage when they are brand new. Once your Outlook gets about 7000 miles on it, it will start getting better gas mileage. It takes a little while for the engine to get "broke in". (Like a pair of nice leather shoes.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn.sara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn.sara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn.sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Post what your average commute is. If you don't drive the EPA test loop, you won't get the EPA numbers.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

I sure hope it improves, my wife just did a long trip with mild roads at about 75 mph and only reached about 22mpg. Granted this is better than our previous vehicle, but nowhere near the 26 mpg that was advertised for our FWD.

In travelling I do notice a significant decrease in mpg when increasing speed from 65 to 75. In a trip I took a couple of weeks ago, if I kept it around 65, I could get 24+, so that may be the secret.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

I am seriously considering buying a FWD Outlook in the next year but I am having second thoughts after seeing how poor the mileage is in the city. These numbers are worse than the outgoing Envoy/Trailblazer which had larger engines and were heavier vehicles. Anyone tried driving like there is an egg under their right foot? Does it make a big difference?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I've had my Outlook for almost 7 months and have over 11,000 miles on it. I drive in normally heavy traffic (stop & go) and get 17+ miles per galloon. On longer trips I get in the 20's. I have an AWD though. When I first got it, I was concerned over the gas mileage but the more mileage I put on it the better it gets.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

In the city, which is where we do most of our driving, we usually end up between 16 and 18 mpg with our FWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #11
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

15.8 mpg. Mostly city.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinneyZoo1 View Post
I've had my Outlook for almost 7 months and have over 11,000 miles on it. I drive in normally heavy traffic (stop & go) and get 17+ miles per galloon. On longer trips I get in the 20's. I have an AWD though. When I first got it, I was concerned over the gas mileage but the more mileage I put on it the better it gets.
My results are very similar. AWD and mostly highway driving.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
MP4-22
MP4-22 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

At 800 miles you can't even begin to sniff what the true MPG will be once the engine is broken in. Give it at least 2000 miles before you panic and 5000 miles before you completely freak out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MP4-22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MP4-22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MP4-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
MP4-22
MP4-22 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
I sure hope it improves, my wife just did a long trip with mild roads at about 75 mph and only reached about 22mpg. Granted this is better than our previous vehicle, but nowhere near the 26 mpg that was advertised for our FWD.

In travelling I do notice a significant decrease in mpg when increasing speed from 65 to 75. In a trip I took a couple of weeks ago, if I kept it around 65, I could get 24+, so that may be the secret.
Remember that the 26 mpg was 2007 standards. That same vehicle offered in 2008 is only rated at 24 mpg with the new more realistic (although still not reality) governmental standards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MP4-22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MP4-22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MP4-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
mireland
mireland is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Outlook - Gas mileage problems??

I just purchased an 07 outlook XR and was upset with 17 MPG on interstate for several hours. But then I realized what was going on. While looking at the fuel economy, press and hold the checkmark(reset) button - like reseting the trip.

If I do this while driving 60MPH (Cruise control), it shows about 28MPG after 5 minutes avergage.

Same thing while in town (Stop and go around 25mph), resetting again, I see abou 20MPG.

Now for the big surprise to me. setting cruse at 81MPH on the Interstate and after 5 minutes I get only 18 MPG.

Use the reset for Fuel uses, avergage speed, and fuel economy. I think you will be surprised as I was...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mireland's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mireland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
mikedege
mikedege is on a distinguished road

We average 16 city/21.5 hwy. It has gotten better as the car got more miles on it.

-Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikedege's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikedege reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikedege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mireland View Post
Now for the big surprise to me. setting cruse at 81MPH on the Interstate and after 5 minutes I get only 18 MPG.
why are you surprised? you are driving a BRICK at 81mph!
driving style is what most affects mpg numbers. just slow thefcuk down, accelerate carefully, and you'll see the #s get better.
why the h3ll is it that the fastest drivers on the road are in SUVs, and they complain the loudest about gas prices and mpg?
this is not a rant against outlook drivers, just an observation. you can't drive however the heck you want and expect great mpg #s.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #18
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Yeh at 81 you will get horrible mileage. I have heard 60-65 is the sweet spot for best mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
Quantify
Quantify is on a distinguished road

An additional datapoint...recent trip to West Virginia, about 4.5 hour ride from NJ. on the highway, got about 23 mpg with cruise set at about 74 most of the way, fully loaded vehicle. In WVA, on hilly two lane roads, got about 19 mpg.

I'm Satisfied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Quantify's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Quantify reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Quantify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #20
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
why are you surprised? you are driving a BRICK at 81mph!
driving style is what most affects mpg numbers. just slow thefcuk down, accelerate carefully, and you'll see the #s get better.
why the h3ll is it that the fastest drivers on the road are in SUVs, and they complain the loudest about gas prices and mpg?
this is not a rant against outlook drivers, just an observation. you can't drive however the heck you want and expect great mpg #s.
I don't give a damn about the gas mileage, so I drive as fast as I want.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote