SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY
Default Saturn wrecked, what next?

This is what happens when some Peruvian a-hole runs a red light w/his Dodge Nitro at 1:30am where he was "dining" cough*drinking* cough at Applebee's apparently. I wanted to choke him. Cops arrived, on their report a witness who stopped said it was his fault not mine. Any idea what the insurance people are going to do next? We both have Statefarm. Are they going to provide a rental till that time when I get another car? Should I buy this thing back assuming they junk it? What will the tow guy charge for that, do I have to hand over my title? Is there anything worth salvaging out of my daily driver?

I was doing 35 through a blinking yellow, he had a blinking red that he never paid attention to and he just ran into me doing maybe 20mph.

Sad as I JUST fixed the A/C(new seals) in that thing and upgraded the speakers/tires.

Is this worth fixing or not? It ran like a champ, 145xxx miles, had it for 2 years+ with no big issues. Anyone got one in the Midwest for sale?

Pictures of car "should be" on my profile, I'm new to this site and not sure yet about posting them onto this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn dead 004.jpg (67.6 KB, 82 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destro5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Saturn wrecked, what next?

A lot will depend on what kind of coverage you have and what state you live in.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Got Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability and comprehensive.

Should HIS insurance be the one paying for all of this though?

Been awhile since I've been in an accident, so I don't remember and my agent wasn't around to call today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Also, in Missouri

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

fix it if there is not mechanical damage. where in Missouri do you live?

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

St. Louis, Richmond Heights/Clayton area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

From what it looks like, its a "total".

My uncle is a State Farm agent. He explained to me(off the record) that they may "total" the car, and offer a settlement of the claim. You then have the option to buy back the car if you want to.

If it were me, I would see what the offer is, then make the decision. You may find an undamaged one for a good price.

Glad you werent hurt/killed. Saint Christopher was looking out for you!!!

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfather99 View Post
From what it looks like, its a "total".

My uncle is a State Farm agent. He explained to me(off the record) that they may "total" the car, and offer a settlement of the claim. You then have the option to buy back the car if you want to.

If it were me, I would see what the offer is, then make the decision. You may find an undamaged one for a good price.

Glad you werent hurt/killed. Saint Christopher was looking out for you!!!

Bob
Thanks for the kind words and help Bob! In just the short time I've been on this forum, everyone has been just great.

I'll let you all know what happens and what is offered. I believe, as much as it angers/saddens me, that my car is dead.
Just hate to see something that was so great for me get crunched by an idiot who isn't paying attention.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Considering you both have State Farm, it shouldn't be too bad to get resolved. Please let us know how State Farm handles this. I have State Farm and they've taken good care of me on my two small claims in the last 17 years. State Farm will have one of their people look at it to determine if it is worth saving.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Considering you both have State Farm, it shouldn't be too bad to get resolved. Please let us know how State Farm handles this. I have State Farm and they've taken good care of me on my two small claims in the last 17 years. State Farm will have one of their people look at it to determine if it is worth saving.
No problem, I should have more info once the police report is done and in my hands. By Thursday is what they said today. We'll see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I agree it's a total. They'll probably let you buy it back for a couple hundred or less. If it were me, I would but, I wouldn't fix it. I'd part it out. I bought a totaled SC2 for $200 and I've bought a Saturn with a cracked head and another with a blown transmission and I'm fixing them with parts from the SC2. The thing is that body work is something that most of us on here can't do and it costs real money to pay someone to do it. So, I don't.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

OK, here comes the first vulture.

If you do part it out, how much for the sawtooth wheels?

Is that interior leather? What about both front seats?

Figure I will use parts from your 94 to fix mine.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

The seats are cloth, sorry! As far as parting it out, well if enough buyer step forward and are willing, I'd be interested in buying it back and selling off the parts. What is a set of those wheels worth to you?

I ship daily w/ UPS so shipping wouldn't be an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

The insurance company will most likely total it. Weather it worth fixing depends on the damage under the hood. Cant see the upper frame rail or radiator support.

On a positive side, you can let them total it, buy it back and with the extra $$$, get a newer used non running Saturn. Swap over the good parts and you have a newer car with little or no out of pocket expense. Might even make a few bucks in the end.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
adhsc2
adhsc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

i had a 1993 SC2 that a guy ran over the front of with a dodge ram truck. they totaled it out. i bought it back from the insurance company...how that works is, they give you an offer on your car, after you accept, you tell them you want to keep the car, then they take out whatever the salvage yard was going to give them, then cut you a check and you keep your car. it was $100.00 to keep my car, so i got like $2400.00 2.5 years ago, would have gotten $2500.00 if i did not want to keep the car. used the good parts on another saturn and sold stuff to forum members, THEN sold it to the salvage yard for $126.00. i only paid like $1450.00 for the car, so i actually made money off of wrecking it...

hope you are as fortunate as i was in this case, and we are all glad you came out of the accident intact. good luck!

1995 Saturn SC2
Screw engines...I R HAVS A POWER MODULE!
Member of: Saturn Tuners Club - Southeast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhsc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhsc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #16
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

If I can add one more thing, listen to your agent.
Remember he deals with accidents all the time, plus he is paid(by you) to represent you in case of a claim.

This will go alot easier due to the fact there were no injuries and no criminal charges(he may get a ticket for running a stop)

As posted, Id wait and see what the offer is, you may be surprised...

Then you can make a "goodie list" for what you may need to fix it up, or look for a new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro5 View Post
St. Louis, Richmond Heights/Clayton area.
haha you live within about 30 minute drive of me...if i had a few hundred bucks sitting around i would make you an offer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The insurance company will most likely total it. Weather it worth fixing depends on the damage under the hood. Cant see the upper frame rail or radiator support.

On a positive side, you can let them total it, buy it back and with the extra $$$, get a newer used non running Saturn. Swap over the good parts and you have a newer car with little or no out of pocket expense. Might even make a few bucks in the end.
yes, to LowSaturn you listen!

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Here comes vulture #2 ...

Does it have a sunroof?

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #19
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
Here comes vulture #2 ...

Does it have a sunroof?
Sorry no sunroof, anybody interested in anything else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
aja8888
aja8888 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro5 View Post
Sorry no sunroof, anybody interested in anything else?
What year is your Saturn? Do you have a spoiler?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aja8888's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aja8888 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote