SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
saturnkimberly
saturnkimberly is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Can I have a step-by-step for fixing stuttering power locks?

My '96 SL2 has power locks that are driving me crazy. Unless the little "lock/unlock" switch is balanced just right in the middle, it starts stuttering endlessly, until the battery is dead. After reading many posts in this forum about similar problems, I was wondering if someone would just post a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot this issue.

I have already checked to make sure that the outside locks are straight up and down, at 12 o'clock.

Now, what do I check next - and on and on, in order, please. I don't want to end up ripping the door apart if I should have checked a mini fuse first...

thanks so much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnkimberly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnkimberly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnkimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: Can I have a step-by-step for fixing stuttering power locks?

The "12 o'clock key" thing doesn't apply to you; your car has RKE, and the "two key turns" function was deleted in '96 (no longer needed).

But you put your finger on it with the "Lock/unlock" switch. I presume you're referring to the rocker switch in one of the front doors, right? If so, you _might_ have some luck opening up that switch and finding a spring out of place or something, and getting it working better. But your more expedient option would be to replace the switch. Just look for one at a salvage yard. You have nothing to lose, though, trying to rehab the existing switch. Worst case, for the time being, just disconnect the wire connector from the switch, and at least your battery won't run down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Sounds like your switch is just plain worn out. Replace it. Hit a wrecking yard that lets you pull your own parts to get one. This way you can figure out how to get it out before you try it on your own car.

Remove the single screw from the door release handle. slide the handle to release it from the door. There will be a couple of rods that need to have the clips off of them to get the rods out. then you will be able to use a screw driver to unplug the connector and then push the hold in tabs to get the switch out of the handle. That or just take the entire handle.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
saturnkimberly

1996 SL2

It happens with both front doors - so could this be something electrical instead of two worn out buttons? I replaced the mini fuse (did nothing) and noticed that there are two big black squares under there that say they are the lock/unlock relays. What the heck is a relay? Could that be the problem? Should I replace those?

If you insist that I change out the buttons, I will do that but I'm just checking the easy stuff first... just in case...

Thanks so much for your help!!! This forum is the best!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnkimberly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

If it is just the two front doors instead of all four doors then that is likely something else. The switch should run all four door locks.

The lock and unlock relays woudl control all four doors so you do have something funky going on.

The rear power door locks are working properly yes?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
saturnkimberly

1996 SL2

The stuttering happens only when you have one of the front lock buttons pushed fully one way or the other. It affects all of the doors, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!