SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
Frez
Frez is on a distinguished road

Question 2007 Ion oil change....help

Guys, this is my first oil change with the new Ion we just purchased. I usually do all my own oil changes with all my cars. I've been reading the Ion is just a bit different with the oil filter and all. I'm looking for tips and know how's of the Ion oil change. Can you tell me about the computer and low life oil monitor also?

Is the Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic a good oil to use in these cars? Just looking for help and suggestions with my first oil change.

Thanks for your time and help.

2007 Ion (silver) with 14,500 miles on her. I bought it with just over 11,000 miles.

Frez

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frez is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Nismo
Nismo is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Ion oil change....help

5w40 is a bit heavy. I use Royal Purple 5w20.

From my understanding, the oil life monitor pops on at ~6000 intervals. To reset, make sure oil life is showing and just hold the reset button until it beeps.

The oil filter isn't hard, you just need the right tools. Either a big cresent wrench or a thin wall 32mm socket with a long extension for the ratchet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nismo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nismo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
saturn.steve
saturn.steve is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Actually, the oil life monitor works through the cars computer, monitoring driving habits. The more city driving that is done, the more often the oil should be changed. The more highway driving that is done, the less frequently oil needs to be changed. I have seen instances when the oil life monitor doesn't indicate time for change at as high as 8-10,000 km. But if you're like me, I don't think I could let mine slide any further than 5,000 km regardless of what the computer says. Just can't seem to trust those infurnal machines yet! Good luck with your first change and congrats on your new car.

"There are three different types of people in this world..... People that can count, and people that can't!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn.steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn.steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Frez

Picked up my oil filter at Walmart today along with the
5-40 synthetic Shell Rotella. I thought I seen a few post on here where a few guys were actually running this oil?

How does that black engine guard on top of the motor remove? I took a quick peek this morning before my wife actually left for work with the car and didn't see any way it came off. It must come off so you can get at the oil filter easier? I will be tackling my oil change tomorrow morning barring a massive hangover!

Thanks

Would like to hear some other educated opinions on Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
saturn.steve
saturn.steve is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Just remove the oil fill cap and PULL UP. There are two pins that fit into rubber caps that hold it on. One front right, the other rear left. Pretty simple.

"There are three different types of people in this world..... People that can count, and people that can't!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn.steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn.steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Frez

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn.steve View Post
Just remove the oil fill cap and PULL UP. There are two pins that fit into rubber caps that hold it on. One front right, the other rear left. Pretty simple.
Thanks brother, I appreciate the help and I can tell this forum is going to be handy.

Really like our 2007 Saturn Ion, so far. Love the gas mileage and they way she rides. Only 14,500 miles on it and I want to keep it in great shape.

Frez

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation
Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Frez

Did the oil change yesterday morning and it went really smooth. The oil filter thing was different for me, just never seen one like that. I have to say it was very easy and no mess at all changing that out.

I went with the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic oil from Walmart for 16.00 a jug. Car started right up and she purred like a kitten!

Thanks for all the help................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation
Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
frostypanic
frostypanic is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Not sure but I believe using any thing other than 5W-30 will void warranty. Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com. I have used only 5W-30 in my two eco-tecs Valv Durablend, Valv Max Life in wife's car, Mobil 5000, ,Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and currently Halvoline Full Synthetic bought at Big Lot's for $3 a quart. Got enough for 40K. Wife's car has 114K and my car has 134K oil changed in both according to OLM, 4K for wife's and 7K-7.5K for mine. Neither car uses a drop in between changes. We just did 2k mile trip in the wife's and car ran like a top the whole way and returned 31mpg-33mpg for every tank the whole trip. Will use Valv Max Life full synthetic when the Halvoline is gone. IMO use full synthetic when following the OLM and 3K-4K with conventional. The OEM filters are hands down the better built and stop into Pep-Boys and get the 32mm oil filter socket. Enjoy the ION.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frostypanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frostypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

It will "not" void your warranty..............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
z28com
z28com is on a distinguished road

Here are pictures of doing an oil change for the Ecotec engines.

The filter is a piece of cake to swap out. I do mine in just a few minutes. I am using the Amsoil 0W30. The last oil drain I did in my Ion was with the 0W30 having 34,200 miles driven on it. I had the oil analyzed and all of the readings were good except for the TBN level. Next time I will just use it until 30,000. I change the oil filter every time the oil change light comes on and leave the oil in there. I currently have 43,500 miles on my Ion and it doesn't burn a single drop of oil. This is the most cost effective oil on the market. I've read numerous stories of people putting hundreds of thousands of miles on their engines with this oil without ever rebuilding it.

Here's a guy who went 475,000 miles and the mechanic was in disbelief when he opened the engine.

Everybody I know swears by this stuff. I know many people who have been using this stuff since the early 1970's. Royal Purple uses Moly which is banned by Cummins. I would not use Royal Purple unless you're using the engine to race and your rebuild your engine on a regular basis. For a daily driver, I would just stick with Amsoil. I put a ton of miles on my car and I'm spending normally no more than $60-70/yr. or so for oil changes all year with this stuff.

If you use any other oil other than Amsoil, you will simply be paying a lot more money for lesser protection. Amsoil puts the wear tests compared to Mobil 1 and other popular oils right on the bottle. The wear scar for Mobil 1 extended is much higher than the Amsoil 0W30.

I saw some tests they did with the motorcycle oils and the motorcycle oil from Royal Purple came in dead last as one of the worst synthetics to use that had the highest wear scars.

Find an Amsoil dealer on the web and order the oil. This oil is sold through the mail. That's why you don't see it in stores. It's sold via word of mouth or through independent dealer web pages such as these.

Request a catalog from any one of those people and then ask them for help on which stuff that you will need.

Let's say I decided to go with a cheap $3 dollar mineral oil instead of a good $8 dollar synthetic. Do the math...

Conventional oil:
100,000 miles = 33 oil changes. 33 x 5 quarts = 165 quarts.

Amsoil 0W30:
100,000 miles = 3 oil changes. 3 x 5 quarts = 15 quarts.

165 quarts x $3 = $495

15 quarts of Amsoil 0W30 at about $8 bucks = $120.

See... conventional oil isn't much of a bargain after all with all of that extra money spent.

I sat down and ran these numbers over and over. I've yet to find another oil on the market that will cost me this small amount of money for the 1,000 miles per week that I drive. Plus my gas mileage went up about 3-4 MPG. That makes the Amsoil free from the fuel savings. That's something you don't get from conventional oil. What's wrong with that?

Look into it. If you're a penny pincher, this is the best oil to get. Your engine will never wear out. You'll trade your cars out of bordem other than engine failures. Trust me.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to z28com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help z28com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
z28com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Alant2b
Alant2b is on a distinguished road

any reason not to use firestone's in-house synthetic blend of 10w30?

My dealer told me Saturn will use any excuse to back out of repairs especially for oil change reasons, reason why I did my religiously at dealer for 3 years but I stopped now that out of warrenty on my 04'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alant2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alant2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alant2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
z28com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alant2b View Post
any reason not to use firestone's in-house synthetic blend of 10w30?

My dealer told me Saturn will use any excuse to back out of repairs especially for oil change reasons, reason why I did my religiously at dealer for 3 years but I stopped now that out of warrenty on my 04'
You need to get the ASTM results of that oil and I can bet any amount of money you want that you won't get a 4-ball wear test showing .373 or smaller. Even Mobil 1's SyperSyn oil is .6 which is almost twice that of Amsoil's.

The dealer cannot back out of repairs for the oil. That is against federal law. That's why they have the Magnuson Moss Act which forbids manufacturers from specifying a particular brand of product.

If any damage is found caused by an oil failure, Amsoil will pay all of the repair cost. They have this warranty in writing. They have never had a single oil failure in over 30 years. This can be easily tested with oil analysis. For example, say you went 15,000 miles on regular oil and then the engine seized. They would take a sample of that oil and know for a fact that you drove way over the 3,000~ miles that it was designed for.

Like I said, Amsoil is cheaper than anything out there, even Firestone's stuff. Just do the math. Look at how many quarts of oil you would use for 100,000 miles of driving and then compare it to Amsoil's. Then multiple the number of quarts used times the dollars spent. Also factor in all of your time and hassles wasted driving to quick lubes to do oil changes. Some people drive a good distance to get an oil change, then sit and wait and then drive back. That could easily be an hour wasted or more. A friend of mine had his oil changed and bawked that it took nearly 90 minutes of his time one time because of all of the other people in line waiting.

I don't know about you, but my time is valuable. And the less time I spend messing with a car, the better.

Even with the 3 or 4 oil changes I do every 100,000 miles with the Amsoil, I hate doing. I own 3 cars right now.

If I did the Jiffy Lube special every 3,000 miles on 3 cars... look at what it would cost for 3 cars to go 100,000 miles each:

99 oil changes total for all 3.
One of my cars takes 7 quarts of oil. The other two take 5.

(3,000 mile oil drains)
7 x 33 oil changes = 231 quarts.
5 x 33 oil changes = 165
5 x 33 oil changes = 165

That's 561 quarts of oil for 3 cars for the length of time if I did what most people do.

561 x $3/qt = $1683

The Amsoil way (35,000 mile oil drains with 0W30):
7 x 3 oil changes = 21 quarts
5 x 3 oil changes = 15 quarts
5 x 3 oil changes = 15 quarts
51 quarts x $8/qt = $408

Savings: $1275

Why do people like to do things the hard way and spend more money and more time to accomplish the same exact thing I just described? And on top of that, HAVE YOUR ENGINE WEAR OUT FASTER!!! You're not saving anything with cheap oil. With Amsoil you could put 500,000+ miles on the engine and it will still be like new inside. So NO BLUE SMOKE with high mileage and ZERO SLUDGE.

I'm trying to help you guys save a ton of money. I wish somebody told me about this stuff years ago. Lucky for you, I took time out of my day to spell it all out.

At the very least, you should go to one of those web sites above and find one one of the links to get a free catalog sent to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help z28com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks, z28com...you are my hero. Catalog ordered.

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
z28com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottmwz_finest View Post
Thanks, z28com...you are my hero. Catalog ordered.
You will love the savings. I would just try not to go much over 30,000 miles on the 0W30 oil. It's rated for 35,000 miles. Most people who use screw on filters end up topping off with a little oil. That restores the "TBN" levels. With our Ions, you can swap a filter and check the dip stick and the oil will still be full.

When I drove a whole 34,200 miles on the same oil, I didn't have to add a drop and I went through 3 oil filters. My "OIL CHANGE" light never came on the entire time since I do all highway driving. But I changed it every 12,000 to 14,000 miles or so anyway. I drive about 200 miles per day, 95% highway. Because I drive so insanely far each day, I have to try to think of every possible way to save on gas and car maintenance otherwise this stuff will get way out of control. At 3,000 miles I went ahead and put in the Amsoil transmission fluid. I did this because 5 people at my work all ended up spending tons of money on new transmissions on all kinds of different cars. The last thing I need to do is spend $2,000-$3,000 on a new transmission while still having a car note because I went out of warranty with the high miles.

I don't know if any of you saw this, but when they set the World's Record for the fastest 4-cylinder, Amsoil was used in that car. I think that's pretty neat.

There's also an amazing comparison test they did in some New York taxi cabs to see how the engines would hold up when using Amsoil. They show them using the normal 3,000 mile oil changes and then in some of the cars they went 60,000 miles on the same oil just to see what would happen. And they welded the plugs on the drain pans shut.

I was a Mobil 1 user for many years. That's all I put in my cars. I fell for all of their flashy ads. I never bothered to do any real research or comparisons. Right now, you could never pay me to put Mobil 1 back in any car ever again. Check this out about Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil.

The proof is everywhere. I just talked to a guy tonight who has a friend who ran a race. They have a $20,000 dollar racing engine. He watched the car run the race and the car ran totally without coolant. The car ran the the rest of the race with the temperate guage pegged to the red. He said they opened up the engine thinking everything would be burnt up and there was nothing wrong with it. They put it all back together and still race with it. That's absolutely amazing. And I'm just using this stuff for my daily driver cars. This is good to know in case I want to start abusing the engine. At least I won't have to replace it anytime soon.

On that Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil link, there should be a catalog link at the bottom of that as well to request a free catalog. That's another dealer I found. All of this stuff is mail order, so you don't need a local dealer. Any one of the dealer links I listed will work. Just get one of those dealers to help you pick out what you need once you get the catalog in the mail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #15
Jedis
Jedis is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The dealer told me I could go 5k no problem with the stuff they had in the car. Using this Amsoil really lets you go 6 times furthur before doing an oil change? Makes me nervous waiting that long to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jedis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jedis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
Frez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedis View Post
The dealer told me I could go 5k no problem with the stuff they had in the car. Using this Amsoil really lets you go 6 times furthur before doing an oil change? Makes me nervous waiting that long to do it.
To me, I'd rather change my oil out @ 3000-5000 miles with Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic oil sold in Walmart for 16.00 a gallon.

Amsoil to me is just hype and very expensive. Somebody is making some good money of that stuff.

Show me an independent study that compares oils and make me a believer. I don't want to see an oil study done by Amsoil.

JMHO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation
Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #17
Frez

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28com View Post
You will love the savings. I would just try not to go much over 30,000 miles on the 0W30 oil. It's rated for 35,000 miles. Most people who use screw on filters end up topping off with a little oil. That restores the "TBN" levels. With our Ions, you can swap a filter and check the dip stick and the oil will still be full.

When I drove a whole 34,200 miles on the same oil, I didn't have to add a drop and I went through 3 oil filters. My "OIL CHANGE" light never came on the entire time since I do all highway driving. But I changed it every 12,000 to 14,000 miles or so anyway. I drive about 200 miles per day, 95% highway. Because I drive so insanely far each day, I have to try to think of every possible way to save on gas and car maintenance otherwise this stuff will get way out of control. At 3,000 miles I went ahead and put in the Amsoil transmission fluid. I did this because 5 people at my work all ended up spending tons of money on new transmissions on all kinds of different cars. The last thing I need to do is spend $2,000-$3,000 on a new transmission while still having a car note because I went out of warranty with the high miles.

I don't know if any of you saw this, but when they set the World's Record for the fastest 4-cylinder, Amsoil was used in that car. I think that's pretty neat.

There's also an amazing comparison test they did in some New York taxi cabs to see how the engines would hold up when using Amsoil. They show them using the normal 3,000 mile oil changes and then in some of the cars they went 60,000 miles on the same oil just to see what would happen. And they welded the plugs on the drain pans shut.

I was a Mobil 1 user for many years. That's all I put in my cars. I fell for all of their flashy ads. I never bothered to do any real research or comparisons. Right now, you could never pay me to put Mobil 1 back in any car ever again. Check this out about Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil.

The proof is everywhere. I just talked to a guy tonight who has a friend who ran a race. They have a $20,000 dollar racing engine. He watched the car run the race and the car ran totally without coolant. The car ran the the rest of the race with the temperate guage pegged to the red. He said they opened up the engine thinking everything would be burnt up and there was nothing wrong with it. They put it all back together and still race with it. That's absolutely amazing. And I'm just using this stuff for my daily driver cars. This is good to know in case I want to start abusing the engine. At least I won't have to replace it anytime soon.

On that Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil link, there should be a catalog link at the bottom of that as well to request a free catalog. That's another dealer I found. All of this stuff is mail order, so you don't need a local dealer. Any one of the dealer links I listed will work. Just get one of those dealers to help you pick out what you need once you get the catalog in the mail.

Are you an Amsoil dealer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation
Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #18
z28com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedis View Post
Think of it this way, if Amsoil has a written guarantee that the oil is made to last 25,000 or 35,000 miles and not only has been doing this, but has been doing it for over 30 years, don't you think that if this was all BS and lies, that people would have been blowing up motors left and right and that the company would have went out of business 20 years ago?

I've been using this oil in NUMEROUS personal vehicles and I put NO LESS than 20,000+ miles on the oil each time and not one single time have I ever experience a single engine problem nor have I seen any sludge. The gas mileage has always increased and stayed high the whole time.

It is absolutely ABSURD to go 5,000 miles on an oil change. You are falling for the BIGGEST GIMMICK in the car industry when you do that. When you do the 3,000 or 5,000 mile oil change, why not just put a big sticker on your car that says "SUCKER" for falling for all of that propaganda?

Believe me... just put in the Amsoil 0W30 and put no less than 30,000 miles on it and change the filters in the Ecotec motor every time the oil change light comes on and then drain the oil once you hit the one year mark. It's as simple as that. You will spend the LEAST AMOUNT of money possible if you do this and the engine will virtually NEVER, EVER wear out for as long as you own the vehicle. The most important fluid to also change is the transmission fluid. If you have a manual, you're very fortune. Automatic transmissions are prone to dieing once they have high mileage. They are also the most expensive to service as well as difficult to find shops that have flushing machiens. I called 15 shops in my area to find one place that was reasonable to flush my transmission fluid to put in the Amsoil stuff. I wouldn't trust Dexron as far as I can throw it. I've seen night and day differences in that stuff after switching to Amsoil. GM wants you to do everything possible to have that car die out of warranty. That is their scam so they can keep selling you new cars. I've been fighting with them for years to stop promoting Mobil 1 and Dexron. I don't know why they care more about making tons of money than saving people money.

Everybody complains that they have no money or no time. I've just given you the answers to solve BOTH of those problems. You can spend no more than 1 hour per year servicing your Ion or Vue doing what I just told you. You can drain the oil in 10-20 minutes and it only takes 2 to 5 minutes to swap out a filter in an Ecotec engine if you have the correct socket to take it off. We are very lucky to have cars that are so easy to maintain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #19
z28com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frez View Post
To me, I'd rather change my oil out @ 3000-5000 miles with Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic oil sold in Walmart for 16.00 a gallon.

Amsoil to me is just hype and very expensive. Somebody is making some good money of that stuff.

Show me an independent study that compares oils and make me a believer. I don't want to see an oil study done by Amsoil.

JMHO
I just proved the MATH that Amsoil is FREE!! How the hell can you say it's expensive?!?!?!?!

Are you a moron!!?!

Jeez.. Some people just NEVER GET IT! I've never seen such stupid and ignorant people in all my life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #20
Frez

Show me some facts!

I bet you sell Amsoil uh?

Amsoil = hype and a rip off!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frez's Reputation