SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
plum_saturn
plum_saturn is on a distinguished road

Question 1995 Saturn SL1 close to overheating

Ok, we have just replaced the thermostat on this car, it now has 160,000 miles on it. The coolant temp gauge runs at 1/2 when driving, goes to 3/4 with A/C running. It also goes to 3/4 in slow traffic or while at idle. I tried turning the A/C on, the rad fan does not come on as it should. I wanted to know where is the relay? I am thinking the fan is not coming on and is the problem, how do I fix this? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plum_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plum_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plum_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
saturnhouse
Advanced Member
saturnhouse will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 1995 Saturn SL1 close to overheating

Turn on the AC and look at the radiator fan. I think it turns on whenever the AC is on.

Also, check out threads on this board about the ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor), if its leaking (fairly common), it can cause problems with fan control. On your '95, if the ECTS has never been changed, that's probably the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
plum_saturn

Well, the fan does not come on with the A/C running, which has me worried. I will check into the ECTS info, I have also read about relays and fan motor problems....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help plum_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

To check the coolant fan.Remove the fan relay and jump terminal #87 to #30.Fan should turn on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEIerTmMyY4

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
brettkramer
brettkramer is on a distinguished road

1994 SW1

Hey richpin06, Cool video. Sounds like the person has a bad fan motor, the fan and motor should be easy enough to find at a boneyard. The cheapest thing to do is to always check any fuses or relays controlling operation of the fan first. You should definitely change your ECTS sensor while you're doing everything else, it's cheap & screws into your engine block just under your breather intake. Also be sure to check the cap that attaches to the sensor for rust and clean or replace if necessary.

1994 SW1 1.9L SOHC Auto Trans
Original Owner, 178,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brettkramer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brettkramer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brettkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettkramer View Post
... & screws into your engine block ...
Actually, it goes into the cylinder head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I'm not sure you have a problem yet. It's normal for the '95s and earlier to read 1/2 to 3/4 on the gauge. As long as it stays out of the red, it's fine. You said the fan doesn't turn on when you turn on the A/C but, does the A/C actually work? If the refrigerant is low, the compressor will not engage and the fan won't come on.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

That video rocks...IT ROCKS!!!!

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhouse View Post
Turn on the AC and look at the radiator fan. I think it turns on whenever the AC is on.
He already said it does not come on when the AC is on in his origional post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum_saturn
I tried turning the A/C on, the rad fan does not come on as it should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plum_saturn
I wanted to know where is the relay
The relay is in a box under the hood on the drivers side just behind the battery. Take the cover off the box and look at the underneith side of the cover, there is a diagram of the fuses and relays. Several of the relays are the same part number and therefor are interchangable. Since they just plug in, take one from somthing that you know works, (just don't take the A/C relay) and put it in the fan position. If it works, well there you have it. However I have the same question that BarnOwl has in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
I'm not sure you have a problem yet. It's normal for the '95s and earlier to read 1/2 to 3/4 on the gauge. As long as it stays out of the red, it's fine. You said the fan doesn't turn on when you turn on the A/C but, does the A/C actually work? If the refrigerant is low, the compressor will not engage and the fan won't come on.
What he said ^^^^

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
plum_saturn

Fan does not come on when AC is set on max. Cold air is coming out of the AC while I am checking this.

On highway, temp gauge sits right at 1/2 with AC off. Due to overheat issues, I have not tested the AC on the highway.

At idle, or slow drive the car will go into red line.

Swapped horn relay with fan relay (same codes on the relays), still no change. Horn still works with the fan relay.

New Tstat, plugs, wires & fuel filter installed with in the last 5 days.

Fan spins freely when moved manually.

At this point I am assuming these possibilities:
Ground could be bad.
No power to Relay.
No power to fan.
Fan motor is bad.

Since the fan does not come on while the AC is on, I believe it is a power or motor issue.

BTW checked all fuses, they do not look to be blown.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're only steps away from the answer; if you have a multimeter or a simple 12v test light/lamp/bulb remove the fan relay and locate socket pins 30 and 87. Measure the two sockets for 12v as there should be 12v. Or use the 12v test light the same way by placing one probe to socket pin 30 and the other probe to 87, the test light should illuminate. No light or 12v is an indication of a loss of 12v power from a fused outlet or lost ground connection. Successfully measuring 12v or test light illuminating means either the fan is blown/worn out or the wiring to the fan is faulty. Knowing there's 12v across socket pins 30 and 87 will allow you to wire a jumper across these two pins to power the fan directly. The ignition may have to be ON for this but you've already narrowed down the possibilities to either wiring or the fan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
plum_saturn

I have 163K on this saturn right now. I just bought a fan motor, multi-tester, and a new relay. I have read that relays will tend to go bad after about 10 years or so. I plan on installing the fan, and the relay on Saturday. The problem I am having right now is that the ends of my tester does not stick down into the pin holes. I did pull the fuses and check all of them again.

My one question is, if I stick my multi tester into the connectors of the motor, it should read 12v if I have the AC running?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plum_saturn View Post
The problem I am having right now is that the ends of my tester does not stick down into the pin holes.
Paper clips make great probe adapters.
Quote:
My one question is, if I stick my multi tester into the connectors of the motor, it should read 12v if I have the AC running?
Correct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
plum_saturn

Car overheated today, but I found something interesting. Seems I might have a leak somewhere. My reservoir was empty. I am not sure if there was an air bubble or not in the engine. I am going to have to chase this down, and it only developed today. I have not seen any signs of leaking. I am however putting a large piece of cardboard under the front of the car to see where/if it is leaking.

On the good news front, the fan now works. I would suggest unplugging the fan, turn on the ac, and checking the voltage there. I had power all the way up to the fan, so I assumed that is where my problem was. I did replace the fuses, and the relay just as a preventive measure.

The shroud was amazingly easy to remove. One bolt and then pull up. The hard part was getting it past the AC hoses. Some of the newer motors come with adapters, spacers, etc to fit your fan, so be careful how you put it together. Mine came with 2 spacers, two differnt washers, and an adapter. Third time was the charm.

But it is done. Thanks everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
brettkramer
brettkramer is on a distinguished road

1994 SW1

You most likely lost radiator fluid because as your car overheated, the fluid expanded and flowed out of your overflow tube while you were driving, that's why you don't see a puddle under the car.... the system actually did what it was designed to do and you should be ok. If, after you put new radiator fluid in, you still lose fluid, here are a couple of other areas to look at:
Other than the obvious issues with hose cracks are 1) Your Water Pump has rusted through, like mine did or 2) You have a crack somewhere in your pressurized radiator reservoir plastic tank, also like mine. In both cases I replaced both with new parts, however in retrospect, I should have went to a boneyard for the plastic reservoir, I think the part was $50 new, which is way too much. I also had an upper plastic fitting give way on my radiator, which couldn't be repaired, so I just replaced the radiator with a new version with a lifetime warranty.

1994 SW1 1.9L SOHC Auto Trans
Original Owner, 178,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brettkramer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brettkramer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brettkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

Did this latest overheat occur before or after you installed the new fan motor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
124sport
124sport is on a distinguished road

no power to fan, i jump 87 to 30 and no power. is there another fuse box besides the one under the hood?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 124sport's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 124sport reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
124sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #18
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you troubleshooting a cooling fan issue? If so, try wiring the fan directly to the battery; a good fan will scream, a worn out one will spin up and may be stopped by hand (carefully) or not run at all. The last two scenarios just means replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
bates
bates is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

i have a 93 sl1 the fan quit and was wired to a switch so it would work. i changed my ECTS its the one with 2 wires and that fixed my flooding problem along with my fan. its only about 11.00 at the parts store

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bates's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bates reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
Shinxxy
Shinxxy is on a distinguished road

Before I changed my thermostat my temperature guage would be steady around a quarter of the way. Then it would slowly over heat and increase. Now after i changed it, my temperature guage is steady around half way, and slowly increase from there. Could I have messed up putting it in? I think it's blocking coolant. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shinxxy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shinxxy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shinxxy is offline   Reply With Quote