SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
summer4077
summer4077 is on a distinguished road

Default Radio lights flashing??

Hello all,

I have a strange problem that I can't figure out. My 2004 Ion's radio lights flash in the morning. There is no rhythm to it, it's almost like it has a bad connection or something. This only happens once every few times I drive my car, and lasts for about 15 minutes then the lights stay on as normal. It's only the backlight behind the radio buttons and dials. The LCD display (if that's what it's called...the one that tells you the station, the song playing, etc), the dash lights, headlights, etc all work fine and there is no accompanying sputtering of the engine. It's just the backlit areas behind the buttons and dials. Any idea what's going on? It doesn't seem like it's a major problem, it's just extremely annoying and distracting and if there's a simple fix I'd love to make it go away.

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to summer4077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help summer4077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
summer4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Nismo
Nismo is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Radio lights flashing??

When it's doing this, are the headlights on? It could be a faulty dimmer switch. If it does it randomly, then yes, it sounds like a bad connection or the radio has something loose internally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nismo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nismo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
dm919
dm919 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Woah my ION does this too! I tried showing my wife and she can't see it. She thought I was seeing things. I figure once I get my in dash dvd/gps, that will fix the issue

2006 VUE FWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dm919's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dm919 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dm919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
summer4077
summer4077 is on a distinguished road

It does this when the headlights are on or off, and only in the mornings (I leave when it's dark) or at night. Again, it doesn't even do this every time I drive my car, only once every 4 or 5 times. And it only affects the radio lights, no others in the car--interior or exterior. It's very strange. This started about a month or 2 ago when it got extremely hot and muggy outside, think that could have anything to do with it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to summer4077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help summer4077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
summer4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
btrfl1562
btrfl1562 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

i get this when it is overcast or around dusk/dawn.

i have yet to take it in to saturn, cause it is random and never seems to happen when i have time to take it in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btrfl1562's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btrfl1562 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
btrfl1562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
yankclp
yankclp is on a distinguished road

I posted today about my 2005 Ion 3 having a bad crankshaft position sensor..and saw your post.
Back in June of 2005 (having the car since December 2004)..I went to the dealer and told him the same thing. just the radio lights flash and it will happen for no apparent reason ...hot/ cold /light /dark/ radio on/off....you got the picture!
Dealer swapped it out for a brand new one from the factory..they installed it in 30 minutes , and guess what...IT STILL DID IT!!!!. I never mentioned it again, cause drivability or the quality of the radio didnt suffer.
NO, we both can't be nuts...but after a while I just learned to ignore it.
MY 1995 Saturn SL1 was as near perfect as could be for 115,000 miles and 9.5 years of use. This ION I now have is not near as trouble free. Im thinking bout getting rid of it for something a bit more trouble free.
Saturn once meant something special..unique and AMERICAN...now..I ain't so sure anymore..another domestic brand in the race to the bottom:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yankclp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yankclp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yankclp is offline   Reply With Quote