SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Sad Sad Weekend - Losing a Loyal Friend and Family Member

It is with much sadness that I report we had to put our dog Sandy to sleep over the weekend. Our vet found a tumor in her lung about 4 weeks ago, which was diagnosed as terminal cancer. By this past weekend, among other things, she had stopped eating people food (she gave up dog food when she was first diagosed) and wanting to go for "rides" in the Vue... two of her last favorite pastimes. It was one of the most difficult decisions we've ever had to make. She was a great, loyal friend to my wife and I. We took her everywhere with us, and her absence has left a void in our hearts and home.

Taking care of her, going for lots of long rides in the evenings, and spending time to make her last month with us as good as possible, kept me from actively participating and updating SaturnFans. I've got a backlog of things to post, and a lot of email to respond to. If you've written to me and haven't heard from me in awhile, I will get back to you... I've just been a little distracted this summer.

Sandy will be missed.

Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axcta.500x500.JPG (47.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg ebnhv.500x500.JPG (65.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg oxjjg.500x500.jpg (42.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg wznlw.500x500.jpg (39.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg autxn.500x500.JPG (57.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg dtgai.500x500.JPG (65.5 KB, 39 views)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sad Weekend - Losing a Loyal Friend and Family Member

I'm really sorry to hear that Charlie. Losing a pet is always tough. Sounds like you made her years on this planet good ones, though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

From what you say, no dog could have asked for a better friend than you.

I'm sorry for your loss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Charlie

I am so very sorry for your loss of Sandy. It is never an easy thing to go through. From personal experince the best thing to do is to remember all of the good things and times with her.

We have gone through this twice in the last couple of years (the pet dog had a pet dog). We have not stopped missing the other two and never will.

I am glad you spent the time with her instead of here.

Smokey came to us in February.

Sam passed in January, 2007.

Montana passed in January, 2005.

Tom

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's rough losing a member of your family. She definately had a good taste in cars and people.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Sorry for your loss. I know what you are going thru.
Keep up the good work.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Sorry about the loss. My childhood pet was a beagle also named Sandy. She died of old age a couple of years ago. You made the right decision with putting her to sleep. Our Sandy was very ill at the end, and looking back my parents wished they would have had her put to sleep. At the time they wanted to let her go naturally.

We have two wonderful dogs now (well, at least one of them is wonderful, my wife's dog has behavior problems ). We adopted both of them, one from the pound and the other from a family. There are many wonderful dogs out there, and I was surprised at how much personality they have.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

My sympathy your loss. I have been through this in the past, and it is always tough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

My sincere condolences Charlie. I know what you're going through.

2 years ago we had to put our dog "Peanut" down. He was 17.5 years old. It was his time, we knew it was coming, we tried to prepare ourselves - but when we reached a point where we had to make the decision, it was still incredibly difficult and heart wrenching. We knew what we had to do, the vet knew what we had to do - we just did not want to let go. But in the end we did what was best for him. Sometimes I wonder why we don't treat human beings with as much respect when it's their time...

We got Peanut within weeks of buying our first house (could not have pets in the apartment before that). We didn't really pick him - he picked us. "Ride in the car" was his favorite phrase, and he got to ride in every Saturn we owned.

If you haven't already, read "Marley & Me" by John Grogan. I think every dog owner can relate to this book...

And after a little while, get another dog. Nothing against breeders, but there are great dogs out there in pounds & rescue groups just waiting for someone like you to take them home. You'll be saving a life - and I think Sandy would approve...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
goBoating
goBoating will become famous soon enoughgoBoating will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

My heart felt condolences. One of the saddest days of my life was a few years back when I had our german shepherd put down after a battle with cancer. Having to put them down sucks. As it turns out, our old greyhound died this weekend. But, he died sleeping in his favorite hole that he dug and I filled infinite times. I was sad to see the old boy pass, but, it was peaceful and right. He died comfortable and old and happy. Putting an old friend down is a different story. ... .somehow unfair, wrenching.

Beautiful animal, by the way. I love shepherds. Having lost the greyhound this weekend, it may be time to go find another big black shepherd puppy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goBoating's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goBoating reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goBoating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Charlie,

Condelences on you and your families loss. There is a poem of sorts that is quite appropriate here dealing with the Rainbow Bridge:

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

(The poem is from www.RainbowBridge.org)

Peace

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I am sorry to hear this Charlie. Often people say "I know how you feel" when they actually have never experienced what ever you may be going through. However I can truly understand your feelings at this time. I have had pets, mostly dogs, pretty much continously since I was 4 years old. Often several at one time and all of them were part of the family. Loosing family member is always hard.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Heart Re: Sad Weekend - Losing a Loyal Friend and Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It is with much sadness that I report we had to put our dog Sandy to sleep over the weekend. Our vet found a tumor in her lung about 4 weeks ago, which was diagnosed as terminal cancer. By this past weekend, among other things, she had stopped eating people food (she gave up dog food when she was first diagosed) and wanting to go for "rides" in the Vue... two of her last favorite pastimes. It was one of the most difficult decisions we've ever had to make. She was a great, loyal friend to my wife and I. We took her everywhere with us, and her absence has left a void in our hearts and home.
Taking care of her, going for lots of long rides in the evenings, and spending time to make her last month with us as good as possible, kept me from actively participating and updating SaturnFans. I've got a backlog of things to post, and a lot of email to respond to. If you've written to me and haven't heard from me in awhile, I will get back to you... I've just been a little distracted this summer.

Sandy will be missed.

Charlie

Charlie, My heart goes out to you and your wife for the loss of Sandy. My but she was beautiful. All of us who have been blessed with the companionship of a loving pet know what you are going through.

You are in our prayers, all of you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Aww, Charlie. I am sorry for your loss. I know how close we keep the furry (and feathered) ones to our hearts. She was very beautiful. You and your family will be in our hearts and prayers.

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MydnightMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

sorry for the loss charlie. i once had a loved pet taken from me. it wasn't too nice an experience.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Sorry to hear of this, Charlie. Take whatever time you need to deal with your loss but I hope you find a new dog fairly quickly. Good pet homes shouldn't stay empty for long

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
stocksaturn
stocksaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SC2

IT's Damn shame, I lost my best friend, Sprite, the 23 of this past JAN. ONE GOOD DOG. SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

HEY EVERYBODY! AFTER A 9 month hiatus, I'm back!
2005 V6 AWD Vue (Hue)39K K&N CAI/Syntec/NGK's-265 CHP/Open exhaust!
1993 Pontiac TA (Black bird) 122K-CAI-FOR SALE!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stocksaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stocksaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stocksaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Charlie, sorry to hear about Sandy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
zallen777
Advanced Member
zallen777 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XR

My condolences Charlie. It is truly losing a family member and will take time to heal.
Z

[url]http://www.zallenmusic.com[/url]
[url]http://zallenart.googlepages.com[/url]

2007 Aura XE
2007 AuraXR
05 Vue 5 spd manual
03 ION 3 Sedan Cranberry
03 ION 2 Sedan Black
99 SC2 Blkberry
95 SC2 Red

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zallen777's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zallen777 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zallen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The "Big C" is a *****. Sorry for your loss, Charlie.

I just found out yesterday that my grandfather has from days to weeks to live due to a fast-spreading stomach cancer. From seemingly good health to death bed in 3 weeks flat. Cancer is a *****.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote