SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

Default Mobile One?!?!?

I recently purchased a 07 Saturn Vue v6 AWD. Im coming up on my first oil change. I've heard not to change it to Mobile one till 5k, I've also heard it doesn't matter. I can't get a decent answer out of anyone. I know i will see a increase in MPG with switching.(then again i've already had a nice increase, going from a 4x4 Dodge ram to this)

What do your Guys/Gals recommend? Switch it right away or wait till i get a few more thousand on her??

Side Note, I love the Vue, Tow's a Camper Nicely as well..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightVue07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Mobile One?!?!?

I don't guess you didn't ask me... I changed out my factory fill and switched to Mobil 1 at 2500 miles. Everything has been great. Gas mileage is still continuing to increase as the engine is still breaking in. I have 7100 miles now. I have Used Oil Analysis to support that the engine is still breaking in nicely. There was an old wives tales spread around about engines not properly breaking in with Mobil 1. I don't believe any of them. Cadillac now uses Mobil 1 as factory fill for all their engines.

Go to my photos and read my UOA...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

I switched to Mobil 1 at 1200 miles. Currently have 3168. Nothing has blown up, so far. It has been hot here and I drive fast. Once the engine warms up, the temperature gauge stays in same place all the time. Either everything is fine or the gauge doesn't work......

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
MidnightVue07

Thanks Guys! Another stupid newbie question i've been meaning to ask, Does a CAI do anything for this motor? I've had all truck's and of course have always changed to a CAI along with Exhaust.

However there isn't a actual exhaust system out there, atleast that i have found that increases HP but still has little to No sounds. I don't want to be a rice rocket or "Ghetto".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Synthetic will do fine for your first change regardless of how few miles. However, many of us PREFER to let the original oil go the full distance (7500 or OLM) as well as possibly several more regular oil changes before switching. This is to 'brown-in' the engine and insure that everything is broken-in and seated as well as it can be. OTOH, a number of new premium cars come from the factory with synthetic, so it's really just a matter of preference. I usually will wait for 10K to switch and have had no problems with this regimen. Another reason for letting the original oil stay in for the full term is that it may contain a dye for spotting any oil leaks that may show up early, which is the most likely time they will. At least my 2003 did - the oil had a greenish cast to it in the daylight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Switched my mom's 2.2L VUE at 3000miles and now follow the OLM. No problems since. It doesn't use a drop and when the oil comes out, it looks almost good enough to go back in. (It's at about 15K now).

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Speedy
Speedy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightVue07 View Post
Switch it right away or wait till i get a few more thousand on her??
I switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles and have put it in every change there after. I plan to keep this VUE for a long time and treat it accordingly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
MidnightVue07

Im not sure what im going to do yet. I still have another 1500 Before im due anyway.

I do want to make the right choice as this vehicle will probably be around alot longer then my past have with getting married,buying a house etc.

The plan is to give this Vue to my Fiancee, in a few year's after we are settled down and can afford to buy another truck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Mobil is fine stuff but I'm using Motorcraft 5W20. ($10 bucks a jug at WM)
I'm thinking the motor will be around long after other things (like the trans) are dead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I switched out the factory oil around 1500-2000 miles to Mobil 1. Now I've got about 42,000 miles on it with no issues.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
kfraney
kfraney is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Mobil is fine stuff but I'm using Motorcraft 5W20. ($10 bucks a jug at WM)
Ditto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kfraney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kfraney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kfraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

I've used nothing but Mobil 1 on my '03 Vue and the engine self destructed @ 103,000 miles for no apparent reason. No warning, the oil pressure in the heads went away while towing. Uncertain as to what happened because these (3.0 liter) are throw-away engines according to the dealer. Got another used engine installed for $4000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivernut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivernut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Mobil 1 isn't wildly different than dino oil in the first place, so you shouldn't have any problems switching.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I've been using the Mobil 1 blend on my 06 Vue (V6 FWD) with no problems. I change the oil about every 5K. I don't wait for the oil life monitor as I figure I am in an severe use area in regard to temperature. My dealer says 5K is more than fine. The sticker I get when the oil change reads 4K til the next one.

I am planning on keeping the 5K on my 08.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
Mobil 1 isn't wildly different than dino oil in the first place, so you shouldn't have any problems switching.
True... What do you consider a TRUE synthetic oil for a car?

Royal Purple? Amsoil? Syntec? I'm using Royal Purple durning my next oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
True... What do you consider a TRUE synthetic oil for a car?

Royal Purple? Amsoil? Syntec? I'm using Royal Purple durning my next oil change.
I personally don't use synthetic, so I can't really answer that question. I was just making a point that for most people in most engines in most situations, there is negligible benefit to using synthetic, and its properties are so close to dino oil that the engine won't notice a difference.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
I personally don't use synthetic, so I can't really answer that question. I was just making a point that for most people in most engines in most situations, there is negligible benefit to using synthetic, and its properties are so close to dino oil that the engine won't notice a difference.
The gains in my mileage may have been from the engine continuing to break in, and not necessarily from using Mobil 1. I do have excellent UOA's from using Mobil 1. I'm curious to see if Royal Purple is any better.

It's been an extreme pleasure having the Honda engine, Everytime I check my oil level it's been perfect. No noticeable oil usage even after 2200 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #18
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

In the olden days, when dino oil was really funky sludgy junk by today's standards, using some exotic synthetic may have had some effect on the seating of the rings and such. Nowadays, the regular oil is as good or better than the synthetics of a generation ago.

The ONLY reason that you wouldn't want to switch to a synthetic on your first change is because you're going to do a short change interval and the only thing that a synthetic gets you, the average street driver (no matter how hard you think you drive), is a longer change interval. Unless you are using REAL bottom of the barrel regular oil, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. As Woflman's sig says (or said?), the two most important things about engine oil are 1) make sure there's always enough in the engine, and 2) change it now and then.

You may see a slight improvement in mileage by going from regular to synthetic, but unlikely. You may see a slight drop if you go to a higher weight of oil, but the recommended weight in the V6 Vue is pretty light already at 5W20, and I really wouldn't recommend going any lighter unless you're in a very cold environment, and even then, I'd say a 0W20 is pushing it. I have run 10W30 in the summer (100+ degree days quite often, driving in slow traffic with A/C on is definitely severe). I stick with 5W20 in the winter. I tend to do 2 changes a year nowadays (Spring and Fall), and regardless of whether I'm running a full synthetic like Mobil1, or the synthetic blend (I've used Motorcraft the rest of the time), my UOA has always come back clean over 50K miles.

Honestly, unless you are really truly RACING, or you are in a severe duty situation with really high temps and really working your engine, a good quality synth blend or even full regular oil is just as suitable as any synthetic. Mobil1 or whatever high dollar synth will get you more miles between changes, and may have a slight effect on mileage, but is it worth paying $20 extra per oil change? Well, that's your call. Personally, an extra $20 per change is worth it. Then again, I wait until it's on sale at Sams and buy it really cheap, so it's really < $10 per change extra to use Mobil1 over a regular oil or synth blend.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Goldvue
Goldvue is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Dino Oil for Vue works good.

Good advice Dante.......
Our 3.0 Vue has 116,000 mostly highway miles on it now and uses no oil between changes at every 5,000 miles. I use 10-30 from the Valvoline oil change station. I also have had them change the Synthetic Valvoline oil on my 2000 C5 Corvette for about 3 years now. Vette has over 90k and it will use a quart between changes which vary by the computer but of course are longer intervals than the VUE.
Goldvue
(At 67 I am getting too old to get under the cars much, so picked a good place to do it for me)

Last edited by Goldvue; 08-25-2007 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Too old to get under car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goldvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goldvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goldvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #20
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I recently swithed to Penzoil Platinum full synthetic in both of our Vues, no noticable changes or problems yet. I've used nothing but Penzoil in all of my vehicles since I was 16 (I'm 32 now), never had a problem. There's no particular reason I switched to synthetic, I guess I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I figure as long as you change your oil regularly, it really doesn't matter.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote