SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
tgermann1962
tgermann1962 is on a distinguished road

Default SL Blower Motor Replacement

It looks like I have to replace the blower motor: first 3 speeds don't work and when you run high speed it sounds like a loud grinding type noise. How does one replace the blower motor for a 2000 SL?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tgermann1962's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tgermann1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tgermann1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: SL Blower Motor Replacement

Welcome to the Board.

Potential of two problems. No low speeds is likely a bad blower motor resistor. The noisey blower on the remaining high speed is the blower or debris in it.

The blower is replaced by removing the wiring connector and then the three hold in bolt screws. Should be 5.5mm/7/32 inch socket.

The blower resistor should still be on top of the HVAC box. you would need to remove the dash cover and the defrost ducting to get to it. Same socket for the hold down bolts for is as the blower.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
tgermann1962

thanks for the reply! So the location of the blower is behind the two panels under the dash by the passenger and drivers side footwells? The plastic cover, if that is it, has like 5 or 6 screws holding it in. I just remove that, then remove the fan by undoing the 3 bolts that you mentioned that are holding the fan in place and a wire connector? I haven't opened the plastic cover yet so that is why I am asking.

So the switch and the fan can go bad at exactly the same time? Is that typical or just a bad coincidence?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tgermann1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Before you replace anything, TEST the resistor block first. There are specific resistance readings it should show at each switch position. A multimeter is cheaper than a new resistor block ($2.88 at Harbor Freight, at present). It's possible that the motor is so whacked that it won't run at the lower speeds (higher resistances). First thing I'd look for is a physical restriction (foreign object) in the motor or "squirrel cage".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Sounds like you found the blower motor.Here is the location of the blower motor resistor on the HVAC box.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a.../01HVACbox.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgermann1962 View Post
thanks for the reply! So the location of the blower is behind the two panels under the dash by the passenger and drivers side footwells? The plastic cover, if that is it, has like 5 or 6 screws holding it in. I just remove that, then remove the fan by undoing the 3 bolts that you mentioned that are holding the fan in place and a wire connector? I haven't opened the plastic cover yet so that is why I am asking.

So the switch and the fan can go bad at exactly the same time? Is that typical or just a bad coincidence?
The blower motor is under the glove box to the right. It has a two wire connector to it and does not require anything to be remove to get to it and remove it other then the connector.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

After rereading what you said in reply box #3 maybe you haven't found the blower motor.It is here.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...erlocation.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
acman
acman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC1

The three low speeds are controlled by the resistor block. High speed is direct battery voltage. What typically happens is the blower motor, as it gets old, starts to draw more current. The excessive current draw eventually burns out the resistors in the resistor block. Replacing just the resistor block will restore low speed operation, but only for a short while until the resistors once again burn up. You need to replace both the blower motor and the resistor block. There is a specification for maximum current draw, about 16 amps, but measuring that amount of current is usually beyond the capability of most home mechanics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
tgermann1962

So, do I have to tear apart the whole dash to test the resistor??

Looks like it is a pain to take that dash apart to replace the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
richpin06

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgermann1962 View Post
So, do I have to tear apart the whole dash to test the resistor??
No,just the upper trim:

Remove screws located under upper trim panel on passenger side of vehicle.

Disengage clips at locations by grasping edges of upper trim panel and lifting up.

Disengage hook-and-loop fastener attachment at rear of instrument panel upper trim by reaching under panel and lifting straight up.

Raise instrument panel upper trim panel enough to clear the VIN plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000-2002 dash pad.jpg (50.9 KB, 35 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
tgermann1962

thanks but that picture doesn't look like my dash. i am now seeing that i might have given wrong info. ouch! i have a series L car (as in LS-1). i see i typed SL. that was a pretty dumb typo mistake. how much of the advice in this thread doesn't apply?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!