SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
MJD1001
MJD1001 is on a distinguished road

Default test drove Vue RL and RAV4 back to back

After hearing the Redline Vues were in stock, I checked my local Saturn Dealership, and they had a few. I had the day off so I managed to test drive a new Redline Vue FWD and then about an hour later a Rav4 sport V6. This is what I thought:

-Vue did feel 'heavier' but in a way that extra weight made it feel more solid. I would still rather have it not weigh that much, but it didn't hurt the way it drove.

-Both handled about the same. The Rav4 did feel a bit lighter on it's feet, but the Vue held the corners just as well.

-Acceleration: The only time you noticed the Rav4 was quicker was in first gear...and the Rav doesn't hold first gear for long. So if you are racing someone from a standing start, of if you are crusing along at 20-25 miles per hour and decide to floor it...you will feel the Rav4 being a bit quicker (its enough to be noticable, but not a huge difference.) But under the other 95% of driving conditions, (accelerating through a turn, hitting the gas at 35, 45, 55, etc) they felt about the same.

-I personally liked the interior of the Vue better. The Vue actually made the interior of the Rav4 seem 'plasticky'. The Rav4 wasn't bad, but I'd give the edge in materials to the Vue (it looks ever better in person than in the pictures). The Rav4 did have what seemd to me to be considerably more room in the rear seat though.

Overall, the Vue is a little better than what I feared. The peformance difference is there against the V6 Rav4..but it is only noticable under certain conditions and you have to really pay attention to find it. Fuel economy may be a concern...but then again I thought the Redline looked a bit better on the exterior than the Rav4 even (although it would have looked 100% better if GM had given it 19" wheels stock instead of 18's.)

So based on what I learned today, testing both vehicles...looking at a few varieties on the lots..visiting the dealership....I came away with this conclusion.......If I was in the market for a $25,000 - $30,000 crossover, what would be my choice? The base Outlook. I never considered it strongly before, but in all honesty, for the money I think you get more with the Outlook than you do with the Redline Vue or the Rav4 sport 9especially since it already has a rebate on it, and the base model has just about any option I am personally interested in.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD1001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD1001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
tamigood45
tamigood45 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
Default Re: test drove Vue RL and RAV4 back to back

Nice review! The Outlook is an awesome vehicle too, but just a little to big for me, that is why I picked the RL over the Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tamigood45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tamigood45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tamigood45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

The RAV4 does have 3 rows of seats, better gas mileage and rear spoiler standard. The Vue is 3 grand less. The one thing that has kept me away from the RAV4 is that hanging rear spare tire, which is full size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
The RAV4 does have 3 rows of seats, better gas mileage and rear spoiler standard. The Vue is 3 grand less. The one thing that has kept me away from the RAV4 is that hanging rear spare tire, which is full size.
The spare tire makes a pretty dramatic entry into the passenger compartment if you back into something. Also a very nasty repair bill.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
MJD1001
MJD1001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Well, I was comparing the Redline Vue to the Rav4 V6 sport...in which case the Vue is not $3000 less (with current pricing the Rav4 is actually slightly cheaper out the door)...and the Rav4 Sport does not come with the 3rd row (only the limited does).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD1001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD1001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD1001 is offline   Reply With Quote