SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Carlyle
Carlyle is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default How do you bleed the clutch?

Could someone please point me in the direction of a how_to bleed the clutch?
Or post a new how-to?

"it's not that i like to pick on Hondas, but it's so easy..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Re: How do you bleed the clutch?

Not sure if the OEM can be bled, the ones from autozone you need to bleed..Its easier just get the OEM and just bolt it and your ready to go, the OEM is pre bled

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Try a search. There was a post a ways back from a person who said he was able to bench bleed a system. Not an easy task. If it is not too late, much easier to buy a pre-bled system.

My experience has been that if one cylinder of a master/slave clutch is bad, the other is probably not all that far far behind, at least with '70s vintage Toyotas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

If you are talking about the 93 SC-2 you show in your avitar, it can be bled IF it is still the origional master/slave system.

My wife used to have a 93 SC-2 and I bled it. On the side of the slave clyinder on the bell housing, you will find a bleed fitting similiar to the ones on the brakes. It may be partially recessed so you may have to look for it. But you bleed it as you would brakes. The master cylinder has a resevoir on top of it with a removable top. Make sure the resevoir is full. You will need a second person to help. Push the clutch pedal down and HOLD it down. The second person opens the bleeder on the slave. When the fluid flow from the bleeder stops, close the bleeder. The clutch pedal can how be released. Continue to repeat this process untill you have bled the system completely. Every now and then DURING the bleeding, BE SURE to check the fluid level in the resevoir. If it falls too low, you will put air into the system, keep it full during the bleeding.

Later models did not have bleeding capability and if the clutch hydraulic system has been replaced, the new one may not have it either. I know our 95 SL-2 does not have the capability to be bled.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I think this is the thread DonP mentioned. However, as others have said, you're better off just getting a pre-bled assembly. The bleed fitting Sky King mentioned on early models wasn't actually a bleeder screw. It was actually used to fill the system at the factory.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
mrclean92124
mrclean92124 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Bleed Sealed master/slave in-car with no mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 SLow View Post
I just finished going through hell chasing clutch problems after blowing a hole in the side of my bellhousing. After seeing lots of useful info about clutch related issues in the forum, I thought posting the directions that came with my new hydro assembly would be a be a useful addition. It's clean, dry, and doesn't require disassembling the slave.

I found it easier to bleed with the whole thing installed, with the slave hanging off the trans.

--- Twist the slave cylinder off the transmission, and point it vertically, with the pushrod facing the ground. With the cap off the reservoir, SLOWLY depress pushrod into the cylinder about an inch while watching the reservoir for bubbles. Repeat process until air bubbles no longer appear, usually about 10 to 15 strokes. With the cap still off, slowly press the pushrod in far enough to reconnect the bands on the retaining strap, if not already broken. Reinstall slave and replace the cap. Using short quick strokes, press the clutch pedal 20 to 30 times or until pedal is firm. Under normal usage, small anounts of air remaining will purge itself from the system. ---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrclean92124's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrclean92124 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
bfreehill
bfreehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclean92124 View Post
Bleed Sealed master/slave in-car with no mess!
Worked for me too.
in addition to multiple short quick pumps I would then block the pedal to the floor for 10-15 mins and repeat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bfreehill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bfreehill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bfreehill is offline   Reply With Quote